Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A More Mundane World (version 0.01)  (Read 5601 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
A More Mundane World (version 0.01)
« on: April 07, 2016, 03:00:25 pm »

A More Mundane World

Development Thread is here.   This thread is to so store feature information and to alert when a new release has been made.

This mod is an attempt in order to create a version of DF with the fantasy elements of the game being removed completely, to be replaced with real world civilizations.  This mod also has the potential to be utilized as the basis for further modifications in order to create mods to replicate works of fiction that do not utilize standard fantasy elements or are low fantasy.  As an example, this mod can be used as a basis to create a Song of Ice and Fire mod.

This mod aims to be able to provide a standalone experience as well.  The features planned and implemented are listed below.  Red indicates implemented, but not to the full extent.  Green indicates completed to my satisfaction at the current time.  The default color indicates it is not implemented.

Civilizations
1)   The Plains Republics (Basis in Roman Republic)
2)   The Plains Empires (Basis in Chinese Empires)
3)   The Desert Kingdoms (Basis in Egyptian Kingdoms)
4)   The Desert Outcasts (Raiders civilization exiled in the time before recorded history from the Desert Kingdoms)
5)   The Jungle City-States (Basis in Aztec Civilization)
6)   The Savanna Tribes (Basis in African Tribes)
7)   The Mountain Dynasties (Basis in Tibet)
8)   The Tundra Nomads (Basis in Inuit Tribes)
9)   The Tundra Kingdoms (Basis in Nordic Kingdoms)
10) The Marsh Merchant States (Basis in Venice)

Diseases
These will be set up to also be inflicted as curses by Gods.  With some, there will be aspects missing due to certain aspects not being modeled within the game.
1)   Smallpox
2)   Cholera
3)   The Bubonic Plague
4)   Measles
5)   Dysentery
6)   Typhoid
7)   Leprosy
8)   Diptheria
9)   Black Lung
10) Yellow Fever
11) Malaria
12) Radiation Poisoning
13) Pneumonia
14) Tuberculosis
15) -Other diseases to be added at later date-

Metal Overhaul
This means that rather than getting a standard metal bar, there are odds that you will instead get an impure version instead.  The odds will be modified based upon what is considered the technological equivalent of the nation in question.

Weapons and Armor
This mod currently is utilizing Grimlocke's Historic Arms and Armor mod, version 5a.  Things will eventually need to be expanded past it in order to account for weapons outside of the Medieval Europe that the mod models, but that is how things currently stand.

Version 0.01 is the initial version is released for the sake of solving a few issues I have come across that I am unsure as to how to solve.  Primary of which are that I am unable to figure out how the Tundra Kingdoms have disproportionately large numbers of population when compared to others, the other civilizations not seeming to expand effectively when I look over their site numbers using Legends Viewer, and the position of Consul not being filled within the Plains Republics.  The Raw files are here if you wish to assist in helping me figure out what is going wrong.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: A More Mundane World (version 0.01)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 03:08:29 pm »

PTW, dude. This will be awesome.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 06:27:56 pm »

PTW, dude. This will be awesome.

Here's something to consider about the future of the mod:
Decided to change how the overhaul of metals will work and charted out how the New metal system will be working.  Creating a single bar of Adamantium will require an investment of 256 iron ore and 8 pieces of adamantine ore in total, at worst.  At best, it will be 8 iron ore and 4 pieces of aquamarine ore, though making the smelters to skip the purification steps will cost a fair amount.  Don't worry, value will be jumped up proportionally, and the inclusion of iron will make the weight be increased to a reasonable degree.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:29:37 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 06:44:10 pm »

That sounds really awesome. Finally, Adamantine can be used as something other than whiffle ball bats.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:17:56 am »

Oooh, cool. This has my full endorsement!

I would be particularly interested in de-fantasized stock game as it would make a pretty good base for a 'full conversion history' mod, or pretty much anything else that has no need for elves and trolls.

I might have to borrow some ideas from the metallurgy mod, and of course if you need help with adding weapons/armor/etc be sure to ask.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:52 am »

PTW and a tiny little bump
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 02:06:53 pm »

Did you stop developing this? I was really looking foward to it :(

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 08:15:00 pm »

Hi,
I'm actually quite interested in what you have here! Would you like a hand? The easiest way by which to collaborate for mods I think would be to set specific goals within a timeframe assuming you'd like to co-operate :)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:36 pm »

Did you stop developing this? I was really looking foward to it :(

I haven't worked on it in a really long time, and right now I really don't have any time to work on it.  Really not sure where the files are on my computer anymore.  From what I can guess, I was nevera ble to figure out the problems that were listed as needing assistance at the end of the OP, possibly combined with difficulties integrating Grimlocke's mod with what I wanted to do with the metals since I seem to recall he changed values on some things.