Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: Dark Souls 3: Sunbros unite  (Read 59991 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 3: Sunbros unite
« Reply #315 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:31 pm »

Everyone's an idiot when playing games, because you can't have your eyes on the whole screen at once. Yes, you. You do this. So do streamers, it's just more obvious because you're looking over their shoulder and can focus on things they're missing because they're thinking about the game. Deal with it.

That happens, and it's fine. It's when they do something like pick up an item, slowly scroll over it five times, hover it for ten seconds, then rapidly flip through the item tabs shouting
“WhErE iS iT?”

It's when they slowly walk past an obvious path, turn to look at it, then run in a circle (passing the path another six or seven times) loudly complaining about the game being obtuse and how they have no idea where they're supposed to go.

Oh, and for the love of god, it's when they have absolutely zero grasp of spatial awareness and get confused, thinking that they've entered a new area because they turned around for five seconds to look at something and don't recognize where they are any more. Or when they look at an area that has obvious connections between different points, act absolutely befuddled, and then exclaim in amazement when the route which clearly leads to a visible point turns out to in fact lead to that point.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 13, 2017, 07:59:55 pm »

Everyone's an idiot when playing games, because you can't have your eyes on the whole screen at once. Yes, you. You do this. So do streamers, it's just more obvious because you're looking over their shoulder and can focus on things they're missing because they're thinking about the game. Deal with it.
i'll deal with it when i die
Black lives matter.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2017, 08:00:20 pm »

Those people have probably played too many games with objective waypoints, yes.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 16, 2017, 06:11:44 pm »

On the ds1 topic, I recently went back into the meta level pvp after a bit of sl50 invasions and messing around with a weapon randomizer. It felt great, unlike pretty much all meta level pvp I've ever done... good connections, good humoured people mostly, and even a number of wins. I feel like it clicked a bit for me, especially as I started to work out my own style. Not that I was much good, just that I could say what happened in matches. Even the gankers and dps freaks weren't too annoying.

Especially enjoyed using fire surge to rack up a hit's worth of damage for free on someone. Feels reasonably viable and something of my own (I've never seen people use it), a very nice combination. Very fun way to finish someone, if they have little health.

Great session all in all... going to try dual wielding black knight greataxes next.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 16, 2017, 06:16:43 pm »

Yeah, the PVP can be fun just for the sheer number of different things in the game. It's pretty easy to find a loadout that's surprising, if not strictly effective. ;P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 23, 2022, 03:13:18 am »

Bump for great justice.

This is a PSA for anyone playing Dark Souls 3 on PC.

Researchers have discovered a vulnerability in Dark Soul's network code that can allow someone to remotely execute code on your PC.

I.e., you get invaded and the invader can run a hack which gives them full access to your PC to control it, install software and the like.

The only 100% known defense to this right now is to play in offline mode. There are claims that the Blue Sentinel mod, already used for identifying and protecting you from cheaters, might protect against this vulnerability but there are conflicting reports on that front.

Pretty damn embarrassing and shitty vulnerability to have discovered the month before the biggest, most hyped game you've ever made releases....which is built on the same code as DS3. It's already been confirmed this vulnerability exists in Elden Ring as well, and From/Bandai have already said it will be fixed by release. But what will they do for DS3? Do the usual From Soft thing and just let the game literally get your computer infected, and maybe let someone else fix it in a remaster? I hope not. That is a shitty way to treat your legacy and a shitty way to treat devoted fans of the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 23, 2022, 09:09:00 am »

Shit. I had no shortage of bad encounters with hackers and specialized-for-murdering-newbies low-level invaders when I tried doing DS3 co-op with my brother. People are malicious like that. Somehow arbitrary code execution doesn't seem too far from that.

Thanks for the heads-up. DS2 and PTDE aren't affected, are they?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 23, 2022, 03:40:58 pm »

I haven't done further reading on that front. Some people are saying it affects all From Soft games with MP. But I haven't seen anyone confirm that yet.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 23, 2022, 04:16:53 pm »

It looks like the community has managed to get From to notice this particular issue and it is being addressed. Or at least, very probably, it's being addressed. We can't be 100% sure.

Here's a link to a brief video discussing what's gone down.

Basically, the servers are getting taken down to look into and resolve the problem. Players of the Souls series on PC have been pretty fortunate that this particular flaw was discovered by a decent guy who did everything he could to raise awareness about the issue and protect the people in the community. It could have very easily done a lot of damage in the hands of someone with fewer scruples.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:34:01 pm by Nighthawk »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 23, 2022, 07:06:28 pm »

Shutting down the servers is a great sign, it means they're taking it seriously.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 07:37:46 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 24, 2022, 12:22:18 pm »

They took it all down, except Bloodbourne and Demon Souls Remaster.

DS: PtDE, DS Remaster, D2 and DS3.

I suppose BB was omitted because it only runs on the Playstation network. Sekiro though....I know it has a networking component of some sort that people have modded to allow full multiplayer and invasions. But I guess since that's not supported in the vanilla code of the game, that's probably up to "Modders Beware" more than anything.

Also curious if this affects Demon Souls Remaster, or if they went with a different network server/client backend there too.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 12:29:31 pm by nenjin »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 25, 2022, 07:06:37 am »

Huh, servers for DS3 (and only that) are back online. I thought they were closed for good. Wonder how online will be after such a break.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]