Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The ultimate echidna  (Read 1074 times)

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
The ultimate echidna
« on: April 15, 2016, 06:55:11 am »

Short version:
I possibly have an immortal echidna on my hands. Is there any way of knowing if this is a bug or an uber-lucky echidna?

Long version:
A minotaur showed up at my fort, but instead of going for my dwarfs, he decided to beat up an echidna nearby. He chased it and started beating the hell out of it near the map's edge. It lasted for some time, as minotaur striked and gored the echidna (quite long actually), before my squad of macedwarfs showed up from beneath the moutain.
One mace dwarf charged forward and killed of the minotaur in three strikes (neck->leg->brain). Being bored as hell with no decent enemies in my evil biome, I ordered the squad to kill the echidna. So they came one by one and started beating the poor creature with their maces. Then a mace lord came and invented echidna gold - punching it hard enough that it flies along the map border. Now 5 macedwarfs are beating the echidna with maces 24/7 but it still lives, is  unconcious and has only one damaged part - upper body (red).

I checked the battle logs with the minotaur and with my macedwarfs. They all hit the echidna it its upper body, every time. The only time other bodyparts are involved is when it is propelled by the force of the blow, but then its get "the hair is teared" or something. It even doesn't show on the health status.

I wonder what happens next...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:57:31 am by Roofless »

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The ultimate echidna
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:31:58 am »

UPD:
Made a copy of my save for !!SCIENCE!!. An Axelord finished the echidna off in three hits to upper body.
I'll check spears, hammers and bolts now.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 07:37:04 am »

There is a bug that causes sufficiently small creatures (in particular animated head skin and head hair) to be virtually (or possibly actually) impossible to kill, especially with blunt attacks. There are several reports of fortresses on the brink of destruction because all the dorfs are beating on a sufficiently small thing, passing out from exhaustion, waking up, resuming, and slowly dying of thirst and hunger. Civilians bringing water join in (bolstered by alcohol fueled bravery),...

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:22:09 am »

Hmm, I should trap that echidna as a dummy for training exercises then.

P.S. Speardwarf killed it of in three strikes too.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 10:37:14 am »

Echidnas roll up into a ball when disturbed. In this state, their only attackable body part is "upper body" and they're extremely difficult to hurt. Other animals with such a defensive mode are armadillos and turtles.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:35:02 am »

I had such an echidna rolled before my front gate. It was afraid of a chained cat, I suppose. It spent a few months in this state, occasionally unrolling, but not moving. None of my dwarves attacked it, they were just completely oblivious. It was finally killed by and elf zombie axeman, with an iron great axe (just for record).