Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mortal Online...  (Read 1821 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mortal Online...
« on: April 16, 2016, 06:28:10 pm »

so it seems the last thread about this dates back to 2013. so didnt want to call on necromantic powers.

i bet most people in Bay12 know about this game so i will just open the field for discussion.

as for those who dont know about it.

Mortal Online is a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game set in the world of Nave. with its own history, races and nations. the game is well known for its rather problematic development. i cant remember when it was released (something loke 200X or later)...

outside of the bad critics it has received the game is well known for supporting free for all PvP and full loot. this means that anyone can kill you and take your stuff.

the game had a major expansion last year. it opened field to a new continent called Sarducaa. the place of birth of one of the races. and the most recent developments have been a revamp or relaunch of the magic system (im not well versed in the thing).

the game has had also been released on Steam. they put regular updates on development and that stuff.

as for features:

1. open world environment (there doesnt seem to be any instanced content)
2. extensive crafting. (have just scratched the surface, but it seems everything is crafted by the players and you can almost craft anything from anything)
3. animal taming (you can tame most animals and breed them for much more powerfull offspring, some of them serve as mounts too and can use armor and carry stuff along with transportation)
4. magic (it may have changed since the last updates so i dont know the details)
5. action based combat (think of like Skyrim, you dont press rotations and that stuff like in most MMOs, instead you have to actually aim and block attacks, you can also do more powerfull attacks by leaving the mouse button pressed. and it has localized damage.)
6. free for all PvP (its like on EVE, you can get attacked and the enemy can be aggressed by the guards, you may become hostile too by accidente so try to keep your attacks well aimed so you dont get blue blocked, which is basically hit someone that is trying to make you free to hit)
7. skill based system (yo can spend some points at the start in your attributes, and can learn from books or practicing. but you're not limited to levels or by a class. so you are free to learn anything you want)
8. mounted combat (it can be done, both with melee weapons, ranged weapons and magic)
9. player built structures (player with subscriptions can build their own houses and guilds can build their own cities/fortresses)
10. sieges (look at 9.)
11. guilds (like in most MMOs, and there seem to be territorial control)
12. survival aspects (your character may have to sleep or rest regularly to regain strength. you have to eat and drink and may have to rely on the environment when in the wilderness)
13. no fast travel (as far as i've seen)

and much more i guess.

oh. the game is F2P with some limitations. you have limited character slots, cannot access to housing stuff and your skills are capped to lvl 60. whereas subbed characters can get into the maximum lvl for their skills. outside of that the rest of the content seem to be avaliable to everyone.

been playing the game the last two days. havent advanced much from one of the starting cities. but it seems i will take my time to get used to the system. right now i havent even figured out how to make a simple armor, but im getting a good amount of gold to start saving onto equipment. hope to not loose it once i put my foot outside.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mortal Online...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:33:38 am »

Game's been continuously broken since it's 2010 release and instead of prioritizing fixes, six years on they're adding more broken garbage nobody wants and running their tiny community forums like an AAA publisher who's forums only exist to serve marketing purposes, this post would get removed there. The result is most of the interesting community members are long gone.

After firing all their unpaid interns around 2011 the game's development took a sharp nosedive, it seems most of the talent was in that group rather than the remaining group. They've been wrestling with the spaghetti code aftermath ever since. I would only recommend this game to people who really want a mainly pvp game where they are willing to die and lose all their items/mounts/etc to bugs more often than to other players. But keep in mind the "free to play" is really just "unlimited free trial" you need to pay the monthly sub to play the game properly.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:21:17 pm »

i remember playing this a long time ago, but it was a broken mess like mattk50 said.
Game's been continuously broken since it's 2010 release and instead of prioritizing fixes, six years on they're adding more broken garbage nobody wants and running their tiny community forums like an AAA publisher who's forums only exist to serve marketing purposes, this post would get removed there. The result is most of the interesting community members are long gone.

After firing all their unpaid interns around 2011 the game's development took a sharp nosedive, it seems most of the talent was in that group rather than the remaining group. They've been wrestling with the spaghetti code aftermath ever since. I would only recommend this game to people who really want a mainly pvp game where they are willing to die and lose all their items/mounts/etc to bugs more often than to other players. But keep in mind the "free to play" is really just "unlimited free trial" you need to pay the monthly sub to play the game properly.
how recent is this? i remember playing like 3-5 years ago and it is pretty much just like you say. i played for like 2 days so im hoping that they made enough improvements for me to check it again..

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:02:32 pm »

I went to try the game again for a month 2 months ago before and after their recent patch and thats the experience my post was formulated on. There's new stuff, but the same percentage of the game is broken now as it was back then. If you describe all the issues and say the game is broken on the forums they'll reply with something like "oh but the server isn't crashing every 30 minutes now like it was first release day so its clearly an improvement!" 6 years, and thats what they have to show for it, i guess. I happen to know the server *was* crashing a ton during their steam release last year, so i guess their server crashing epidemic comes and goes in cycles.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:05:16 pm by Mattk50 »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:07:54 pm »

i dont like to bash on the bad stuff of the game most of the time so trying to give some more positive points

the most recent stuff in the game has been:

1. a new continent, its mostly desert and i havent got to explore it yet. but it seems interesting to travel and see whats there.

2. steam release (with some kind of revamp or something i dont remember)

3. they are working right now on the magic revamp. the first changes were for example give the player a basic magic book and a system in which you scribe new spells from scrolls into the book so you can memorize it. additional to that they worked/are working on the whole Etherworld thing (somekind of subworld that you reach via Spiritism or be dying).

i tried to get into the game some years ago too. i wasnt able to get past the character creator due to the memory leak problems the client had and my computer specs. but now that i've updated my computer and they have fixed some of that stuff i have been able to enter the world.

honestly, i dont really see the point in bashing the devs. they have received more than enough critics and bad reviews. but the game is quite enjoyable and i would like to see how long will it go until its closure. its not like im paying for it or something...

i specially want to see how the next magic schools will develop, spiritism seems like an interesting idea. but im more compelled for the possible necromantic/demonologist stuff.

this coming from a noob, i havent even got into any guild. and i think im gonna stay as a loner for now. i dont really mind loosing stuff because i keep my valuables in the bank anyways.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 05:15:46 pm »

A new, mostly empty continent that players only go to for gold grinding because of the uninteresting terrain. For reference, there are only 3 npc towns on it compared to the 10 on the mainland. Steam release was literally just a steam release and is only relevant because of the rapid influx and conflux of players that happened then. The "magic revamp" they're doing has only broken the magic hit detection system so far and added a bunch of ghost stuff that was literally the last position in player polls for requested features (funny, the continent they added was also the continent the least requested in the relevent poll, probably because an empty desert is boring and it was easiest to make.)

Im going to keep "bashing the devs" because its a fun way to get use out of the time i invested in the game, and because its nice for other people to know what they're getting into. Also i feel like i need to make up for the criticism removal the devs have attempted elsewhere. Since your new to the game i know you can't really respond properly so i'll just suggest anyone who tries this have fun with it, make sure you design your character using a forum guide or youll be stuck with a shitty character, and don't forget to get out of tindrem ASAP.

The game also has a massive issue with cheating, another issue they havent fixed since release...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:18:21 pm by Mattk50 »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 08:17:10 pm »

bumping this thing from the grave. a lot of stuff has been changed or added throught the last time i visited:

-Necromancy school added after Spiritism
-Devs are creating a new structure building system (not yet implemented, but there are videos)
-craftable tools for woodcutting and mining (no change in yield yet, only durability of the tool, time will tell)
-graves and shipwrecks you can check for loot (there's a new shovel tool for this, im not sure).
-new weapon and shield parts (just a few, there are more to come)
-new weather system (its crazy right now, and it goes throught buildings, but its something).

and minor fixes and that stuff...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 08:49:16 am »

Did they ever fix the dupes and bugs that let you run around in full high end armor/weapon without dropping it? Last time I played me and two other guys managed to down a pair of PKs who had been killing tons of people outside the city who were wearing top tier armor and weapons (I don't remember all the mats now, but the ones that were considered top of the line and really valuable - top notch metal stuff when most people were still wearing bone junk) and they just respawned right near where they died with full gear and came back and killed us before we could even get back into town.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link