Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Last Dwarves  (Read 11797 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Dwarves
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2016, 09:10:53 am »

Fine, go to main menu, Select first world "Continue playing", select "The Last dwarves" with up and down arrows, open the fortress, use up, down, left, right, < and > to navigate to statues, press i for zone menu, navigate blinking...

Yes, of course it is some kind of saying. Painting is used not only to using paint with a brush on canvas, but also to refer broad scale area changes, such as "painting the landscape".

That said, you can check their ups and downs with DT if they're citizens or residents, I think.

Oh, cool.

The children, unless they're babies, are going to sleep on the floor I think :v

Or more likely, they'll claim four of the 16 bedrooms before hard-working dwarves, since they won't have any work to put off sleep for, giving them first pick.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2016, 11:17:57 am »

Fine, go to main menu, Select first world "Continue playing", select "The Last dwarves" with up and down arrows, open the fortress, use up, down, left, right, < and > to navigate to statues, press i for zone menu, navigate blinking...

Yes, of course it is some kind of saying. Painting is used not only to using paint with a brush on canvas, but also to refer broad scale area changes, such as "painting the landscape".

That said, you can check their ups and downs with DT if they're citizens or residents, I think.

They are merely visitors at the moment. 

The children, unless they're babies, are going to sleep on the floor I think :v

Or more likely, they'll claim four of the 16 bedrooms before hard-working dwarves, since they won't have any work to put off sleep for, giving them first pick.

Everybody sleeps in the same bed, husband, wife and all children/babies in the same family with no penalties :). I am a little worried about children claiming rooms, I have yet to see children claim rooms that I made for more immigrants, though I have seen children claim rooms when everybody is housed (the vacant room in the government complex got claimed).  I think that children can only claim rooms if all adults are housed but I might just have got lucky so far.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2016, 01:31:45 pm »

Disclaimer: The building destroying visitors is not the result of any deliberate game mechanic but is instead a vanilla bug triggered by having a visitor of a race that has either [BUILDINGDESTROYER] token.  I have been forced to remove said tokens from all civilized or potentially civilized creatures. 

27th Granite 202:Office (nearly) completed.

I am of course naturally pleased that we have nearly completed the office, there is still another chair and table need for Broker Icatar Boulderwhip but I have an office chair now which is what matters most. That means I can now get to work in my new position as bookkeeper, giving an exact number to how many grains of sand we now have and determining whether this is greater than or lesser than the number of fishes we have in stock. Since my job is so important however, the new office seems a little plain for it, how about some engravings or a statue perhaps?
Icatar Tosgul "Allyirons", 1st Bookkeeper

Caption: The office takes shape.

2nd Slate 202:We are out of common wood.

We are now out common wood; by which I mean everything other than silverwood and this interferes with the construction of more furniture for our new members. This should be rectified immediately, so clear a whole area of woodland in the valley west of our entrance, sparing only extremely juvenile trees, fruit trees and featherwood trees as is our policy. A policy that has in the past clearly not been consistently followed since I have just completed making a masterwork bed out of featherwood.
Rodes Samlandimanir "Partnergirders", 1st Manager.

8th Slate 202:1st Manager Rodes is under a fell mood.

Our most beloved organiser, 1st Manager Rodes, she who has inspired the creation of more engravings that I can count has been taken by a fey mood. This means that unfortunately I now have to take on the duties of management in addition to my mayoral duties and guard duties until she recovers. She has taken over a carpenter's workshop, hopefully all she needs for her artifact is wood since her last act was to cut down a whole area of trees and we now have plenty of it as a result.

9th Slate 202:More trouble.

On this, the day when the auride is due to be released I recieve reports that another visitor, a crested encar has arrived and is armed with a pike. I am told that the encar is a she, it can be difficult to tell the gender of scaly lizard people; I am also told that she has already toppled a statue of her own within a day of her arrival in Tinpointed. None of this used to happen when Rodes Partnergirders was in charge, this I have realised is key to understanding what is going on. Rodes Partnergirders used to mantain a squad called the Rough Senses under her personal command but this squad disbanded upon the end of her illicit reign. Being the lawless cretins that they are, outsiders will naturally commit pointless criminal acts and me merely being Captain of the Guard apparently does not deter them sufficiently. Rodes Partnergirders old squad was made up of only miners and woodcuters in addition to herself armed with a hammer but it kept the pesky outsiders doing nothing but making merry with us and spreading their bizarre foreign notions.  What I need is a fully squa of fortress guards of my own which I shall call the Factions of Labour since they shall be made up of miners and woodcutters, in addition to myself armed with whatever weapons I should choose and 1st Bookkeeper Icatar Allyirons because of her skill at wrestling.
Isdith Romecak "Paddledbraid", Mayor.

10th Slate 202:The encar is in custody.

The Factions of Labour have done well, faced with so many axes and picks the encar pikewoman Cece Henenranciar has wisely chosen to surrender to face justice without a fight. Since a second act of vandalism has come my attention, her sentance is now raised to 25 days in prison and a proper beating, it remains to be seen if encars are any tougher than humans. Other work still has to be done though for all the commotion, the rooms for the new arrivals are carved out and need furnishing. Somebody also has to release Que Nusnimamam from her cage, since her sentance is unfortunately now up
Isdith Romecak "Paddledbraid", Mayor.

Caption: The prison cell where the encars have both been imprisoned.

2nd Slate 202:I am back!

I am now back in charge of my office, having recovered from the unproductive productive thoughts that were afflicting me and having completed my great work, the Ivory Permanency.  It is essentially a willow splint, a willow splint encrusted with table cut emeralds, decorated with willow and alder detailing, with spikes of limestone padded out with giant hamster leather protruding from it; I also crafted an image of trillion cut gem, also of giant hamster leather on the item. Given that I have been incapacitated for over a week I find things in rather good order, the new rooms are finished as is the government complex with all it's smooth stone and engravings. With the miners now freed up we can begin to carve out a barracks area, which should be north-east of the woodcrafting area. We should also begin tetrahedrite mining immediately, but we should be careful not to breach the nearby cavern. We should also put the new anvil Broker Icatar bought to good use and set up a second metalsmith's forge and begin to smelt the tetrahedrite we have in stock as well.  Lastly we now have enough adamantine wafers to create some spears for our fortress guards, 10 in total.  It is not as though we ultimately intend to equip all our guards but we can sell those we do not intend to use ourselves to the Carmine Citadel when they return next spring. 
Rodes Samlandimanir "Partnergirders", 1st Manager.

Caption: Rodes Partnergirders's new artifact

Caption: The completed government complex
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:42:36 pm by GoblinCookie »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2016, 02:15:02 pm »

- With all the white sand around, perhaps seek to make beds out of black-cap instead? White, black and gray seem to mix well where they are used, such as with the silverwood? door.  (though ugh on the engraved area, that looks terrible)

Then other furniture can be made white with porcelain with the kaolinite you have. And for the kaolinite sections, I think smoothing will make the walls nice dark red to go well with normal or fungiwood beds.

- Heh, buildingdestroyer visitors. Maybe you can get a werebeast?

- That's rather drab prison. I usually go for all amenities + entertainment in mine.

Then again, it is not like visitors deserve better.

- An artifact splint? Hahaha, oh I forgot that could result from mood. Makes adamantine strands sewn into bodies look cheap.

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2016, 03:25:40 pm »

they use metal strands for medical work? that's so cool if they do

how do you get the fungi to grow?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2016, 03:46:47 pm »

Which fungi? The underground ones just need soil or wet ground and popping open a cavern or being planted via farm plot.

And yeah, they do :p Can be an annoyance if dwarf has several times more adamantine inside his arm than covering his arm, though :v (it offers no additional protection)

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2016, 04:06:03 pm »

Which fungi? The underground ones just need soil or wet ground and popping open a cavern or being planted via farm plot.

And yeah, they do :p Can be an annoyance if dwarf has several times more adamantine inside his arm than covering his arm, though :v (it offers no additional protection)
the kind you can cut to use for wood sorry for the confusion

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2016, 04:59:21 pm »

they need soil/wet ground and 1z empty space above to grow up in 3 years' time.

HoshiGiniro

• Bay Watcher
  • Gamer Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2016, 04:05:15 pm »

they need soil/wet ground and 1z empty space above to grow up in 3 years' time.
Thank you so much

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2016, 01:31:03 pm »

:'( :'( :( :( I am sorry to report that this story is going to be on hold until this bug that I have discovered in the game is fixed and then only if it restores normal function to characters whose AIs are destroyed by the bug. Basically I released the first imprisoned character to be released (the auride) into a pasture rather than building the cage with a lever like I should have and then I unfortunately saved the game, resulting in a character important to the plot staring into blank space forever. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]