Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invasion climbing  (Read 742 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invasion climbing
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:07:44 pm »

How many z-levels up or down can an invader go down a sheer cliff face? 

I've got a waterfall embark and two z-levels down I have breached the canyon walls with a bridge to get across the chasm.  Just had first invasion and lo and behold some head to the door while a couple fell/climbed down the chasm and reached my breach point.

Just trying to think about how to seal that off...either going down further or having sealing bridges on either side.  Or would it be easier to just floor over the canyon three or four tiles wide on both sides of the bridge?  (The Top bridge and then the breach bridge are directly below one another.  Sheer chance as I didn't even look at that until I realized I had invaders inside the fortress.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:13:45 pm by ragincajun »
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
Re: Invasion climbing
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 06:57:18 pm »

I had to deal with the same problem in one of my older fortresses.

Usually I build the bulk of my fortress in the metamorphic layer, deep underground, but I also have an underground farm in the deeper soil layers, an underground greenhouse for above-ground crops, and an above-ground pasture/orchard. This particular fortress had its orchard surrounded with 3 z high wooden walls, with no fancy archer towers or anything. Soon my first goblin siege arrived, and I was calmly watching them pile into my hallway of cage traps when I started getting a load of job cancellation spam and

"Stray Horse has been found dead."
"Stray Alpaca has been found dead."
"Stray Piglet has been found dead."
"Stray Drake has been found dead."
"Stray Yak Bull has been found dead."
"Stray Leopard has been found dead."

and that's when I discovered 2 goblins inside my orchard. I freaked out because I had no army yet, but I waited for a season or so and they eventually climbed out.

I solved the issue by slaughtering all strays and forcing the pet owners to feed their own animals, removing the pasture zone and leaving it as an orchard.

In your case, I would advise building an outcropping of 2 tiles or so wide. You could line the bridge with fortifications, too.
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 04:04:14 am »

The answer is probably "as many as there are". I've had crundles and trogolodytes climb a 30 or so deep shaft between two caverns. Thus prevention (in the form of an outcropping or roof) is probably the only safe way. Smoothed natural rock is said to be quite effective as well (might possibly be only be 99% effective). A roof keeps the keas out as well...

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 07:26:40 am »

The answer is probably "as many as there are". I've had crundles and trogolodytes climb a 30 or so deep shaft between two caverns. Thus prevention (in the form of an outcropping or roof) is probably the only safe way. Smoothed natural rock is said to be quite effective as well (might possibly be only be 99% effective). A roof keeps the keas out as well...
Hadn't even thought about something flying down into the canyon...so maybe wall the sides of the bridge and then dig in from the next level up, floor over the bridge and then wall off that upper opening to make a contained box passage? 
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 07:49:10 am »

That would work, although I don't like even temporary breaches into my fortress, so I'd build the roof from the outside end (typically using a ramp to get up on the wall).
Unfortunately, it seems non beak dog mounts (such as Giant Cave Swallows) are AWOL (but it's good beak dogs are back), so the risk of a flying goblin siege is minimal. A flying titan, however, is possible (and may very well bug out and just hover in the air above the center of your fortress unless a bait presents itself and draws it close enough to an entrance for it to find the entrance).
Keas and/or buzzards, on the other hand, are very common (I had one fortress where I traded away two or three waves of buzzards at a time to the humans just to get rid of them).