Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ark: Evolve My Survival  (Read 2458 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Ark: Evolve My Survival
« on: July 02, 2016, 07:36:53 am »

So I picked this game up yesterday in the hopes of riding dinosaurs with my friends, but I don't know how to do anything beyond the most basic minecrafty stuff and also don't have enough friends who play. And what I've seen of the in game community doesn't inspire confidence.

So anyone interested in getting a bunch of forumgoers together for this? Doesn't even have to be a dedicated server or anything, I'd be happy with just having a bunch of people from around here to run around with and teach me how to evolve my survival.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Evolve My Survival
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 09:44:59 am »

For one off sessions I think people have had success with tunngle. It's basically LAN over internet. The limitation for ARK would be distance from the host within the game. You're tethered when using co-op that way. Look up the various settings for single player while you're contemplating what to do. They change everything from eat/drink rate to maximum level of wild dino spawn. If you fiddle with dino eating rate you'll find it also affects how you tame them. A dino that does not eat will not be tamed because the act of eating drives up the taming bar.

I may or maynot have time today and Wednesday. I'm PST. Working until this afternoon.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:37:12 am »

Well I was thinking more "everyone joins the same server" or somesuch moreso then using what sounds like 3rd party utilities? No point in having everyone muck around with that kinda thing when the game can do it easier and better.
I was trying to clarify that I wasn't expecting anyone to start up a bay12 only server or somesuch. Unless it would be easier to do that then I suspect. If that's an easy thing then that would be great, if not, can just all agree on a server and time.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 11:55:56 am »

No matter what, I think if you don't run a dedicated server you will be tethered to the host ingame.

Tunngle is pretty good for cutting through router settings and being more discoverable but not on a public server list. I don't know how character files work in non dedicated.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »

If you're interested, we already have a dedicated, premium server than at least a dozen other people used to frequent:

https://arkservers.net/server/69.12.88.250:16176/upvote
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:29:12 pm »

What kind of settings? Starvation death a norm? Put all your gear in a safe box?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 10:20:51 pm »

What kind of settings? Starvation death a norm? Put all your gear in a safe box?

Food drains 25% slower. If you can log on once a week, you should be good. Offline raiding has been disabled, so no one can kill or break anything of yours unless you/someone in your tribe is online. So far, we've had very little conflict anyhow. Everyone is pretty easygoing and amiable, barring a couple of minor thefts. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 07:33:07 am »

I looked for that ingame and didn't find it before. How do I find it? Is there an IP search function? EDIT: or I could just click the link in your link and be magically transported there. That works too.

Also, research shows that undedicated servers can have 4 people, including the host, at maximum. So one off, friends only things are limited there.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:34:48 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.