Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What mods would you want to see made?  (Read 9104 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What mods would you want to see made?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 02:05:00 pm »

There used to be a dwarven economy which had taxes and several other cool things, but Toady turned it off many updates ago. As far as modding things like taxes to the mountainhome and events, nope, those are all hardcoded (which means modders don't have access to them).

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 01:25:42 pm »

someone do a bogeyman mod where you can attempt to summon and bind creatures spawn from the cackling or learn new spells at risk of death...
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 07:41:24 pm »

I would like to see a mod that switches embark/caravan entry to one of the world-gen tunnels.  Never have to see the sun, though you are immediately exposed to the caverns.

Ideally, you could be embarked under an active site and have it continue on its way, though that part is beyond DF's current capabilities even with DFHack.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 08:14:24 pm »

I would like to see a mod that switches embark/caravan entry to one of the world-gen tunnels.  Never have to see the sun, though you are immediately exposed to the caverns.
Maybe with DFHack, though I doubt there is any script that allows for this.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 08:34:19 pm »

Maybe with DFHack, though I doubt there is any script that allows for this.
Eh, it's "mods I'd like to see made" not "mods I know how to make" :)

Though I agree, it's probably possible with enough DFHackery.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 04:37:41 am »

I'd love to see a Fallen London/Echo Bazaar themed mod. We could have fallen cities (Jerusalem?, Alexandria?, Cuzco?, Karakorum and London) as playable civs, and devils, rubbery men and rattus faber as non playable civs.
I guess this can't be done well untill we get caverns embark and sailing though,

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 11:49:03 am »

I would like to see a dark souls themed mod, or a game of thrones one could be good.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 10:17:04 pm »

Star Trek mod could be cool.  Klingons, Vulcans, Ferengi, Andorian, Hirogen, Dominion, Borg, etc.  Still in a medieval setting, but with as much of the alien personalities and physiologies as DF can muster. 

EDIT: However, it could be fun to use Trekkie materials like duranium and tritanium, and there's probably little practical difference replacing bows and crossbows with phasers and disrupters. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:28:24 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 04:50:29 pm »

I'd like to see a Star Trek mod too. Annoyingly, trying to mod in guns gives the wielder a massive speed penalty and you have to use ammo from a quiver.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:50:23 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 08:10:06 pm »

I'd like to see a star trek mod too. Annoyingly, trying to mod in guns gives the wielder a massive speed penalty and you have to use ammo from a quiver.
Just call the quiver object a "subspace field." Subspace fields can do anything in Star Trek, so it will blend right in.
Just got back, updating:

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 11:35:01 pm »

Ya know, a space mod would be cool. It doesn't have to be Star Trek themed. Space dwarves colonizing an alien world and whatnot.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 12:01:36 pm »

The problem with making a generic space mod is that it's not something people will recognize.  You can replace elves and goblins with googoochus and slarphnaxi but then the player is constantly asking themself which is which.  From a literary perspective, it's probably better to have something like space goblins and space elves, or make aliens based on earthling concepts, like rabbitoids, squidoids, rockoids or vikingoids.  But for DF to feel spacey, you need to do that for an entire planet's ecosystem, so you have the same problem coming up with crops and animals.  But to be fair, DF has its share of alien crops and animals, things like plump helmets, sun berries, crundles and manera. 

One of the more interesting things you could do is try to build planets based on alien geology.  There are a lot of real life planets and theories to go on. 

Titanoid - Saturn's moon Titan is famous for being the only other body in the solar system with liquid on its surface, however the lakes and rivers of Titan are made of hydrocarbons instead of water. 

Subsurface Ocean - The moons Europa and Enceladus are covered in ice, but may have liquid water between the icy crust and the rock below, heated by friction between the layers and volcanic vents. 

Ice Ball - A planet that is predominantly solid water throughout, with no rock/metal even in its core.  Several moons and Kuiper belt objects in the solar system represent such a construction.  In the solar system, ice balls are so far from the sun that water is naturally in a solid state, and liquid water or steam would be as rare as magma is on Earth.  Different types of ices may exist, for example, Pluto has water-ice mountains which may have been carved by methane-ice glaciers.  Some of these bodies have cryovolcanoes, which spew liquid water instead of magma.  Some cryovolcanoes may be caused by chemical reactions instead of heat. 

Cannon Ball/Chthonian - Planets made predominantly of iron, as opposed to Earth which is mostly silicate.  Mercury supposedly has a very high iron content, but the surface is still rocky.  Some of these planets might also be Chthonian planets, gas giants that have been stripped of their atmosphere, or even rocky planets that have lost their crust due to impacts or unknown causes. 

Carbon Planet - Carbon planets are defined as planets where there are more carbon molecules than oxygen molecules.  No such bodies have been conclusively identified, but they are predicted to form around carbon stars.  There are carbonaceous asteroids in the solar system, which might be similar.  Chemistry would be completely alien on such planets. 

Torch Planet - Many planets exist very close to their stars.  This can get hot both because of the star's radiation and because of tidal heating from the star's gravity.  Some gas giants have observed with clouds of silicate, meaning it's so hot that rock has not just melted, it has evaporated.  One might imagine an equilibrium temperature where rock exists as solid, liquid and gas, as water does here on earth.  Unlike water, "magma" can be one of several types of rock, each with its own slightly different melting points and chemistry. 

It's worth pointing out that Earth's atmosphere and some of its geology are influenced by the biosphere.  Earth probably used to have a CO2 atmosphere like Venus and Mars and an abundance of anaerobic microbes, but the appearance of CO2-in-O2-out breathers removed CO2 from the atmosphere and created air that was poisonous to most other lifeforms at the time.  For a while, this drained all the carbon out of the atmosphere and created a massive ice age, until O2 breathers developed and balanced out the atmosphere into one more or less like the atmosphere today.  So some of the chemistry we see on lifeless planets and the chemistry we take for granted on Earth could be completely different on planets with alien biospheres. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 12:14:28 pm »

@Roboson and @AceSV, that appeared to be the intent behind First Landing, which does explicitly say it is not intended for beginners.
Just got back, updating:

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 02:58:44 pm »

Subsurface Ocean - The moons Europa and Enceladus are covered in ice, but may have liquid water between the icy crust and the rock below, heated by friction between the layers and volcanic vents.
I am thinking about making a sci-fi mod (though not that true to science, but more or less on the borderlands level of "it's in space, it's in the future, it has advanced tech") while also messing with worldgen so the surface is completely arid, but there are underground oceans.

Ice Ball - A planet that is predominantly solid water throughout, with no rock/metal even in its core.  Several moons and Kuiper belt objects in the solar system represent such a construction.  In the solar system, ice balls are so far from the sun that water is naturally in a solid state, and liquid water or steam would be as rare as magma is on Earth.  Different types of ices may exist, for example, Pluto has water-ice mountains which may have been carved by methane-ice glaciers.  Some of these bodies have cryovolcanoes, which spew liquid water instead of magma.  Some cryovolcanoes may be caused by chemical reactions instead of heat.
This is pretty cool too, but cryovolcanoes are impossible in DF (as is modding liquids in general, which is sad).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
  • If someone says they are sane, then they're crazy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 02:39:35 pm »

More invasions/sieges, attacks by outlaws, random creature attacks. If I ever finish my crossbow mod, its pointless without reason to use it.
More siege engines. Breakable walls with enemy miners/siege engines. I will not be happy until my kobolds are under 24/7 siege, repelling attackers with polybolos and 1200lb siege crossbows ;)

Also Moranth munitions
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6