Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gamelog.txt  (Read 6259 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Gamelog.txt
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 05:19:56 pm »

3 FPS is probably a little low, but I had a 200 or so dwarf fortress that ran at around 15 FPS and it was still totally playable; you just had to make sure that you never focused on only a single task at one time and were always multitasking so that you had enough work for all the dwarves to be working at the same time (build the giant fortress walls and carve out the fountain system at the same time, and so forth).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 02:44:14 am »

3 FPS is probably a little low, but I had a 200 or so dwarf fortress that ran at around 15 FPS and it was still totally playable; you just had to make sure that you never focused on only a single task at one time and were always multitasking so that you had enough work for all the dwarves to be working at the same time (build the giant fortress walls and carve out the fountain system at the same time, and so forth).

I've lived through 12 fps forts, but the multitasking for me involved more "watch youtube, read library books, check df every ten minutes, make sure all the pauses caused by announcements are turned off."
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 06:55:24 am »

I generally let the fort run itself until it pauses.  If its a caravan, I'll stick around to do a round of trading and then I'm off doing something else.  If its a siege/strange mood/beast attack, I'll screenshot/document it and then leave after things have settled down again.

Things I do in the time between pauses:
  • Go running
  • Read a book
  • Woodworking
  • Browse the internet randomly
  • Browse the internet specifically
  • Watch a movie
  • Play minecraft on my second monitor (~1 fps reduction)
Probably the most time consuming thing I do in between pauses is coming up with new metrics by which to document my fortress.  Currently working on a table of population levels accurate to the year, stretching back the now-100 year history of the fortress.  Since no records were kept at the time, I have to research migration arrivals (legends-viewer), births (therapist to narrow the list down and in-game description to get birth-dates), and deaths (a previously compiled list of death dates).  Since looking at dwarf descriptions pauses the game, I have another copy of the save open and paused (doesn't affect the fps of the main game at all) to use in this research.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 07:50:06 pm »

My fort has grown far to big to research genioligy of each dwarf.

But therapist did show an anomaly in first names.
Out of 932 dwarfs there is only 1 with a unique first name.
All other names there are 2 to 10 (at least) of. I've got 8 Urist  ;)
The lone standout?  Dumed.

Maybe its too close to Doomed or Dumbed?

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 08:23:33 pm »

yeah 3 fps is dead by virtually everyone's standards fyi
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 [2]