Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minecart SCIENCE  (Read 6420 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart SCIENCE
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 04:58:39 pm »

FYI, tinypic.com doesn't require signing up for anything. I post things onto that since imgur doesn't show up on this forum.

Wut? Imgur shows up just fine. (But by all means use whatever you want.)

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 08:06:45 pm »

This is the version that I actually built. The cycle time is exactly 200 ticks. To make it easier to place triggers at the right times, I smoothed and engraved some of the walls along the track. One of the minecarts happened to not be visible at the moment I took this snapshot, it's on one of the ramp tiles. You can see two minecarts at the bottom on the right setup, which are waiting to be triggered. If you look on the left, another minecart is on a position just a couple tiles above a smoothed wall. That smoothed wall happens to indicate ticks 90 and 190 in the arbitrary function generator (for the righthand setup, it's tick 90; for the lefthand, it's tick 190). So the visible, moving minecart is on the position corresponding to tick 188 in the setup. Coincidentally, that's exactly where the pressure plate to trigger the other pair is located, so right at this moment the other pair is starting to move, and if I advanced a couple ticks they'd be on a different tile, accelerating on the ramps.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:08:24 pm by Kogan Onulsodel »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 05:29:50 am »

The more I work with minecarts the more I appreciate your solution. Having a circuit with easy to count delays is really beneficial, cuts down the mind-numbing single step counting you have to do otherwise. Even if custom solutions have smaller footprints.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »

Glad to hear it's been a help! I liked the idea of an arbitrary function generator, and sometimes I have plenty of space, and just don't want to have to take the time to carefully plan something optimal.
Pages: 1 [2]