Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: What mods would you want to see made?  (Read 9101 times)

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What mods would you want to see made?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 01:43:44 pm »

I would love to see this conceptual mode idea made:
There is a rpg book called gurps, that is ultra detailed and etc...
This rpg have a book called gurp space, that has detailed rules for making random aliens/species....
I would love to see a mod where they remove all the default species and then the guy generate random gurps alien species until he have X species (or some other rules he want to use to decide when he wont create more species to add to dwarf fortress), and then create the dwarf fortress version of those generated species and add then to the game.

Another mod I would love to see is a adventure time mod or similar stuff..
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:46:24 pm by exdeath »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2016, 10:26:13 pm »

I was just thinking, what if you had a civilization with a very long life span (such as 1000 years), but no way to reproduce.  You'd probably make them super strong or give them access to some kind of interesting technology that the rest of the world doesn't have.  So they naturally rule the world for their natural lifespans and then slowly all die off and get replaced with dwarves and humans and so forth.  It would probably be too long to make any difference while playing them, but entertaining to read in the legends.  And adventures could loot their ruins or maybe you could reclaim their sites in Fortress Mode, like the classic ancient super technology trope. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2016, 10:37:21 pm »

I was just thinking, what if you had a civilization with a very long life span (such as 1000 years), but no way to reproduce.  You'd probably make them super strong or give them access to some kind of interesting technology that the rest of the world doesn't have.  So they naturally rule the world for their natural lifespans and then slowly all die off and get replaced with dwarves and humans and so forth.  It would probably be too long to make any difference while playing them, but entertaining to read in the legends.  And adventures could loot their ruins or maybe you could reclaim their sites in Fortress Mode, like the classic ancient super technology trope.
Isn't this the Age of Myth? :)

The tricky part of modding in proper mythical Titans is that the game seeds sites with breeding pairs, and they will breed in worldgen.  Though with the recent addition of geldables, there might be a way to sterilize the males after they are placed.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 10:59:32 pm »

Isn't this the Age of Myth? :)

The tricky part of modding in proper mythical Titans is that the game seeds sites with breeding pairs, and they will breed in worldgen.  Though with the recent addition of geldables, there might be a way to sterilize the males after they are placed.

Couldn't you just make it a race without any gender castes, or all only one gender? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2016, 11:18:18 pm »

Couldn't you just make it a race without any gender castes, or all only one gender?
Not if they are to be civilized creatures.  Failure to create breeding pairs causes the civ to be skipped.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 12:41:31 am »

Ah, bummer. 

Can you modify the gestation period?  I thought that was a thing, but I don't see a tag for it.  If so, you could make the gestation period as long as the lifespan. 

Or make it so that the castes are unbalanced, like 1 in 500 of them are male, and males only have a 3 year lifespan.  (pretty sure maxage is caste level?)  I assume it would still skip them if the male dies before the female reaches adulthood thus preventing valid marriages?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 01:56:34 am »

Hmmm, what if you make a male a female caste with a population ratio of 1 and a very short lifespan, and sterile castes with a population ratio of 10000 and a 1000 year lifespan?

Theoretically the game should breeding pairs of males and females, which then produce almost only sterile offspring.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2016, 08:24:51 am »

May as well try playing with ORIENTATION tag. In theory, it should affect worldgen.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2016, 03:32:05 pm »

Can you modify the gestation period?  I thought that was a thing, but I don't see a tag for it.  If so, you could make the gestation period as long as the lifespan.
No.

May as well try playing with ORIENTATION tag. In theory, it should affect worldgen.
I imagine making everyone asexual might work. Or it may be ignored outside of fort mode.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2016, 03:49:22 pm »

Wiki states orientation does affect worldgen, and a quicktest of mine seemingly confirms it (I've made immortal asexual creatures of both genders getting mature in 5 years, yet everyone has a minus in their birth date after 125 years of history).
There is still a possibility that it only affects historical figures though.

UPD:
Uuuh...
Made them mortal with [MAXAGE:30:60], and now they do procreate regardless of their asexuality. I dunno what conclusion should I make here.

UPD2:
Gave them [MAXAGE:1000:1200]. They respect their asexuality again. Duh.

UPD3:
All of those who were born during world gen seem to be "of unknown parentage". I presume they're simply generated when an empty position needs to be filled.

It should be noted that vanilla races are left unchanged, so I have elves and goblins as a reference. Orientation definitely affects worldgen, but it seems a bit more complicated.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:30:17 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 02:50:43 am »

I'd love to see a Fallen London/Echo Bazaar themed mod. We could have fallen cities (Jerusalem?, Alexandria?, Cuzco?, Karakorum and London) as playable civs, and devils, rubbery men and rattus faber as non playable civs.
I guess this can't be done well untill we get caverns embark and sailing though,
Fallen London is actually what inspired my The Fall mod which is currently in the works. Some castes of Crooked Men are like rubbery men. Bats and cats for pets. However lately it starts to receive more diablo-esque elements like chtonic creatures underground etc. However Fallen London did have Brass embassy, demons and the like, so it may not be too far off.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2016, 03:10:25 am »

Taxonomically accurate mundane creatures would be nice, but it would probably bog down the game with accurate reproduction numbers, increased species variety, and lifespans.

Of course, some parts aren't quite possible: accurate gestation periods, the regeneration of creatures like the axolotl and the blackworm (the axolotl can regrow limbs. The blackworm, when severed, actually regrows into multiple worms).

But some would be interesting (such as the ice worm, which melts at 40'F, and lives in glacial ice).

Side-note: Yes, I've been researching worms. I noticed that was one raw file (creature_annelid) that felt very lacking, and I've been looking to flesh it out.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2016, 06:33:48 am »

(the axolotl can regrow limbs. The blackworm, when severed, actually regrows into multiple worms)
That should be possible with transformation and with modified reanimation interactions.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2016, 05:25:54 pm »

I think someone once showed that the axolotl regen could be possible by using transformation to regenerate all limbs.

The reanimation thing would be interesting to look into, though.

I'm currently more of an "aspiring" modder than anything though, so my knowledge has huge gaps in that spectrum.

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2016, 07:44:39 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing an Elder Scrolls mod; preferably incorporating all the different types of Khajit (ie. including the ones that look totally human and the ones that look totally like cats)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6