Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions & Begginers Short Story  (Read 1075 times)

Vlad0153

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Questions & Begginers Short Story
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:16:45 am »

Hi guys,

I played DwarfFortress: Fort mode a lot, but not so much as some of you. Few days ago, I decided to try Advanture mode! So here is short story with few questions!

I decided to make a char, which is fragile, cowardly and hence stealthy. A guy which wants to be a hero in a cruel world. I started with char creation, where I managed to put stats, but then I could not find "knife user stat" for I wanted my char to use daggers, so then I decided to put my points into ambush, dodge etc. I started the game and my adventure! Once started, I decided to ditch the spear and use only my dagger which I was surprised to have! Noticing stray dogs in the ally close by, I decided to try my dagger skills on it - naturalen my char is not evil, but some eggs must be broken to make an omelette ... anways, I attacked first dog, and tried to cut his throat, by slashing his neck, I did not do much damage and he run off :(, so i creped behind another dog, and stabbed him into the neck! He collapsed and could not move! ahaa! I have found the great opneing move! then i proceeded to slash him into the pices in the name of science! SCIENCE! Not very pleased with a result, for alive and conscious dog is not same as crippled one, I decided to creep behind another dog and another and so on. I decided to look at myself again, and have seen that my knife user has risen dramaticly! I have sensed it, that I'm ready for the adventure!!!

I proceed to talk with people around, and they were talking about various dangers with which I could help. Most of them it seems to me, were too difficult for my lone and fragile char, except kidnaping case! Some guy, kidnapped some other guy...but I could not take the quest and I was puzzled...So I decided to search for a ruler, maybe he could give me a quest! So I decided to search for a ruler and I have spent quite a lot of time before finding him. He also told me of a kiddnaper who kidnapped his son! his daughter and cousin! So I have decided to search this monster - which was somewhere far far away to my surprise - I have expected he is somewhere near :/ So I decided to travel.

Before I could reach teh destination, the message on my screen told me, that I can't fast travel further. It seems I was in some kind burrows - canyons. They were quite peaceful and no one was there, but after quite some time I have noticed something! someone was moving and leaving footprints? in the snow! I decided to stalking it, which led me to the ELF. I decided to talk to him - greet him, which was not good idea, for he gripped my finger and kicked me into mouth. I thought he was just scared and attacked it because i was in stealth mode...So I proceed to talk some more, he did answer and proceeded to attack me some more! In my rage, I pulled out dagger and killed him. My char was thirsty, but I did not have water for I have drink them all. I tried to eat snow, which was all around me, but did not work. I have found the brook, but I could not drink from it... I've read somewhere that you can melt snow, so I tried to lit fire and with it heat snow *watersking heated, snowheated* but nothing worked. I left the elf unburied and travel some more, which led me to some kind of goblin cave, in which all of them were asleep. So I decided to stab one of them, although I did not kill them, they were still sleeping, which was weird. I tried to wake them up, by slicing and talking them, but in vain...they were tight sleepers. By this point, my char was very hungry and very thirsty, so I decided to butcher goblin and eat it, dire times need dire deeds...but again in vain, my char only licked the products of my butcher. To my suprise, I did not kill all the goblins! and I seen a lot of them running around, talking about some guy coming to kill them...and they were not talking about me...and to my suprise, they did not even attack me! And then I saw another band of goblins, attacking and butchering those I was it seems guest of...then somene attacked me, my char fell down and died.

Thank you all for reading it, I hope it was interesting :D Now questions:

1. Where is knife user stat? is my game corrupted :(
2. Why did Elf attack me, and why did he continue to talk to me while attacking?
3. Why mobs sleep so tight?
4. Why I could not melt snow?
5. Why I could not collect water from brooke?
6. Why I could not eat Goblin?
7. Why were they not attacking me?
8. Is there any good *vanilla* mod for Adventure?

Thanks and looking forward for the reply!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:20:48 am by Vlad0153 »

Xune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions & Begginers Short Story
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:54:51 am »

I'm new to this mode myself but I thinkI can help with these questions

4. You need to get a handful of snow, put it in your waterskin then heat the waterskin over a fire using the interact menu. The result should be water in the skin.
5. Bring up the eat menu when standing next to a body of water and you should have the option to drink from it, I know this works with rivers at least.
6. You can't eat/butcher sentient creatures.

Vlad0153

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 01:15:34 pm »

I'm new to this mode myself but I thinkI can help with these questions

4. You need to get a handful of snow, put it in your waterskin then heat the waterskin over a fire using the interact menu. The result should be water in the skin.
5. Bring up the eat menu when standing next to a body of water and you should have the option to drink from it, I know this works with rivers at least.
6. You can't eat/butcher sentient creatures.

Thanks for answers mate. Too bad I can't eat sentient creatures, I mean, look at people who are in dire times - very hungry, they even resort to cannibalism.  Anyone else for the other questions?

SwedishLemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:06:54 pm »

1. Human civilizations are randomized, and that includes what weapons they use. Even though all adventurers start with a copper dagger, the human civ probably doesn't use daggers for their soldiers so the skill didn't show up.
2. The elf was probably an enemy of your civ or a bandit. Elves are notorious warlords in Dwarf Fortress, killing and eating anyone they find wandering too close to their scouting areas.
3. Sentient creatures usually sleep until dawn and can't be woken up until then. I don't know why.

7. It sounds like you were in a Dark Pit. Goblins may be evil, but the civilian goblins in a Dark Pit usually want nothing to do with you, and you can actually recruit some of the non-hostile soldiers, too. They're a lot like human civilizations that always hate you.
8. DFWanderer is a good adventure mode mod that keeps the spirit of Dwarf Fortress, and the Dark Ages is a good mod to turn Adventure Mode into a generic fantasy game.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:10:14 pm »

To fill a water skin from an unfrozen brook use shift+I then choose to fill whatever you are using to hold water with water.

The elf was probably a bandit. In fact if you had searched around his camp was probably near by, you could then find the leader and join them if you wish. Or kill them (if you can handle it) and tell the people in the nearest village of your exploits, so you could get some companions and get a good reputation.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 04:10:17 am »

3. If you want to wake someone up and you are in a house, then you can attempt to sleep or wait. It will force one of them to wake up and ask "Is there something I can help you with?".

Then you can talk to them. This doesn't always work though so don't go to sleep next to bandits or something. Or do, I don't care.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Vlad0153

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:48:55 am »

Thank you guys for helping me out with questions. I started another game, in similar manner and I have another question. I tried to aim attack human, but there is no "neck" body part - which I have found very useful for stabbing in previous game, when I attacked cats and dogs. There is whole list of body parts, including eyelids, mouth and even teeth, but no neck :\

Thanks in advance.

Vlad0153

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 07:22:31 pm »

Never mind, it seems I installed by mistake one mod, who threw away neck part :|