Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Last Dwarves  (Read 11828 times)

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Dwarves
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2016, 10:00:35 pm »

great story! I really enjoyed it!!....

on a side note....
 How did you make statues of the particular gods? this is a feat I cannot figure out
Quote from: GoblinCookie
24th Opal 200:Statues installed
I would like to congratulate us on having carved out such beautiful statues to each of our gods and installed them so well in the Aqua Wheel. However the temple is in no sense complete, we should wait until we have installed the silverwood planks between the statues before we begin the process of smoothing and stone floor. However just when the finished installing the last statue, one of our number the presser Metuth Copperislands came down with a case of unproductive productive thoughts, much as Tath Birthearths did before; perhaps this is due to the syrupy, giddy goodness that we can all sense in the very air. It is clear that she does not have the workshop she needs to recover since she is staring blankly into space within the Aqua Wheel; thus we should use our anvil to install a metalsmith's workshop downstairs and carve out a gem cutting area below our fortress in case either of these things is what she needs.
Rodes Samlandimanir "Partnergirders", Expedition Leader

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 12:50:54 am »

order a statue to be made, then press d for details.

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 11:37:31 am »

order a statue to be made, then press d for details.
ok I did that but where do I find the list for deities... Or gods?

i'm sorry i shouldn't interrupt your awesome story with a silly question
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:21:14 pm by HoshiGiniro »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 10:01:33 pm »

Specify image - of existing historical figure (might crash the game, though, so save first).

PS: OPs like activity, especially related to fortress, talking is good.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2016, 01:26:59 pm »

11th Opal 201:The seating arrangements are illegal!
I am sure that you are preparing some self-congratulatory speech on behalf of us all for having assembled such a wonderous bismuth bronze moshos and installing it in the Bearded Eater Expedition Leader Rodes. However the seating arrangements we have in Tinpointed are in fact entirely illegal. Our first recorded king Ovulush Burnship decreed in Yr 0 that the seating arrangements in all sites under Wall of Gladness control have to follow a certain pattern.  I am also inclined to believe that Expedition Leader Rodes respects the law as a proper dwarf should and this is a problem born of ignorance that will swiftly be rectified of course.
Icatar Tasgul "Allyirons", Beekeeper.

Caption: The moshos is installed in the Bearded Eater (it is the gold inverted ?).

11th Opal 201:A response to seating arrangement legal concerns

While it *is* the case that our seating arrangements do not accord with those decreed by King Ovukush Burnship 201 years ago, this logbook is not a place for personal accusations of any kind to be made. The chairs and tables will indeed be rearranged so that they are in accord to the law, but they will be rearranged in orderly sections and not in some kind of chaotic, untranquil haste. We need to ensure that not only do our people survive in this new land but that our traditional culture lives on as well and to accomplish this we need to see to it that we have not only a moshos in the Bearded Eater but every form of instrument native to our civilization.  At present we have a moshos, two eknur, an umgot, a vid, an evush and three atlades; we do not presently have any obor, dus, gast, las, kigrek or vosal. Obors are made out stone and simple to construct so we should now make three obors in the craftsdwarf's workshop in the stoneworking area.
Rodes Samlandimanir "Partnergirders", Expedition Leader.

Caption: The moshos itself and what a moshos actually is.

22nd Opal 201:Obors are now complete

With all three obors now carved out of stone we should to the creation of other instruments.  That means we should now construct a fam, a dus, a gast, a las, a kigrek or a vosal.  At present we have the largest number of need components for a fam.  We need only bake some fam pipes at a kiln and chisel out a fam chest at a craftsdwarf's workshop and we can then combine them with our imported components in order to create a fam. In addition to this our bars and blocks stockpile should be expanded as soon as possible since we are presently completely out of space there to store all the adamantine wafers we have begun to smelt and the imported metal bars that are still in the trade depot.  In anticipation of the expansion's completion we should construct 20 wooden bins for later use in the expanded stockpile.

8th Obsidian 201:The newly legalized dining room and tavern

After many weeks of hard work we have finally completed the task of rearranging our furniture to the specifications of our long dead King Ovukesh Burnship.  Now Tinpointed shall be instantly recognizable as a dwarf fortress where everyone eats in orderly rows as opposed to a disorderly gnome fortress where everybody elbows eachother as they squabble for space on the crowded tables and chairs. The bars and blocks stockpile is while now carved out rather a mess at the moment with the task of storing the plentiful contents in our newly constructed bins not yet completed.  Wood stockpiles are low, but since the wasp eaters have passed over once again we can chop down a few trees to fill them up again.

Caption: The newly 'legalized' dining hall and Bearded Eater.

13th Obsidian 201:Mistakes about instruments

I made a serious mistake regarding fams; we did not need a fam chest at all, we have now ended up with four! What we needed was a fam keyboard but these are made out of glass which owing to a lack of sand in this area we cannot make, we will need to import either a fam keyboard directly or some sand in order to make our labours on this matter not in vain. I do believe that we can produce the components to assemble a las however, we already have a las body and can easily craft it's wooden neck, cloth strings and bone plectrum.  Out miners have work to do once again, as the fishing ban is due to expire soon and we will hence need to expand the food stockpile to accommodate the resulting fish; also make 40 barrels since we will need for the same reason and we can always cut down more trees.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2016, 09:11:57 pm »

Instruments, huh? Never brother with them myself....Not sure how the qualities stack together :P

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2016, 10:34:34 am »

Instruments, huh? Never brother with them myself....Not sure how the qualities stack together :P
i like to make the parts out of things that have high base value the best way to insure that it uses the best items is to use the 'd' for details in the workshop and pick from your stocks the most valuable base stuff ....if the 'd' menu wont show the other way is to put a stockpile right next to the shop that holds only the best stuff and the other things in a stockpile further away

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 02:55:54 pm »

Perhaps, but on the flipside: Traction benches care only about the material of table and skill of mechanic. 

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2016, 06:48:32 pm »

ok Yay i figured out how to do just the gods on my statues its great!

and i finally learned how to use the manager to help me make instruments!
feeling like a almost pro at this newb stuff

Where you go? I'm waiting for an update on your fortress!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2016, 09:04:04 am »

ok Yay i figured out how to do just the gods on my statues its great!

and i finally learned how to use the manager to help me make instruments!
feeling like a almost pro at this newb stuff

Where you go? I'm waiting for an update on your fortress!
I went on a camping trip for several days. Before that I had to spend several weeks worth of free time slaving away making Forgotten Realms Direforged 2.4, the mod ultimately has to have precedence over this story which is partly meant as advertising for the mod anyway and my writing has to have precedence over the mod.  Least forgivable of course is the period of distraction from a certain game, rather similar to Dwarf Fortress in it's mechanics called RimWorld. 

This update is the first update so far to use the updated mod raws, to a degree.  I took the files from the latest mod version and overwrote the original, out of date raw files with all their bugs and then I selectively added back in the content that had been removed since the mod's original version, this means that all the bugs in the mod fixed since then have been eliminated where possible, some hardcoded stuff in a savegame (entity positions for instance) have not been modified however. 

1st Granite 202:2nd Annual Plan.
The most pressing concern at present is the organization of our first election. I am of course going to be a candidate for mayor but for the sake of the Treasury of Knots reputation as a viable democracy I implore as many of you as possible to stand against me. To those of you asking why I am bothering to hold an election at all when my portrait is already carved into the walls all over Tinpointed, it is because the law and tradition of the Wall of Gladness demands that any stie government above 50 population hold annual mayoral elections. To those of you asking why I am writing this plan *before* the election I tell them that work must go on election or no election. As for those asking what my manifesto is, I have no time for fancy manifestos full of fine words. I say only that I and we shall continue to work tirelessly even when we have dug below the underworld and have built so far upwards that we can stand on the very stars of Igril.  This year as far a production for export is concerned our need for trading is much reduced but we should produce some amulets and what little cheese we can produce given the limited number of milk producing female animals we have. Mainly however we should focus on setting up our first serious military force. Their sharp weapons should be made for adamantium but they will need armour as well; not far to the southwest of our main staircase lies a vein of tetrahedrite, when smelted it will ultimately provide us with both copper and silver, the former to make armour out of and the latter to make whatever blunt weapons we should wish to make. Together the two metals also make sterling silver, my favourite metal as well. The other task the miners will need to take on in addition to housing whatever migrants should arrive is to carve out a hospital area for the injured and a barracks area for use by our future squads.

Caption: Last autumn's trade agreement with the Walls of Gladness.

1st Granite 202:The triumph of democracy
I, Isdith Paddlebraid have won the election and am now your new mayor. In this triumph of democracy there were 48 vote cast, 25 for the democratic unity candidate and 23 for the former tyranny. The days endless work are now at an end, now comes the time of productively spending time with friends and family. Democracy is ever magnanimous in victory however, regrettably even in the new democratic order hard work is still sometimes needed and who better to get us all working hard than our former tyrant Rodes Partnergirders; she is now manager. Rodes Partnergirders, doubtlessly in order to make us unable to function without her impressive memory, has completely failed to make any logs at all as to what our wealth consists of; the task of making such logs now falls to our new bookkeeper Icatar Allyirons. While Rodes Partnergirders does have experience with trading, her attitude towards 'greedy merchants' suggests that the experianced trader Icatar Boulderwhip should be our new broker rather than her.
Isdith Romecak "Paddledbraid", Mayor.

Caption: The new mayor Isdith Paddlebraid (Isdith means tower in dwarf).

1st Granite 202:Your new 1st Manager
So here I am as your 1st Manager, rather than Mayor as I expected to be. I am rather impressed as to how, despite I was the one with the solid block vote consisting of all my many friends and admirers, Isdith Paddledbraid was able to unite all 25 dissidents against me and win, rather than them being divided among two or more candidates. In any case, regardless of who wins or loses the election the immediate problem remains the same, we now need to build a government complex containing 5 rooms of suitable stature, in addition to one office of suitable stature as well. For the time being I shall remain within my existing bedroom-office where I will plan out the expansion. All furniture and doors should of course be made of silverwood, which means that a number of silverwood trees need to be harvested immediately. Since I already have a full set of silverwood furniture and a silverwood door in my own room, we wil need only 4 beds, 4 cabinets but 5 chests taking into account how the mayor needs 2 chests. On top of that we will need to make 7 silverwood doors as the complex will contain 8 doorways and I already have one such door.  Once we have smoothed down the stone and if the result is not grand enough engraving we should end up with a government complex worthy of the Treasury of Knots, failing that a few porcelain statues should add the needed splendor.
Rodes Samlandimanir "Partnergirders", 1st Manager.

Caption: Rodes is demoted to manager. (Rodes means cave in dwarf).

1st Granite 202:Your new 1st Bookkeeper
I am Icatar Allyirons your new 1st Bookkeeper. All in all it seems like you kept your word Mayor, since I did not care whether you or Rodes Partnergirders won the election I did the sensible thing and stood for mayor myself.  Not that I was going to ever win the election but by dividing up the vote I would have ensued that Rodes Partnergirders won; that being so I went to you Isdith Paddledbraid and offered to withdraw my candidacy to vote for you, all in return for you giving me a suitable position. Now I am bookkeeper, charged with calculating how many thousands of stinking fish we presently have in stock and other such matters, like counting the number of grains of sand in Tinpointed (it is presently 0). I will also get to live in a much nicer room, I care about that more than I care about holding the actual position.
Icatar Tosgul "Allyirons", 1st Bookkeeper.

Caption: Icatar Allyirons becomes Bookkeeper. (Icatar means hatchet in dwarf).

1st Granite 202:Your new 1st Bookkeeper
I am Icatar Boulderwhip. I am honoured to be your new broker Treasury of Knots and I hope that I will not let you down like I did the caravan I used to serve.
Icatar Uvakdugum "Boulderwhip", Broker.

Caption: Icatar Boulderwhip becomes Bookkeeper. (Icatar means hatchet in dwarf).

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 01:05:04 pm »

Yay for first election!
can someone explain to me what the next step in your fortress for government is?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:59 pm »

Are the "former tyranny" and "democratic unity" candidates both Isdith Paddlebrad?

(I jest, I jest. But still :P)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2016, 01:43:58 pm »

3rd Granite 202:People toppling statues.
I keep hearing reports of statues being toppled all over Tinpointed and those responsible I am sure are those three visitors, the human, the auride and the feathered encar who appear to have stopped doing their normal activities in the Bearded Eater, skulking about instead. What are you all so angry about? Is it that you did not get to vote 1st Manager Rodes into my office during the election? Or is it that the common room of the Bearded Eater is not a designated meeting area but merely a dining hall designated as a meeting area?

6th Granite 202:Government complex carved out.
Our miners report that they have carved out the rooms that will eventually make up the government complex. The statues are now back up again, though some improvements have been made to the statue layout in the Bearded Eater. Cikul Bronzecoloured has apparently blessed the location of our new complex with many gem clusters which now demand to be removed with any resulting gaps in the walls created as a result filled in with stone.

Caption: The initial rooms of the government complex are carved out of the stone.

8th Granite 202:Gemstones rescued.
It warms my heart to see such an array of gemstones safely rescued from the walls. Now that the basic layout of the government complex is finalized the next thing to do is smooth down the stone and install all the door, save the one on what will become 1st Manager Rodes room until we have an oaken door to place in the doorway of her present room. 

Caption: The gemstones are 'rescued' from the walls.

11th Granite 202:We have had enough!
The Treasury of Knots has had enough of you vandals! Every time you have toppled one of our statues we put it up again but we have been doing this for nearly 2 weeks now! I can now see why you are doing this vandalism, it is not because you could not vote in the election; it is simply because you can. I, Mayor Isdith Paddledbraid now appoint myself Captain of the Guard of the Treasury of Knots. I am going to find out which of you three are responsible for what crimes and I am going to see you punished! At present I know of six counts of vandalism, please come forward immediately with further counts of vandalism and tell me who is responsible,

12th Granite 202:The vandal has died.
When all the reports came in it became clear that Owetho Idelbaawarime deserved not only a 201 day sentence for her vast number of offenses but a proper beating as well. It appears however that what we of the Wall of Gladness would consider a 'proper beating' was too much for the human woman's frail frame to take and she has consequently died. Thus is this one final criminal act our lawless human 'dancer' has evaded the proper punishment by means of dying. I did however detain the auride woman Que Nusnimanum on a single count of vandalism and she will now will be spending the next 25 days in a cage.

Caption: Owetho Crushcandle sadly did not survive the beating she got from Isdith Paddledbraid.

14th Granite 202:Nucklavees have arrived.
A few days after I had to deal with all those criminals and now I have to deal with the arrival of a whole caravan of nuclavees and their Princess of Stomachs Vimara Imicagemefi; part of regrets all this extra work I have to do as mayor. Really disgusting creatures the nucklavee are, they are like 1-eyed centaurs but they have no skin on their bodies so I can see all their muscles; yuck! However it is the Wall of Gladness way to trade with everything that has anything of value; they have sand and we cannot produce sand ourselves. Since we had not planned for their arrival, we have nothing in particular to sell them, fortunately however we have accidentally made a fair bit more silverwood doors than we needed to make in order to furnish the government complex, this has turned out to be fortunate. I have given instructions to Broker Icatar that we should take the doors to the trade depot and sell them to the nucklavee in return for sand. I have also told Princess Vimara that I wanted a lot of sand next year, ugly as these nucklavee may be a long term arrangement can indeed be profitable. We have also used up all our silverwood mistakenly making doors so we could do with cutting 3 more silverwood tree down as soon as possible.

Caption: The trading agreement with the nucklavee.

16th Granite 202:Dullahan have arrived.
Now not only are we playing host to nucklavees but to dullahan as well. These strange beings look relatively normal in that they are bipedal and have skin but they actually have no heads, I had before that they had no heads but never had I believed it true or possible.  As unsettling as it is talking to a woman with no head I have been able to piece things together with Eco Boneinoline, their princess of stomachs; it seems they are organized along identical lines to the nucklavees. Apparantly she comes from the Enureyolufiya, which means the "Cardinal Citadel" in our language while the nucklavee are of the Bora Etenu, which is the "Throne of Carnage". Since the production of not only doors but government furniture as well appears to be so badly organised we have many items of silverwood furniture on top of what we need for the complex but no chairs or tables. The plan is to set up the furniture we need in the rooms now and then sell whatever is left to either nucklavee or dullahan in order to buy up all the sand belonging to both groups. However we should commence the production of porcelain craft in our kiln so that we do not in future have to rely on accidental overproduction when any future merchants should unexpectedly arrive.

Caption: The trading agreement with the dullahan.

20th Granite 202:The door destroyer identified.
For many days now I have been hearing reports of doors being unhinged or outright destroyed just to the east of the central staircase. Since it is outsiders that bring crime into settled and harmonious dwarf communities I have always known that the last of the visiters at liberty, the feathered encar 'bard' was responsible for this campaign of building destruction but now at last I have actual witnesses to the crime! It would be so much simpler if it was legal to simply round up all the outsiders as soon as a crime occurs and detain them for a month or two without charge but unfortunately I am not king of the Wall of Gladness and cannot actually make law. The furniture is now installed inside our rooms in the government complex and it is time for us officials to move in, except that somebody has for some reason installed 2 chests inside Icatar Allyiron's room; the room should have 1 chests and 1 cabinet. The office still needs work however, which means 1st Manager Rodes will need to continue to use her old room as an office for the time being.

Caption: The furniture is installed in the government complex rooms.

21st Granite 202:Update on punishment.
The feathered encar woman Chorcar Rianehel, on two counts of building destruction has been locked into a cage and will remain there for the next 50 days. The auride woman Que Nusriminum is due to be released in 16 days from her cage. In any civilized society lawbreakers must be caught and punished; Justice must reign in Tinpointed and it does reign, praises be to King Dugem Lancedvaults for his law.

22nd Granite 202:Trading completed.
Trading is now concluded with both groups of carmine fey, unless anyone has any more silverwood furniture to sent to the depot that is. I bought up all the sand just as instructed by my mayor. I also took the liberty, I hope that this is okay of buying up another anvil as well as much cheese as I could afford with an iron bar as well. We can set up another metalsmith's workshop using the anvil and make another anvil using the iron bar to build a third as well; while the cheese I bought so that we can resell it back to the Wall of Fights at a profit.
Icatar Uvakdugem "Boulderwhip", Broker.

26nd Granite 202:Migrant 'wave'.
The latest party of new members of the Treasury of Knots is grand, indeed so grand I will classify them as a wave, like a wave in the ocean. Having counted them myself I report that there are 24 of them, of which 4 are children which makes 20 adults. As there are four married couples among the migrants, that means we need only 16 rooms in order to house them all; but with 4 rooms freed up by us officials having moved into the government complex we actually only need to build 12 new rooms. Their construction should start immediately, with 12 doors, 12 beds and enough other furniture for 24 people. The silverwood chairs and tables are now done and should be installed in the office within the government complex; one this is done I claim one of the chairs allowing us to move the silverwood and chair from my old room into the office so that everybody can have a chair of their own.
Rodes Samlandimanir "Partnergirders", 1st Manager.

Caption: All 24 spring migrants make their way into Tinpointed.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2016, 03:43:59 pm »

Oh hey, gem clusters! I prefer to leave them in, though. Unique-looking engraving surface (magneta ones in particular have unique engravable color in game, but not like you can control the location of veins), and gems are pretty useless anyway - can't even look at them once encrusted on top of something, and they're generally not very valuable.

Are people actually toppling statues? Paint a temple, get werebeasts/vampires!

Is the mayor going to start disappearing nucklavee people and selling them roasts and figurines made from their remains?

Though I wonder how exactly do two simultaneous caravans function.

Are your marriages polygamous that you get 24 migrants needing 8 less bedrooms for 4 marriages?

Oh hey, an update. *pokes update*

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2016, 08:52:17 am »

Oh hey, gem clusters! I prefer to leave them in, though. Unique-looking engraving surface (magneta ones in particular have unique engravable color in game, but not like you can control the location of veins), and gems are pretty useless anyway - can't even look at them once encrusted on top of something, and they're generally not very valuable.

Are people actually toppling statues? Paint a temple, get werebeasts/vampires!

You can't paint anything at the moment, is that some kind of saying.  I do not know why they toppled statues and then destroyed some of my doors, they were pissed off about something it seems but I do not know what they something was.  In any case the surviving two visitors are now locked away for the time being.

Is the mayor going to start disappearing nucklavee people and selling them roasts and figurines made from their remains?

Though I wonder how exactly do two simultaneous caravans function.

It is the kind of thing that our new mayor might do.....

You get a window that allows you to select which civilization you want to trade with. 

Are your marriages polygamous that you get 24 migrants needing 8 less bedrooms for 4 marriages?

Oh hey, an update. *pokes update*

There are 4 children and they can quite happily live with their parents.  4 children and 4 marriages means that we need 16 bedrooms, for a group of 24. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4