Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How does the AI of Lords and Ladies work?  (Read 3871 times)

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does the AI of Lords and Ladies work?
« on: April 14, 2016, 12:58:18 pm »

In my most recent game I've been working with the Lady in charge of a faction called 'The Fellowship of Spikes'...

Recently I have received several "drive off/subjugate faction" quests, however I don't understand something about them...

I know that in order to complete them I need to either kill the warlord/lord/lady in control of the site and all of their subordinates, or claim the site and then maim/kill enough people to force the occupying faction to route...

However, regarding the latter strategy, when I returned to my Lady (and requested to be made her hearth-person again, because apparently you can't claim land for your lord/lady, and by claiming it for yourself you disassociate yourself from them) she wouldn't accept the titles I had claimed for her...

That got me thinking, how does the AI of landowners actually work in game, or is it just a case of something very rudimentary being dressed up to seem much more sophisticated than it actually is?

Can the various factions grow in power during the course of the game, how does that happen, can the player effect the growth of a faction (can a player completely annihilate a faction), does anything of note happen if a lord/lady gains control over new territories?

I ask because, while playing, it isn't entirely apparent whether helping this lord accumulate power by destroying her competitors is actually having an impact on the world...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:06:06 pm by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: How does the AI of Lords and Ladies work?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:08:59 pm »

Yes you have an effect, yes the factions can grow in power (though it doenst mean too much at this early juncture, except for less successful insurrections (and possibly more junk in the keep?))  and a higher "conquest capability"  (eg a bigger army) , the world is simmed as you play so you also effect future wars aswell, (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities) yes you can completely kill off a faction (as shown in my science thread), however it is still only 42% complete. SO keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:15:19 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 01:15:00 pm »

Yes you have an effect, yes the factions can grow in power, the world is simmed as you play so you also effect future wars aswell, (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities) yes you can completely kill off a faction (as shown in my science thread), however it is still only 42% complete. SO keep that in mind.

So, what do I do with all of these titles I apparently have now?

The Lady I work under refuses to take them, and I suspect that giving the titles to her hearthpeople will turn them into independent rulers like it did with me...
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 01:16:04 pm »

Yes you have an effect, yes the factions can grow in power, the world is simmed as you play so you also effect future wars aswell, (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_activities) yes you can completely kill off a faction (as shown in my science thread), however it is still only 42% complete. SO keep that in mind.

So, what do I do with all of these titles I apparently have now?

The Lady I work under refuses to take them, and I suspect that giving the titles to her hearthpeople will turn them into independent rulers like it did with me...

I find it odd that she didnt accept them,(they are usually perfectly happy accepting)  just give it to a random person in the village or a hearth, she can get new ones.

ask to give her tribute first.
(also updated older post)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:20:09 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 01:22:15 pm »

I find it odd that she didnt accept them, just give it to a random person in the village

Wouldn't just giving the titles away to anyone eventually result in me being sent to drive them out by my liege?

I mean, the AI clearly wants the territory, or at least, wants no other faction to control it...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 01:23:03 pm »

I find it odd that she didnt accept them, just give it to a random person in the village

Wouldn't just giving the titles away to anyone eventually result in me being sent to drive them out by my liege?

I mean, the AI clearly wants the territory, or at least, wants no other faction to control it...

Ask to "pay her tribute" first, that will put your faction in a subordinate position. then give it away.
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 01:26:43 pm »

Its called "offer to pay homage"
I am an indie game dev!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 01:35:24 pm »

Some context for how feudal systems worked:

What does it mean to pay homage to someone?
respect or reverence paid or rendered: In his speech he paid homage to Washington and Jefferson. 2. the formal public acknowledgment by which a feudal tenant or vassal declared himself to be the man or vassal of his lord, owing him fealty and service. 3.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS573US573&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pay%20homage%20medieval
I am an indie game dev!

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 01:46:10 pm »

Ask to "pay her tribute" first, that will put your faction in a subordinate position. then give it away.

Okay, here's what happened:

You: "The Ace Band offers to pay homage to The Fellowship of Spikes."

The lady, Mim Casotkuppo: "I accept your offer."

You: "Would you agree to become lady of The Ace Band, taking over my duties and responsibilities?"

The lady, Mim Casotkuppo: "I'm sorry, but I am otherwise disposed."

I am pretty confident that that is just a roundabout away of saying 'Fuck you, no.'...

Do I need to let some time pass between offering tribute and transfering control over to her?

That would make sense I suppose...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:48:13 pm by Sit_Rom.exe »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 02:50:22 pm »

I said dont give it to her, give i to someone else, the homage will still be there.No they shouldnt attack someone whos essentially a vassel and paying homage makes you essentially a vassel.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:53:05 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 09:05:12 pm »

They can't hold more than one active lord/lady position at a time. This is also part of how I did the SuperCuckoo Maneuver prior to making dorfs build towns.

As it happened if there was a dorf in charge of a site they wouldn't give out quests or whatnot properly so I would kill them or get them killed and then claim the site, brag to those around me, make them hearthpeople, then give the position to one of them once the trickle of people coming to the keep stopped. After that I ask to join myself, get accepted, and then can get quests from this non-dorf lord.

Now that all the races in my game work properly in the position I only need the Lesser Cuckoo Maneuver if I get told there is no room for me and need to go assassinate a hearthperson before I can join.

With dfhack, for the record, you can check the lord and find out their military.squad_id, then check df.global.world.squads[that squad id] and positions, go down to the bottom one and set the unit_id to -1 then talk to the lord and you'll get accepted assuming your fame was sufficient first.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 02:38:23 pm »

So, if you give a title to someone, can you request or demand homage from them? Or are they automatically free agents?

I used to accumulate keeps and wonder if there was some way to consolidate them into one faction, maybe even build a civilization...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 04:19:55 pm »

So, if you give a title to someone, can you request or demand homage from them? Or are they automatically free agents?

I used to accumulate keeps and wonder if there was some way to consolidate them into one faction, maybe even build a civilization...

Yes you can request any lord or lady to pay homage to your group.

It doesnt mean they will pay you homage though.
I am an indie game dev!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 04:53:31 pm »

Yes you can request any lord or lady to pay homage to your group.

It doesnt mean they will pay you homage though.
I'm guessing that their likelihood of doing so is based on your "honor" in terms of monsters vanquished or the strength of your hearth army?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 09:55:21 pm »

When I tell people about my deeds, generally when they're all amazed at who I am and such they are more likely to pay homage.

If not yet then doing a takedown/disarming them tends to work.
Pages: [1] 2