Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible play styles.  (Read 1779 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Possible play styles.
« on: April 07, 2016, 10:20:52 pm »

So we all know the wiki is grossly outdated in terms of adventure mode. So how about a playstyles article listing decent builds for different playstyles, since the world is so much more reactive now , the possible play styles include:bards, animal hunters/ bonecarvers,beast hunters, (simple) night creature hunters hearthperson (and  a possible mini tut on how to start as  a peasant and become one) , bandit ,and of course the obligatory hero  and possibly several others I cannot think of right now due to my tiredness,
State the "level" in parentheses before your builds "name" (eg peasent, hero demigod)

I'll start
(Hero)Warrior Bard build:
Attributes:

high agility
above average willpower
above average strength
above average creativity
above average musicality

(agility is high so you can run/dodge well if you are attacked by criminals or the tavern you are staying in is assaulted by monsters in the middle of the night, (it happens more often then you think)

Skills:
novice swordsman (or whatever weapon you want)
Adequate Fighter
Adequate Observer
novice (or adequate swimmer, because you will be travelling the world from tavern to tavern)
Adequate Dodger
Novice Reader
Novice Writer
Novice poet
Adequate Musician (you can level that up easily through practice though)
Novice singer
Adequate Stringed Instrumentalist (or whatever instrument you want to specialize in)
Novice Wind Instrumentalist
Novice Percussionst

(You could also go for misc object user so you can fight with your instruments (replace the weapon skill))
Or you go for a more talky build (persuader and flatterer so you can argue but that would require sacrificing other points, like the your non-focused instrument skills) )

Personality:
Focus Primarily on creativity and excitement/flighty personality traits (such as brawling)

List your builds!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:04:31 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Possible play styles.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 06:59:27 pm »

So no takers?
I am an indie game dev!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 05:58:53 am »

So no takers?

You see the problem about those great creative ideas you, I and everyone else has is that you have to basically almost always do the job yourself. Its only when you have already done a whole lot of it and it has already turned out to be good, its then other people want to try to do it by themselves. Even then its mostly cos they think they can do better in some way. Its what I feel often happens anyway.

Im glad if Im proven wrong of course.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Xune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:03:21 am »

I think this is a great idea. As adventure mode stands, if you aren't applying your own narrative and limitations things quickly devolve into min-maxing and grinding. It's too easy to walk into the nearest mead hall and grab great gear from the start, ok if you're a hero hearthperson but not so much for a peasant.

I've only just started playing adventure mode (inspired by your reddit post, Untrustedlife) so I'm still struggling to keep a demigod alive for a significant time, but once I get settled in I'll be sure to share any interesting starting characters I come up with.

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 10:19:43 am »

The only build for me is the jack-of-all-trades god build, not just a mere demigod but a god/godess aka super(my custom creature) from point A with all skills and abilities at 5000 (50 I guess ingame but it doesn't show that).

I hate limitations so I play games as something who is somewhat unlimited, has been the case since the first RPG game that I've played. If I can't cheat I just don't play as I hate MMORPG like grinding and frustration, games are meant to be an escape, a way to relax and have fun and this is how I do it in RPG games as I role-play the character and not the leveling-up shite. No offense meant.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »

The only build for me is the jack-of-all-trades god build, not just a mere demigod but a god/godess aka super(my custom creature) from point A with all skills and abilities at 5000 (50 I guess ingame but it doesn't show that).

I hate limitations so I play games as something who is somewhat unlimited, has been the case since the first RPG game that I've played. If I can't cheat I just don't play as I hate MMORPG like grinding and frustration, games are meant to be an escape, a way to relax and have fun and this is how I do it in RPG games as I role-play the character and not the leveling-up shite. No offense meant.

What's the point of playing RPG games then? If you don't like working to develop and build up your character why don't you play games that have even playing fields that are based purely on skill (CS, LoL, DotA 2, Wargame, etc)?
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 12:41:21 pm »

What's the point of playing RPG games then? If you don't like working to develop and build up your character why don't you play games that have even playing fields that are based purely on skill (CS, LoL, DotA 2, Wargame, etc)?

The games you mentioned, I dislike all of them and I am not competitive (I hate competition and competitions). RPGs have story and interaction, dialog and choices but the thing is I always have liked being a superbeing from point A in those games. That's just the way it is with me and the way it'll always be, kinda wish that wasn't the case but I suggest (if you feel like it of course, I don't care) you read up 'autism', 'asbergers' and 'intermittent explosive disorder' to get the gist of what problems I'm suffering from since childhood.

I like RPGs but I just can't play them normally, believe me I've tried since Neverwinter Nights. I end up worse than I was before playing the game normally.
That's why I cheat and play how I BLOODY WANT! >:(

EDIT: I avoid MMO and other multiplayer games like a plague so I stick with singleplayer games where I can play how I want. I like RPG but I don't like leveling and grinding.
Seriously, everytime I tell someone how I play games someone like you comes and lays their bullshit on me of how it's wrong and blah blah blah. Argh! *frustrated facepalm*
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 02:22:51 pm by Droggarth »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 02:32:54 pm »

He wasn't preaching to you, he was just thinking it would make the game quite a bit boring and pointless. For some people rpgs are about story, for others its about nurturing a character, for yet others it's the fun of minmaxing.

That means that you are free to enjoy only the story parts, but that doesn't mean others cannot ask you why you don't enjoy the other bits. No need to get so defensive, especially if you feel you have reasonable reasons for creating characters like these.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 02:47:51 pm »

He wasn't preaching to you, he was just thinking it would make the game quite a bit boring and pointless. For some people rpgs are about story, for others its about nurturing a character, for yet others it's the fun of minmaxing.

That means that you are free to enjoy only the story parts, but that doesn't mean others cannot ask you why you don't enjoy the other bits. No need to get so defensive, especially if you feel you have reasonable reasons for creating characters like these.

Aye, true. Back when I played Arx Fatalis for example I cheated to get all stats at the max and had fun experiencing the story and killing my foes without worry of death, I liked being the only good character in evil Ylside armor and using an unbreakable greatsword.

And sorry, quite a lot of RL mental turmoil on my plate right now. I do apologize for my overly defensive reaction.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 04:58:20 am »

stronkest df2014 build (demigod): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143889.msg5694110#msg5694110

Of course now that social skills are getting more value, it's a bit outdated.
You can still roll a "DBZ Abridged Goku"-like if you wish, though.

oh and yes, this is completely breaking the game
byte me

oh_no

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 03:53:45 pm »

You know the only reason that worked?

Dump stats. Dump states galore.

Now none of those "very low" are dump stats. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM MATTERS... if you like to talk or sing or carve

So you can still do this - but beware! You are walling yourself into a "dumb slasher" character.

Also, (ab)using dump stats is easy. No careful manipulation of all the variables. Even a dumb slasher could balance those stats in that way. :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 04:51:06 pm »

You know the only reason that worked?

Dump stats. Dump states galore.

Now none of those "very low" are dump stats. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM MATTERS... if you like to talk or sing or carve

So you can still do this - but beware! You are walling yourself into a "dumb slasher" character.

Also, (ab)using dump stats is easy. No careful manipulation of all the variables. Even a dumb slasher could balance those stats in that way. :P
talk sing, carve,play instruments, write poems, write songs, write dances,dance...(goes on and on)   But this is exactly what I want, that character is obviously a barbarian.
I am an indie game dev!

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 03:31:57 am »

just to mess around, i do human outsider peasant, above average strength agility toughness

2 points in fighting, dodging, and striking, and just punch and punch and punch until i die

one guy actually got pretty far, he killed 2 giant alligatorsby punching them to death until he was killed by the 3rd (of course this was after going village to village brawling with nearly everyone he came across)
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson