Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28

Author Topic: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,  (Read 24530 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden Voyage of the HMS Gareth, RTD,
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2016, 07:44:03 am »

"Someone cut those ropes if you can reach them!"

(Hey man, allow Devan to over/underestimate his weapon. He's never used it against a ship before, and is excited by the prospect of seeing what it might do.)
((sure thing. Go for it))

That Bloody Cat hears this.

That Bloody Cat downright sprints onto the deck.
((I am quite curious to see That Bloody Cat in action))
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:45:58 am by Ozarck »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2016, 11:28:57 am »

"Sorry sir, I don't have a cutter! Sorry sir. That was a bad naval joke."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2016, 09:03:50 am »

Cove of the Piratical Bureaucrats
Devan fires a single shot at the nearest ship. He aims near the water-line but not below it, so that water may pour into the hole but the cannonball will not lose momentum. If he succeeds, the ship may very well begin to sink.

"I LOVE ME THE FEELING OF MURDERING SOME VAGABONDS."
Combat: 1

You manage to hit the side of the gigantic ship, but nowhere near the waterline. It creates a hole the size of somebody's head. The pirate ship measures maybe 70 feet long, with a deck twelve feet above the water. You begin to feel self-conscious about the size of your weapon.

Shoot those pulleys as directed by the captain!
Bluff: 2-1

You miss completely.

Check the assorted scraps and pages shoved inside the Schematics Journal, seeking a set of instructions related to the arcane to get us out of this mess.
Something... something... anything...
Techiness:4

You flip through the pages, scanning each one for something relevant, probably risking a little sanity in the process. Coming across a chapter on "the pulley and nautical advantage", you discover a schematic that would allow you to use a system of pulleys much like the one in place to propel a smaller vessel round a larger one in a circle, using the force acting on the larger one and thus slowing it. You just need to attach one end of a rope to the central part of the pirates' contraption, and the other to your ship, looping the rope round one or two parts of the contraption first. An idiot could probably manage that.

That Bloody Cat hears this.

That Bloody Cat downright sprints onto the deck.
Ready my weapon's and get ready to fight if nesscary.
You get out your candy knives, sticking one between your teeth for ease of access, which is probably the one thing they're good for. That Bloody Cat rushes up onto the deck, then begins sunning itself as nothing of interest is going on.

((there's an island? Past it's range, we are heading toward another beached ship? Oh, you mean we got inside it's range, got it. Eight grapples, and a volley of projectiles from the shore. gonna be tough.

Is our speed enough to make it difficult for those who have latched on to hold their lines? I would figure their ropes would jerk out of their hands, thouhg havingi them dragged along behind would be amusing, to say the least.))

"Steady as she goes, mates! Cat! prepare to repel boarders! they're coming now!the finest tuna our destination has to offer if we get out of this alive! Cannon! shoot those pulleys! don't let them launch! Everyone watch for arrows and other projectiles, we got incoming!"

Steady as she goes, Arc Desmond will keep her pointed on course, and do his best to keep the ship steady so the cannon can fire at the stuff the pirates are using to move the ship. He stands tall and proud at teh helm, because there is no sense in dying cowering behind the wheel.

Devan fires a single shot at the nearest ship. He aims near the water-line but not below it, so that water may pour into the hole but the cannonball will not lose momentum. If he succeeds, the ship may very well begin to sink.

"I LOVE ME THE FEELING OF MURDERING SOME VAGABONDS."
I believe we are currently dealing with one ship, which is beached and being put into the water via pulleys. I think it is armored beyond what a hand cannon might affect, but the archers lining the shore are another matter, and might be a better target for you.
The Gareth continues on its course, heading straight past the island

The first volley of crossbow bolts (contructed from the painful metal bits of office shelves) is fired at the Gareth.

Piratical Bureaucrats' Aim:1

It thuds harmlessly against the side and the portholes, possibly injuring a few peacocks. The pirates begin furiously reloading, now better able to gauge the distance.

The marauders with grapples swarm along the ropes, all eight of them making it to the side of the ship. They prepare to climb up it, but shelter under the curve of the bow for now, waiting for the next volley of arrows to pass over their heads, which will happen imminently.

Another dozen pirates with grapples emerge:

Grapplers: 5

Almost all hit their marks, and begin dragging themselves towards the your vessel along the grapple lines.

At the speed the Gareth is going, it will get past the pirate ship in time, but will be vulnerable to people leaping onto it from the higher deck.
One wheel short of a wagon

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2016, 09:09:32 am »

Peak my head out onto the deck and throw some candy knifes at my foes and then run back inside.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 02, 2016, 09:15:09 am »

Cobble together the contraption using the schematic, and bring some rope.
Just need some time... Captain, Weapons Officer, I have a plan!

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2016, 09:24:31 am »

Devan moves to assist and defend the first mate.

"Do it quick, you daft bastard!"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2016, 09:58:49 am »

Octavius points to the page.
This schematic, we'd just have to hook the rope to both ships. We can slow them down, and the way around, they could shield us from the crossbow fire. Just have to make it.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2016, 10:09:39 am »

Devan looks exasperated.

"How do we get the other end on THEIR ship?

SOMEONE would have to board.

I personally think the quartermaster ought to do it.
"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:27:39 am by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2016, 10:11:26 am »

"FUCK YOU! "

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2016, 10:13:09 am »

I'm not sure, perhaps, I don't know, fire it from a cannon?

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2016, 10:35:17 am »

"I doubt that'd work. It'd need to be in the center of the ship's mass to properly function.

I can't be the one to board. I know not how to swim.
"

Devan is of course lying. No idiot would join up as a crewman of a ship of they lacked swimming skills.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2016, 10:36:30 am »

"I can swim but I'm too big of a target. "

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2016, 10:58:25 am »

"Seeeee? The plan is PERFECT!"

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2016, 11:10:47 am »

"god why are you such a dick!"

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2016, 12:15:29 pm »

"This, coming from the child murdering fiend who attempted to sabotage my sleeping arrangements."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28