Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random rage  (Read 2880 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Random rage
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:38:50 pm »

Here's a new one on me: One of my brewers just became enraged at all enemies. Looking at thoughts and preferences say she's lost in a rage. She's fairly new here, having arrived only days ago, and she's currently in the process of making lye. Nothing bad has happened to her recently except being annoyed at being caught in the rain. There's really no explanation for why she flew into a rage at all. She hasn't hauled off and hit anybody yet, at least.

Any ideas what the heck could have happened here?

Oh, and right after she was no longer enraged, I saw "She didn't feel anything after seeing an emu die," which I take to mean she saw a piece of a butchered emu (from my hunters, who would have killed it quite some time ago). But if she didn't feel anything about that, why the rage?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:48:11 pm by Lummox JR »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random rage
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:19:21 pm »

I had something similar happen to me yesterday. Some random peasant became enraged and canceled his hauling job...before immediately continuing with the job albeit still "enraged". I think it too was caused by being caught in some rain.

I'm assuming they cooled down eventually, but either way he never went out and socked a nearby dwarf or anything.

Typically, I've only seen creatures rage during combat. But since raging is based on a creature's anger propensity personality trait, I guess some dwarves just get angry a lot easier than others.

The wiki indicates that being enraged does affect how a creature acts during combat, but it doesn't seem to affect anything besides that (unlike being berserk, where the dwarf will just lash out at anything nearby).
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:57:44 am »

I often check the reports screen for any combat while early on in my fortresses.

Numerous times I've found a log of a random Dwarf fighting and the only thing in the log is "Urist McTemper has become enraged" or whatever.

There had been no actual combat so far in that fort, and everything else seemed fine. I wouldn't have known anything had I not checked the log.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 07:08:41 am »

I've also seen this in several forts, though it seems to happen less frequently in my more recent ones. Perhaps a sign of growing stress?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 10:32:17 am »

I've got a goblin poet enrage recently. He was not a long-term visitors, just one random quest of the tavern. Nothing happened after that. I can only speculate he heard a bad joke about a goblin...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:10:44 am »

The enraged dwarves all got in an argument, so I'm guessing that's the cause. No actual fighting will result.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 03:47:03 pm »

The enraged dwarves all got in an argument, so I'm guessing that's the cause. No actual fighting will result.

But she didn't. Her thoughts say nothing about getting into an argument, but any other dwarf who's had an argument has had an unhappy thought about it (red or brown). This one had nothing happen to enrage her; she just popped into a rage, which generated a combat report, and soon popped out of it again.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 03:54:18 pm »

Toady must have stealthily introduced mental health disorders. Sounds like a mixture of bipolar and potentially schizophrenia.  Or maybe she is on the autism spectrum and got upset because you didn't have the right plants for her to brew? Will alchemy be introduced as a means of creating Xanax and Wellbutrin for dwarves soon?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:36:05 pm »

Maybe if a dorf doesn't reply to an insult (like, "I do love a good romance"), and just gets enraged, it doesn't count as an argument?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 06:09:49 pm »

I have found that this can be caused by an argument with another dwarf. In a few cases the enraged dwarf generated a positive thought from having the opportunity to argue with someone.

In one notable case, my scholar argued with the militia commander and his foot is still broken to this day, 7 years later.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:46:41 am »

The case of enraged goblin poet continued, but few days later. It ended with two human women, a swordswoman and a poet, ganging up on him, and smashing his hand (so he can't write any more, or whatever he was doing with that hand). From their thoughts it's clear they had an argument. My tavern is 100% dry one, non-residents don't drink. So it must be just regular issues among non compatible personalities. Or overcrowding.