Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What mods would you want to see made?  (Read 9090 times)

throwsFireball

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What mods would you want to see made?
« on: April 14, 2016, 01:59:51 am »

Just curious what people would like to see.

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What mods would you want to see made?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 04:11:21 am »

I would like to see a mod where you don't just control one species, such as dwarves, but rather a "medieval fantasy town" with dwarves, humans, elves, gnomes etc all living together. Preferably in a way that different species can get married, but can only have children with people of their own race.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 09:28:26 am »

I would like to see a mod where you don't just control one species, such as dwarves, but rather a "medieval fantasy town" with dwarves, humans, elves, gnomes etc all living together. Preferably in a way that different species can get married, but can only have children with people of their own race.

I'm sorry to say that that isn't possible with the way DF is set up. You can make a Civ with castes for the different races (like human elf and dwarf), but anyone can marry and have children with anyone else. Furthermore, their child will be randomly determined and not based on the parents. So two dwarves could have an elf baby. At this point in time, there is nothing modders can do to change that because its hardcoded into the game.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 03:03:11 pm »

That's actually possible, but might be boring. You'd start as one of the civs and recruit performers from the other races, before letting them settle down and start families with each other. You'd probably want all races to be performers and scholars, and at the same time have them be babysnatchers so they already practice intermingling in world-gen. The problem is that this would take decades in-game to pay off and require tons of micro to set up families.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 04:07:20 pm »

That's actually possible, but might be boring. You'd start as one of the civs and recruit performers from the other races, before letting them settle down and start families with each other. You'd probably want all races to be performers and scholars, and at the same time have them be babysnatchers so they already practice intermingling in world-gen. The problem is that this would take decades in-game to pay off and require tons of micro to set up families.
This is basically how taverns work now anyways. Humans and elves will come over and eventually ask to stay a while and eventually become a permanent resident, and then they can 'breed' with other residents (of the same race ofc), but the criteria is a pain because they have to be within like 10 years of age I believe, so, it takes an incredibly long amount of time to get a breeding pair of humans. I do wonder if having a bunch of different inn/taverns will attract more visitors, or if it just spreads out the ones that decide to come on their own out. Maybe some !!SCIENCE!! anyone?
'ere the Chias get hungry...

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 05:29:54 pm »

My unscientific observation has been that if you make your tavern early on, you'll get more traffic than if you wait a few years.  I also heard that worlds with longer histories will increase the chance of races spreading to other civilizations.  I had a Furry Fortress world where one baby snatcher civ had conquered all its neighbors, so 5 of the races in adventure mode started from the same civ.  Visiting in Adventure mode, their city was bustling with minorities, but in Fortress Mode, you would have to wait for them to arrive as visitors. 

You don't necessarily need visitors to make babies.  Once they have visited for a year or two, they can become citizens and will do jobs around the fortress like anybody else. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 12:58:03 pm »

How about a Shining Force mod?
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 11:16:25 am »

I'd love to see someone pick up where Rhenaya left off with her Drow Fortress mod. Her absence is a great loss to this community.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 11:40:55 am »

I'd love to see someone pick up where Rhenaya left off with her Drow Fortress mod. Her absence is a great loss to this community.
Seconded, that mod was awesome!
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:50 pm »

Seconded, that mod was awesome!
If someone was willing to do the modding side of things, I would be more than happy to pick up the art side. I started on a drow tile set a long time ago, but I'm terrible at pixel art and there wasn't a reason to finish it if it wasn't going to see use.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 04:11:45 pm »

I am a decent modder and a novice pixel artist, but I've never played the stow fortress mod. I could throw in some help if people wanted to make a general DnD mod or something.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 06:20:45 pm »

I am a decent modder and a novice pixel artist, but I've never played the stow fortress mod. I could throw in some help if people wanted to make a general DnD mod or something.
GoblinCookiee is actually making a pretty neat Forgotten Realms mod, but he is holding off on the races I am most interested in because they cannot be fully represented in DF, namely elves and drow.

I am not necessarily looking for FR or DnD specific drow. I just want any kind of drow back in a playable state.

Kazymir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 09:52:40 am »

I really want to see modding explore the possibilities of fruiting trees. Specifically, I want acacias to "fruit" horrifying swarms of furious poisonous ants, like they do in real life.
We must not look at Goblin Men
We must not buy their fruits
Who knows upon what soil they've fed
Their hungry, thirsty roots?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 10:03:24 am »

I really want to see modding explore the possibilities of fruiting trees. Specifically, I want acacias to "fruit" horrifying swarms of furious poisonous ants, like they do in real life.

Sorry that's beyond the realm of possibility for the current state of DF. There really isn't a way to switch back and forth between plant and animal. So attacking fruit is not possible at this time.

Poko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 01:09:21 pm »

I would love to see something that expanded trade and added taxes / tribute. 

For example, if my embark site lacks iron, I'd like to be able to set up a standing trade of 100, 200, or N bars of iron a year in exchange for, ideally, something specific, like 100 masterpiece beds or 50 barrels of wine.  Not just for 10,000 worth of garbage crafts. 

Also, we're part of a dwarf kingdom, we should have to pay regular taxes or tribute to the the king.  In general, this could be some value of goods yearly, but there could also be special / !fun! requests that would require completely specializing the fortress to make. 
The dwarven king is holding a celebration!  He has mandated that you provide 500 instruments to provide music for the party or he will lay siege to your city in retribution

It probably wouldn't be part of the main trade interface, but are events like that possible to mod in?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6