Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Post-Riot Weirdness  (Read 2212 times)

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Post-Riot Weirdness
« on: April 08, 2016, 09:30:30 pm »

So, my second of two forts dissolved into a completely senseless bloodletting. As in, I still have no idea why most of the fort suddenly took an impulse to kill each other.

Still, a good chunk of the fort survived, 49 or so out of 140 or so, and things are stabilized. The corpses are all sitting peacefully in the pasture, waiting for burial. The remaining dwarves seem to be sane, for the most part, but one thing.

They've all become packrats. I have designated the graves for all of the dead. I have designated coffins and slabs to be made of stone. I have reassigned the survivors to make sure that someone should, in theory, attend to these tasks.

But it looks like all of the survivors are tied down in an interminable morass of "Pickup Equipment" and "Store Item in Stockpile."

I would have thought that digging and coffin manufacture would be more pressing concerns than stealing clothing off of the deceased, but apparently I was mistaken.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post-Riot Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:36:49 pm »

And just after I compose the OP, they finally get around to digging, engraving, and making coffins... ::)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:45:02 pm »

I would have thought that digging and coffin manufacture would be more pressing concerns than stealing clothing off of the deceased, but apparently I was mistaken.
One word: socks.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 03:36:44 am »

and shoes and pants and tunics and robes and capes and caps and . . .

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 05:17:54 am »

You've obviously never slaughtered a goblin invasion, claimed the dropped stuff, and then seen half the fortress population rushing out to claim new loincloths (in 0.40.X I had cases where they repeatedly went for these desirable items, only to get horrified by all the corpses they had to pass, but they wouldn't give up trying).
And it was your fault in the first place, for not ensuring your fortress didn't already provide the dorfs with top quality gear so they wouldn't have to replace their sub standard stuff.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 06:23:35 am »

They did it

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 09:33:06 am »

Loyalty cascade?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 07:25:27 pm »

and shoes and pants and tunics and robes and capes and caps and . . .

This is why I remove all clothing except shirts, trousers, boots, cloaks and hoods. Shirts become upper garments, trousers become lower garments, boots become footwear, and hoods become headwear. I increase the material size requirements for everything and let my imagination do the rest of the work.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 09:01:01 am »

Loyalty cascade?
That's what it looks like. I started another thread on the massacre itself.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 06:05:15 pm »

You've obviously never slaughtered a goblin invasion, claimed the dropped stuff, and then seen half the fortress population rushing out to claim new loincloths (in 0.40.X I had cases where they repeatedly went for these desirable items, only to get horrified by all the corpses they had to pass, but they wouldn't give up trying).
And it was your fault in the first place, for not ensuring your fortress didn't already provide the dorfs with top quality gear so they wouldn't have to replace their sub standard stuff.

Shoot... if the only time I ever got new underwear was after a siege, you can bet I'd be the first dwarf out there looking for potential new undies!  8)
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 09:02:29 pm »

Shoot... if the only time I ever got new underwear was after a siege, you can bet I'd be the first dwarf out there looking for potential new undies!  8)

Turns out that the goblin lasher's dwarf hair thong you're now celebrating with was actually soiled a few instants before the +glumprong wood ballista bolt+ got him in the neck. Oh well.

completely senseless bloodletting

Seems this is happening quite often in 0.40. The wiki hinted at a 'new stress system' coming up but it seems like all of your stressed dwarves snap all at once. Sad, but not unexpected. hee hee hee hee
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 11:15:48 pm »

I always thought it was odd that dwarves can't actually make underwear.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.