Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Community-Driven Mod Ideas for a Pokemon Mod Reboot?  (Read 22835 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Community-Driven Mod Ideas for a Pokemon Mod Reboot?
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2016, 11:42:46 am »

Legendaries should definitely be megabeasts, and unique or exceptionally powerful normal Pokemon might be semi-megas.  Using spheres to encourage specific naming patterns is a good idea.  Most Legendaries should probably be able to be worshipped, especially the ones based on mythological beasts.

One interesting question is how technological or otherwise advanced Pokemon will appear - Mewtwo's not too hard to justify despite his origins as a genetically engineered creature, but what the heck does a medieval Porygon look like?  Or Rotom!  Does Rotom have a millstone form, or a floodgate form?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2016, 11:58:31 am »

Legendaries should definitely be megabeasts, and unique or exceptionally powerful normal Pokemon might be semi-megas.  Using spheres to encourage specific naming patterns is a good idea.  Most Legendaries should probably be able to be worshipped, especially the ones based on mythological beasts.

One interesting question is how technological or otherwise advanced Pokemon will appear - Mewtwo's not too hard to justify despite his origins as a genetically engineered creature, but what the heck does a medieval Porygon look like?  Or Rotom!  Does Rotom have a millstone form, or a floodgate form?
Rotom is still a bolt of electricity in his basic form. while the other forms were probably MEANT to be stupid, neither of them use electricity. Rotom could still exist, though(unless I'm wrong and it was created by a scientist).
porygon doesn't exist anymore, because he hasn't been invented yet.
Some poison pokemon created from trash shouldn't exist, either. grimer is similar to that vanilla swamp creature, so it might exist.
hey, what pokemon should have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:01:10 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2016, 05:12:21 pm »

Probably only the ones that are actively malevolent.  I'd reserve that for particularly dangerous and nasty legendaries like Mewtwo, Giratina, maybe Spirittomb...  the stuff that rules over exceptionally inimical concepts.  One of the themes of Pokemon is that few Pokemon are actively 'bad', and almost all of them can be befriended.  I could see some of the nastier ghost-types getting it as well, stuff like Dusknoir.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

~LegacyCWAL

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2016, 08:36:58 pm »

Just saying, if you pick up a coffin and fill it with bodies as a necromancer, you can already play pokemon. It's actually an effective tactic if you were a vampire before.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2016, 10:34:17 am »

I love this idea but disagree with mewtwo getting the opposed to life tag as he never IS opposed to life, I mean there was the time when he thought cloned pokemon should be the only ones alived but he grew out of that and ends up guarding his clone friends from the people and pokemon that want them dead.... hyrdreigon should have it since it's dex entry mentions that it pretty much just murders everything around it iirc also would fossil pokemon be in the mod?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2016, 09:56:30 am »

also would fossil pokemon be in the mod?
IF the mod uses DFHACK then you could have a masterwork-style fossil where you could turn fossils into pokemon. I think that Hydreigon should have crazed. what creatures would have AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2016, 11:01:16 am »

I agree with hydreigon and as for who should have at peace, I would say mostly ones like leafeon, bellossum and others like that, but it is MANDATORY that Pokemon like milotic and torterra have it, miliotic because it says that it can calm down any person or Pokemon around it and torterra because of the fact that it says it lets Pokemon live on it iirc, also I imagine that dwarves seeing a slugma would be like, Urist1: THAT THING IS MADE OF MAGMA!!!! others: CAGE THAT THING AND TAME IT NOW SO WE CAN MAKE LIVING WAR MAGMA!!!!!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2016, 11:05:21 am »

Is anyone actually working on this mod?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2016, 01:59:57 pm »

I might.  I've been doing work on the Monster Hunter mod, and some of the stuff I learned there would probably be appropriate here.

If I do decide to knuckle down and actually start putting this together, I'd definitely go for the Pokenobunaga vibe for the human civilizations.  The only thing is, I'm fairly certain that at some point in this process, I'm going to have to learn DFhack to add some of the features I'd want later on (Apricorn Balls, some of the more complex Pokemon tricks, proper Evolution handling, although I remember the Mario mod has a creature with a transformation mechanic dependent on the unit not having any COMBAT_HARDNESS - evolution could work in reverse, using COMBAT_HARDNESS to measure how much experience a Pokemon has in combat and letting them evolve when it gets high enough for standard, evolves-by-level Pokes)

~LegacyCWAL

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2016, 09:17:14 pm »

How would type-effectiveness work? Same thing for moves: some can be modded in a vanilla game- like poison jab or flamethrower- but precisely how would you emulate moves like ice beam or thunderbolt?

Do you also plan to add shinies: that could be possible- like for example
a Lucario's fur color:
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLUE:4096:YELLOW:1]
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2016, 09:29:37 pm »

well I mean lightning could basically be renamed fire and I remember hearing about someone working on ice breath attack, the real problem is gonna be things like Hurricane, Tri attack and hyper beam

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2016, 09:36:09 pm »

well I mean lightning could basically be renamed fire and I remember hearing about someone working on ice breath attack, the real problem is gonna be things like Hurricane, Tri attack and hyper beam

Noted. Any answer to the shiny question though?

Oh and also how would weaknesses and resistances work?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:05:29 pm by Z49000 »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2016, 04:53:43 am »

Creature classes and material vulnerabilities.  Give each creature CREATURE_CLASS:its typing and most moves will be material emissions anyways, so you can set it up so that it gives creatures of CREATURE_CLASS:weak type a material vulnerability (thus increasing the momentum of the attack against that type).  The same way a werebeast is weak to a random metal, but pre-determined.

~LegacyCWAL

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2016, 01:47:00 pm »

Creature classes and material vulnerabilities.  Give each creature CREATURE_CLASS:its typing and most moves will be material emissions anyways, so you can set it up so that it gives creatures of CREATURE_CLASS:weak type a material vulnerability (thus increasing the momentum of the attack against that type).  The same way a werebeast is weak to a random metal, but pre-determined.
Ah, that works. Still no answer to my shiny question though.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2016, 09:54:12 am »

for Hurricane a TRAILING_DUST_FLOW, or a UNDIRECTED_DUST material emission of "air" might work.
for Tri-attack, I believe you can have one material emission shoot out lightning(which can paralyze), fire(super-hot), and ice(super cold, maybe having some other syndromes simulating freezing)
for hyper beam, maybe you can make a material emission interaction that also causes the user to become tired. not sure if you can have an attack have one enemy target and target itself, though.

Ah, that works. Still no answer to my shiny question though.
Personally, I think maybe you could have the shiny castes have [PET_EXOTIC] and have a high PET_VALUE so it would be worth it trying to catch it after having it's non-shiny forms.
It should have a low POP_RATIO.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9