Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you enjoy playing dwarf fortress adventure mode ?  (Read 7207 times)

reiraf21

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Outlander
    • View Profile
How do you enjoy playing dwarf fortress adventure mode ?
« on: April 15, 2016, 01:30:01 am »

Well, the title says it .How do you all enjoy dwarf fortress adventure mode ?
For me,
Most of the time i couldn't play this game with ASCII .So , i use the tileset instead ,but by just using tileset it is not enough.

The fact is that dwarf fortress is music can't be played in adventure mode (it is only while in the main menu).
So i just use the one i got from the elder scrolls mod.After getting around , i found the ones that suits me best.
It is The Elder Scrolls Morrowind's soundtrack ,that things is damn so cool. :o

So , How do you guys enjoy playing dwarf fortress ? What do you guys also do when you got bored from it?

Xune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you enjoy playing dwarf fortress adventure mode ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 01:53:06 am »

I'm just dabbling with the game but I have found it more readable with the Phobos tile set. I also use sound sense.

In terms of play I'm still learning the mechanics of the game and the current limitations of the code. For example, you can't spar or otherwise train your weapon skills as happens in fort mode, it's combat only which leads to gamey play, like flat-slapping a crippled opponent. Those kinds of things aside, it's been fun stumbling across tombs, into bandit camps, monster lairs and getting ambushed by bogeymen. My demigod characters are dying off left and right but I'm slowly lasting longer with each one!

reiraf21

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Outlander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 02:00:22 am »

you mean Phoebus tiles? using sound sense made my game a bit lag while running around.

also , using Demigod also didn't make too much sense between peasants and hero.  :-[

No matter how strong you are in the game , you will die!!!! in .......ANGEEEEER!!!!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 02:18:32 am »

I've played adventure mode so much, it's like how they say in the Matrix, you don't see the code anymore, you see the world.  I would have such a hard time using any sort of tileset, because the ASCII characters don't like letters to me anymore, they're more distinct than actual pictures of people and animals.

Also, savescum.  Seriously, the amount of skill grinding necessary to turn your character unkillable costs a bit more than an hour of constant, mind numbing wrestling/dodging/shield user training, to the point that it just exacerbates the pain of losing your adventurer to a lucky shot.  Savescumming saves lives, and your sanity.

The reason why adventure mode is so fun to me, personally, is the building up process.  Same reason I like shonen anime, the struggle to become the strongest creature on the planet, and then the sadistic glee when you do finally become strong enough to take anything on and win, it's addictive.  Fortress mode never really held much appeal to me in comparison.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 04:26:45 am »

Tileset: what the game displays the terrain and text and such with, ascii (df's version of curses page 437) is a tileset, my improved Curses+1 sets are tilesets as well.

Graphics set: these replace the creatures with little drawings or whatnot, I prefer the CLA animal-letters if I'm going to use graphics, but I haven't had them on for a while now.

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 07:53:35 am »

I use Phobeus (Although Phobos sounds better, Xune) tile set, mostly because I find the look of it generally more pleasing than most others.

With the lack of music, I listen to Final Fantasy OSTs, mostly the older FF games like 3 or 4.
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 09:39:37 am »

I use default ASCII - in version 40.xx I used the Ironhand tileset but I changed over to ASCII when 42.01 came out since I didn't feel like waiting for the tileset to be updated for this version.

To be fair, I didn't really have to adjust too much to it - my only problem with the default ASCII is seeing dark blue coloured objects and creatures. Otherwise I see what everything is supposed to be and not symbols.

As for music, I usually play old SNES RPG music in the background - Terranigma, Lufia 2, Illusion of Time (or Illusion of Gaia as it was known in the US), Breath of Fire 2, Live a Live, FF4-6, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Seiken Densetsu 3, A Link to the Past, etc. I sometimes do play more modern soundtracks, i.e from World of Warcraft, Warcraft 3, Diablo 1 and 2, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Majora's Mask, although I find they dont fit quite as well...dunno why, honestly.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 01:04:53 pm »

I do get bored with DF from time to time. When that happens, I step back and come back later.

If that's not satisfying, fortress mode can be spiced up by treating it less like a game and more like an art project.

I don't intend to brag, but since I was playing NetHack and other roguelikes* before i found DF, I find the ASCII graphics rather comfortable. When I did try tilesets, I found Phoebus most to my liking, and I hope it is kept up to date.

I think to enjoy adventure mode I have to pretend that it's actually a role playing game, which requires a bit of imagination. Actually feel like you're invested in the little psuedomedieval universe and enjoy the exploring and getting to know various factions. Also, the combat mechanics. Oh, the combat mechanics.

* Mostly Dungeon Crawl Stone Sou and, T.O.M.E., the latter of which I think has changed its name since I stopped playing.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 04:11:02 pm »

I do get bored with DF from time to time. When that happens, I step back and come back later.

If that's not satisfying, fortress mode can be spiced up by treating it less like a game and more like an art project.

I don't intend to brag, but since I was playing NetHack and other roguelikes* before i found DF, I find the ASCII graphics rather comfortable. When I did try tilesets, I found Phoebus most to my liking, and I hope it is kept up to date.

I think to enjoy adventure mode I have to pretend that it's actually a role playing game, which requires a bit of imagination. Actually feel like you're invested in the little psuedomedieval universe and enjoy the exploring and getting to know various factions. Also, the combat mechanics. Oh, the combat mechanics.

* Mostly Dungeon Crawl Stone Sou and, T.O.M.E., the latter of which I think has changed its name since I stopped playing.
"pretend " its an actual RPG?
It is an RPG it just uses ascii.

You make so many choices in this game its ludicrous, you can pretty much play any role you want!
A bard? Go for it, its super deep and complex.

A hero, go for it, its also deep and complex.

Join the bandits and become a bandit and start robbing people(yes you can do it) and get quests from  your leader, its deep and complex.

A soldier for  a lord? You can also get quests and its super deep and complex.

and on and on.

IT IS an rpg.

Toady even refers to it as "the rpg mode" half the time , and for good reason.

My why you should play adventure mode thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157142.msg6893602#msg6893602

How would you have to "pretend" its an rpg?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:21:01 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 10:53:20 pm »

One thing I like in this game is I create a Martial Artist, a fighter with Punch and Kick combos, with some wrestling as well. No weapons, I have my body!

Breaking someone's arms then unleashing a flurry of quick punches at their torso is very satisfying, especially when they explode!
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 11:05:39 pm »

I honestly don't really focus upon fighting. I just like exploring and understanding the world.  I actually kind of hate killing unique figures, because I find the population fillers to be terribly boring, and think that killing a vampire with unique flair makes the world a less interesting place.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 07:24:32 am »

You make so many choices in this game its ludicrous, you can pretty much play any role you want!

Join the bandits and become a bandit and start robbing people(yes you can do it) and get quests from  your leader, its deep and complex.

and on and on.

IT IS an rpg.

I'm used to playing RPG's with human beings.

I hear your complaint, though. I thin for me the wooden dialog and repetitive nature of adventuring, plus the weird combat dynamics make it hard to immerse myself in it. And sometimes when there are things going on it's hard to understand. Like the lord says "We are being invaded by an army!" And I walk around outside and there's nothing but empty houses. Catching the actual combat is probably a lot more lifelike, but for an RPG it's a bit less player-focused.

That said, yes, I think I'm being a little unfair in my expectations, and if you can let go of player focus and try to read the nuances of the seemingly random and someitmes cryptic dialog, that's where it is going and that is what I enjoy about adventure mode. Now to read your thread...

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 04:40:29 pm »

and on and on.

IT IS an rpg.

I'm used to playing RPG's with human beings.

I hear your complaint, though. I thin for me the wooden dialog and repetitive nature of adventuring, plus the weird combat dynamics make it hard to immerse myself in it. And sometimes when there are things going on it's hard to understand. Like the lord says "We are being invaded by an army!" And I walk around outside and there's nothing but empty houses. Catching the actual combat is probably a lot more lifelike, but for an RPG it's a bit less player-focused.

That said, yes, I think I'm being a little unfair in my expectations, and if you can let go of player focus and try to read the nuances of the seemingly random and someitmes cryptic dialog, that's where it is going and that is what I enjoy about adventure mode. Now to read your thread...

Are you running with 42.06?, it greatly improves adventurer mode.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 01:59:39 pm »

Exploring is fun, but I would love to have more to do apart from combat, exploring and doing quests. I would love to do something I do in UnRealWorld - to be a simple farmer who has to fight for his survival - to have food on his table, firewood to stay warm and not freeze to death, skins to make clothes from. But I would also love to trade with nearby villages, so that what I do makes sense. I would love to feel that the extra food I produce would feed someone else, that my skins would decrease demand for them and people would actually wear them, that villagers would use items that I am making.

It is fun to play a blacksmith in Skyrim, but I've never felt that I am part of the world there. I would love to in DF.
Yes, I'm gay.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 02:17:05 pm »

Exploring is fun, but I would love to have more to do apart from combat, exploring and doing quests. I would love to do something I do in UnRealWorld - to be a simple farmer who has to fight for his survival - to have food on his table, firewood to stay warm and not freeze to death, skins to make clothes from. But I would also love to trade with nearby villages, so that what I do makes sense. I would love to feel that the extra food I produce would feed someone else, that my skins would decrease demand for them and people would actually wear them, that villagers would use items that I am making.

It is fun to play a blacksmith in Skyrim, but I've never felt that I am part of the world there. I would love to in DF.
I mean with modding it's possible to craft stuff or play a simple farmer. now it's even simpler to just role play a life of a peasant who write songs and dance... the extra food production possible too if you move yourself into a player fort where they appreciate.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2