Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Community-Driven Mod Ideas for a Pokemon Mod Reboot?  (Read 22785 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: Community-Driven Mod Ideas for a Pokemon Mod Reboot?
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2016, 06:15:14 pm »

More progress with berries, and I added apricorns. The new plant file now features a total of 26 berries and 7 apricorns.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I might take a break from berries and search for other things to do. Perhaps the fanciful creatures. Like I said if anyone wants to take a look, that would be wonderful.

Give them the prone to anger tag that badgers have. You can try editing their personalities as well so they are super-brave and love to brawl, which definitely has effects on your citizens in fortress mode.
Ohhh I forgot about that tag. That would work, and make all the different Pokemon even more dangerous >:D I'm imagining this game is going to be really really hard if you don't tame right away :p
'ere the Chias get hungry...

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2016, 06:21:14 pm »

I would keep a handful of common domestic animals around.  Probably horses(wagon pullers), cows(cheese), cats(vermin eaters) and sheep(wool).  Pokemon don't strike me as good wagon pullers, as you need a docile animal for that job. 

I was also thinking you might want to make some evolved pokemon Trap-Avoid so that you have to catch their base forms and evolve them. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2016, 06:57:52 pm »

I would keep a handful of common domestic animals around.  Probably horses(wagon pullers), cows(cheese), cats(vermin eaters) and sheep(wool).  Pokemon don't strike me as good wagon pullers, as you need a docile animal for that job. 

I was also thinking you might want to make some evolved pokemon Trap-Avoid so that you have to catch their base forms and evolve them.
Keeping some common domestics is probably a good idea lol.

I think the trap avoid would be great for some of the tougher evolved pokemon, but definitely not all of them. I do like the idea of having to evolve your pokemon to get the rarer ones.

Also I went ahead and made all the legendaries' fanciful definitions.
I think some of the plural forms are wrong, but I wasn't sure what to use.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2016, 07:14:20 pm »

But my Moomoo Milk! My skitties chasing vermin! My mareep farms! My Rhyhorn/Gogoat riders (They're canon to Kalos!)

Also

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2016, 07:15:13 pm »

But my Moomoo Milk! My skitties chasing vermin! My mareep farms! My Rhyhorn/Gogoat riders (They're canon to Kalos!)
Why not both?  ;D

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2016, 07:16:52 pm »

Why not both?  ;D

Seems to detract from the fidelity of the setting and the novelty of the total conversion. After all, you don't see horses or cats in the typical pokemon setting.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2016, 07:18:49 pm »

Why not both?  ;D

Seems to detract from the fidelity of the setting and the novelty of the total conversion. After all, you don't see horses or cats in the typical pokemon setting.
Fair enough. Until we're done with all those creatures I think we'll keep the common domestics. Once we have all their replacements implemented we can remove the old ones.

Edit: also sig'd the other post lol. Hope ya dont mind ;)

Edit - make it double!: You might wanna see this link btw. It features dogs and cats and such.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:23:24 pm by Toxicshadow »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2016, 08:28:42 pm »

I feel the opposite.  If every civilization has ponyta pulling their wagons, then ponytas lose their intrigue.  You need dwarfy animals to do dwarfy things and let the pokemon do pokemon things.  It's fine if the plains civ has tauros wagons and the mountain civ has graveler wagons, but DF needs wagon pullers to work and you may not be able to ensure that every civ is generated with a wagon puller.  I guess wool and dairy aren't all that important; it can be a major pain to embark without vermin eaters, but at least that won't crash the game.  So I could live with just horses as the common domestic animal. 

Ponyta and Tauros were pretty rare pokemon in the games, it would seem weird to me if every civ had them pulling wagons all of a sudden.  Gogoats pulling wagons makes more sense, since they seem to be widely domesticated, but we haven't gotten up to French pokemon yet.  I wouldn't mind hand-picking a few Gen4+ pokemon to do jobs like that, but then I'm not touching any creature files this time.  I want to go through the Gen123 list and see which ones might have useful purposes or extracts. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2016, 08:33:43 pm »

I feel the opposite.  If every civilization has ponyta pulling their wagons, then ponytas lose their intrigue.  You need dwarfy animals to do dwarfy things and let the pokemon do pokemon things.  It's fine if the plains civ has tauros wagons and the mountain civ has graveler wagons, but DF needs wagon pullers to work and you may not be able to ensure that every civ is generated with a wagon puller.  I guess wool and dairy aren't all that important; it can be a major pain to embark without vermin eaters, but at least that won't crash the game.  So I could live with just horses as the common domestic animal. 

Ponyta and Tauros were pretty rare pokemon in the games, it would seem weird to me if every civ had them pulling wagons all of a sudden.  Gogoats pulling wagons makes more sense, since they seem to be widely domesticated, but we haven't gotten up to French pokemon yet.  I wouldn't mind hand-picking a few Gen4+ pokemon to do jobs like that, but then I'm not touching any creature files this time.  I want to go through the Gen123 list and see which ones might have useful purposes or extracts.
For sure don't worry about touching any creature files. I think I'm just going to do the recreation thing. I want to redo the BDPs and such anyways. If you do want to pick out some useful ones that would be great! You definitely don't need too, you've done a bunch so far, but if you're up for it go for it!

I do agree though on the diluting the pokemon with a couple of the real world creatures. The anime points at pokemon and real world creatures living together anyways honestly.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2016, 10:50:42 pm »

Every time I go through this list, there seems like less pokemon than I thought there would be. 

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2016, 11:19:19 pm »

On the note for LARGE_PREDATOR, the wiki mentions
Quote from: DF Wiki
Only one group of "large predators" will appear on any given map
Meaning on any given map you could end up with nothing but Magikarp, or nothing but Steelix way down in the caverns. This seems problematic lol. Its a shame LIKES_FIGHTING has been deprecated, I'm not sure if there's a replacement tag.

Uh, that isn't true.  At all... don't know what it's doing on the wiki.  My ROTMK mod gives almost everything LARGE_PREDATOR and they show up fine.

As for mundane animals, I'd say give the mod the standard modular treatment: Don't change any base files, and add a suffix to all the objects added.  Then players can insert pokemon into whatever world they want.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2016, 11:49:06 pm »

Just my 2 cents on that list ya got there.

Feel free to ignore the above stuff. I went through the list and I'm really confused about the wagon pulling and vermin hunting designations.

There are some pokemon labeled as wagon pulling that have no business pulling wagons. Either they aren't physically up for it, or it really doesn't fit the personality of the pokemon.  The same can be said about vermin hunters. For example, Skarmory (the giant metal bird pokemon) shouldn't be pulling wagons. And Absol (the pokemon who predicts natural disasters) doesn't seem like the kind to hunt vermin.

It may be better to create a class of common domestic pokemon so that these pokemon, who wouldn't do these things, wont have to. That way there would be the standard wagon pullers (tauros, rapidas, piloswine, camerupt) who it makes sense for them to be pulling wagons, that would always be available. Then you could add ones like golem and tropius who make some sense pulling wagons as special regional options, but you don't have to have Skarmory or Slaking pulling wagons because there's just no better option in that region.

The same arguement for vermin hunters.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2016, 08:45:08 am »

I suppose I have been a little overzealous with the tags, but it seems to me that most pokemon get pretty versatile.  If say, anything that can learn HM Strength can wagon-pull, then a lot more of them would be able to do it.  If I had an Exploud and a wagon, I probably would hitch the Exploud because Explouds are cool.  Goofy rule-of-cool solutions is part of the pokemon experience to me. 

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2016, 10:18:29 am »

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of pokemon who could pull wagons. It just seems like there are pokemon who line up better as wagon pullers than others.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2016, 12:31:21 pm »

On the note for LARGE_PREDATOR, the wiki mentions
Quote from: DF Wiki
Only one group of "large predators" will appear on any given map
Meaning on any given map you could end up with nothing but Magikarp, or nothing but Steelix way down in the caverns. This seems problematic lol. Its a shame LIKES_FIGHTING has been deprecated, I'm not sure if there's a replacement tag.

Uh, that isn't true.  At all... don't know what it's doing on the wiki.  My ROTMK mod gives almost everything LARGE_PREDATOR and they show up fine.

As for mundane animals, I'd say give the mod the standard modular treatment: Don't change any base files, and add a suffix to all the objects added.  Then players can insert pokemon into whatever world they want.
Oh? Somebody should edit that or start a discussion on the creature tokens page then.
Also, I'm not familiar with the suffix thing, care to explain? :P

-snip-

Feel free to ignore the above stuff. I went through the list and I'm really confused about the wagon pulling and vermin hunting designations.

There are some pokemon labeled as wagon pulling that have no business pulling wagons. Either they aren't physically up for it, or it really doesn't fit the personality of the pokemon.  The same can be said about vermin hunters. For example, Skarmory (the giant metal bird pokemon) shouldn't be pulling wagons. And Absol (the pokemon who predicts natural disasters) doesn't seem like the kind to hunt vermin.

It may be better to create a class of common domestic pokemon so that these pokemon, who wouldn't do these things, wont have to. That way there would be the standard wagon pullers (tauros, rapidas, piloswine, camerupt) who it makes sense for them to be pulling wagons, that would always be available. Then you could add ones like golem and tropius who make some sense pulling wagons as special regional options, but you don't have to have Skarmory or Slaking pulling wagons because there's just no better option in that region.

The same arguement for vermin hunters.
I mean, Camerupt has two volcanoes on its back, it's body is filled with molten lava. Dunno about you but I'd be a little nervous having a wagon pulled by a pair of temperamental volcanoes.

We could make arguments all day honestly as to which pokemon can and can't pull wagons.

AceSV, great job again with that list  :P

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of pokemon who could pull wagons. It just seems like there are pokemon who line up better as wagon pullers than others.
For sure. It would be nice if we could set like a 'priority' so a civ can use the most likely ones first unless they're not available.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9