Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Why isn't Adventurer Mode the "main" Dwarf Fortress mode?  (Read 23473 times)

ercore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why isn't Adventurer Mode the "main" Dwarf Fortress mode?
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:40:11 am »

Hey everyone. I've been watching interviews of Tarn (that you can easily find on YouTube) and he often says somethings that I understand like that:
Adventurer mode was meant to be the "main mode", and Fortress mode was meant to be only a "preparation" to Adventurer mode.

The whole point was to make a fortress, watch its rise and fall, and then come back as an Adventurer an explore your old fortress, etc. Dwarf Fortress was more of a RPG than a "Colony maker" or whatever you call that.
It makes more sense to me since Bay12Games in general is more oriented (to my understanding) to RPG games in general. I mean thats their thing, look at Slaves to Armok I.

Am I making this is up? Or has Tarn changed his mind since those interviews (circa 2012~ I believe)?

cottontailcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't Adventurer Mode the "main" Dwarf Fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 02:48:12 am »

That sounds very familiar: I recall getting the impression that Fortress Mode just sort of... took on a life of its own and ran off. It turned out to be really popular.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 03:53:00 am »

doesn't seem to have changed his mind more so figured to build up both modes.
unless you mean the whole fort mode suppose to have a ruin fort for you to explore in adventure mode well that changed to
you have a living fort you can explore in adventure mode now that you can retire the site.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 06:01:39 am »

When everything's finished in the far, far future there won't be a 'main' mode, just lots of modes all fairly well integrated with each other allowing you to "take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games".

The forum will be somewhat like the Crusader Kings forums, fillled with people convinced that vampire elf tower play isn't right because the game's called 'dwarf fortress'.

ercore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:19:36 am »

A lot of people who know DF by name describe it as a "Fortress game", and I've even seen some players that didn't know about Adventurer mode. I can't wait to see what they are going to add (new modes/modules, etc...).

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 07:16:26 am »

I'm fairly sure it was mentioned that eventually fort and adventure mode will be integrated, so I don't think either really is the "main" mode. Fort mode just proved to be really popular, I'd wager partially because of succession fort games such as Boatmurdered.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:39:06 am »

Having played both, I think as they stand Fort mode has more detail, while adventure mode still feels more like a work in progress.

I've played both, but as bizarre as it feels to actually type this, I think I found fort mode more accessible.

I imagine that could easily change...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 12:19:09 pm »

Having played both, I think as they stand Fort mode has more detail, while adventure mode still feels more like a work in progress.

I've played both, but as bizarre as it feels to actually type this, I think I found fort mode more accessible.

I imagine that could easily change...

That's how it stands today. Toady has been mostly focusing upon making Adventurer mode something other than a completely pointless mode where you can run around and kill or get killed by wolves until you get bored or die for the past 6 or so years straight, putting more effort into Adventurer Mode than Fortress Mode ever since the Military and Hospital rewrite. 

Adventure mode used to be only vaguely playable when I started playing.  I mean, you COULD grab some gear and go around killing things, but that was about it.  Before there were proper procedural cities, there was literally nothing to do but go around murdering every living thing in the world before killing yourself.  Human cities were like 12 square-shaped houses with a couple people inside besides one tavern that had 12 people inside.

To answer the main question, it's because not only is Fortress Mode more advanced and developed now, it's been that way for the vast bulk of DF's history.  People hear about and come to play DF because of fortress mode, while Adventure Mode just plain isn't ready for prime time. 

Worse still, Adventure Mode just flat-out isn't unique the way that Fortress Mode is.  There are plenty of Roguelikes out there with brutal combat that targets specific limbs and the like, and those games tend to have far more advanced crafting, questing, and basically everything else systems.  The only thing DF has going for it is the world generation system, which is not quite advanced enough to really be a selling point all on its own just so you can walk through a procedural world.  Impressive, yes, but you can't hear stories of DF where people talk about procedural world history and want to play that game the way you can hear about people making supersonic minecarts or mermaid ranching factories.

So you get people who come for the Fortress Mode, and stay for the Fortress Mode.  Adventure Mode is currently a sideshow until it starts to really allow you to do something that a dozen other better-developed roguelikes don't already allow you to do.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »

DF's Adventure Mode is the only place where I can play as something I thought up and created. For me personally, fortress mode is a sideshow as I'm just not that kind of player. Rather have my custom adventuring creature build stuff, craft stuff and whatnot.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 02:22:38 pm »

This recent interview is pertinent:
Quote from: Toady
It [Adventure Mode] was always in the original plan. Armok, first of all, was a single-player, you were playing an adventure, one character, like a traditional RPG. The colony thing is the side note, even though it became the main part of the game, and we were writing this dwarf colony game. The idea from the first day on the dwarf colony game was that you’d make a dwarf colony, do some little industries and have dwarves writing little diaries or something, and then they die in some spectacular fashion, which still kind of happens, and then you’d bring an adventurer to find the ruins of this civilization, but it was, like, a high-score list thing. It was this little little game.

Your maximum high score would be how good your fortress was, and then what your adventurer managed to find fighting and exploring the ruins would be the actual high score you got, so you’d set a potential and then you realize it with your adventurer, and so the two games together produce a score.
Looking through the lens of someone who plays RPGs, it’s terrible, because you don’t feel like you’re inhabiting a person with an overarching life path or quest path. Not that you want to force a story down someone’s throat but just that you felt like you’ve changed the world.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 02:28:12 pm »

Looking through the lens of someone who plays RPGs, it’s terrible, because you don’t feel like you’re inhabiting a person with an overarching life path or quest path. Not that you want to force a story down someone’s throat but just that you felt like you’ve changed the world.

THIS! Exactly the main reason why I don't play fort mode!
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 05:46:37 pm »

snip

Dwarf fortress adventure mode has some great systems That arn't fully finished/fleshed out, the bard system is great and I have never seen such an advanced bard system in any other roguelike/RPG game for example.

What I think makes df adventure mode more unique then say, skyrim, is the fact that the world is quite literally alive as you play, there are actual wars happening in the background you can get involved with new sites being built and such. Its not fully there..(like titans arent wandering about destroying everything as they should, merchants dont move around yet)  But its getting there.

For example the monsters don't just sit in their lairs anymore, they actually wander about the world and do things, the bandits are actively robbing people in the streets the game doesn't just "tell" you they are and they can even mug you and you can watch them mug other people.

You can also join any faction regardless, want to be bandit, go ahead join them as a lieutenant,A performer you say? Join em.  that kind of thing. No plot restriction. And being stuck in a dungeon in say, nethack IS a plot restriction.

Like you said it isn't FULLY there, but it is definitely moving in the right direction.

But thats just my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:54:33 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

ercore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 06:51:15 pm »

I think since most people know DF from the Fort mode, they stay for that, and we can say there is a hell of a lot more Fort mode players out there. Which kinda "forces" Tarn to work mostly on the Fort mode, fixing bugs and stuff. I think (am I making this up?) he considers working on Adventurer mode a way of "chilling out" or changing his mind. I think I read that somewhere, or at least thats how I feel it

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 08:12:24 pm »

THIS! Exactly the main reason why I don't play fort mode!

Actually, Toady was talking about how ADVENTURE MODE is terrible for people who only play RPGs because it doesn't let you feel like you're inhabiting the life of a real person yet.

What I think makes df adventure mode more unique then say, skyrim, is the fact that the world is quite literally alive as you play, there are actual wars happening in the background you can get involved with new sites being built and such. Its not fully there..(like titans arent wandering about destroying everything as they should, merchants dont move around yet)  But its getting there.

For example the monsters don't just sit in their lairs anymore, they actually wander about the world and do things, the bandits are actively robbing people in the streets the game doesn't just "tell" you they are and they can even mug you and you can watch them mug other people.

You can also join any faction regardless, want to be bandit, go ahead join them as a lieutenant,A performer you say? Join em.  that kind of thing. No plot restriction. And being stuck in a dungeon in say, nethack IS a plot restriction.

Actually, though I was lacking in motivation to do so, I noted that it was entirely possible to actually do something like this through modding in Skyrim. There already were things like mines that were filled with undead, but if you cleared them out, miners would go back into them.  You could, with some work, fill the world with more NPCs, and have territory that you could gain or lose for cities, and tie the local economy to how many forests/mines/farms you had liberated...

Also, I mentioned this in the FotF thread, but you might want to look into Elona, which I find a really nutty but fun roguelike.  Elona's performer skill doesn't involve making up dance moves, but it can be quite funny, nonetheless. It has a total opposite sort of philosophy from Dwarf Fortress in that it proudly has zero sanity checks.  (You can play as a "male" golem, have a "male" robot ally that you romance, and produce children with... somehow. Virtually any creature in the game you can manage to take as an "ally", including skeletons, ghosts, robots, fire elementals, and various other inorganic creatures can also be put on a ranch in order to breed that species of monster, as well as produce eggs, milk, and manure. Again, including males, and also human mercenaries you hire.)

Anyway, as a sandbox, I still think Elona is a better game than the current iteration of Dwarf Fortress, because things might happen, but they have little to no meaning in the Gray Goo that DF tends to create at this point.  (I've mentioned before that I actually don't like killing vampires and such in adventure mode now, because that means there's one less actually unique and interesting character in the world...)

The main problem is that Adventure Mode right now lacks any sort of goal you can really set for yourself that has any sort of meaningful build-up, climax, and resolution.  In Elona, just because I'm already using that example, I have train-through-use skills that could not only take me tens of thousands of hours to ever reach "skill cap" after 2000 level ups, but skills gain experience on a "potential" system that multiplies exp, and is multiplied by 0.9 after every skill level up, requiring spending platinum coins, gained as quest rewards or at the bottom floor of dungeons, to replenish.  This incentivizes going for quests or dungeons as a way of multiplying skill gain, even with non-combat skills like performer or farmer because you need them to keep your skill gain growing at non-teeth-pullingly-slow levels. (Although there are performer quests and farmer quests like "Party Time!" (satisfy enough party-goers with perform skill before the time runs out) or "Harvest Time".) 

In Elona, I can also build up towards buying my own house, mansion, or castle, and rearrange the landscape as I see fit inside.  I can purchase shops, and sell my excess equipment inside if I leave an ally behind as a shopkeeper.  My allies level skills through training I can control, and there are people who defeat the "final boss" monster using nothing but the "Little Girl" npc you can recruit early in the game, trained up to monstrous strength.

In Dwarf Fortress, I can train my swimming by setting a macro to swim back and forth over and over until I get hungry and thirsty, eat, drink, sleep, and set it to go again until I hit legendary swimmer.  It takes 20 minutes of reading a book in the other room while the macro works its magic, or more if I'm less attentive.

I can go around killing things, but why?  The game has few enough points of interest as it is without murdering everything that makes a few patches of terrain interesting until it all becomes Gray Goo...  And it's not like killing things brings about anything of interest.  Yay, I get to spread rumors of my murderousness, and that invisibly raises some sort of respect meter (or fear meter, who knows?!) in a way that is never particularly well-expressed by the people around me.

I can conquer a city, but why? Nothing changes but an invisible ownership flag and the capacity to get followers that don't actually follow me.

I haven't played 0.42.x yet, so I haven't done bard things, but I can't say that playing just to make my own band creates any such long-term goals or verisimilitude. I can make up my own song, yay, but it's meaningless procedural word placement without any sort of capacity to have that new song interact with the world in a meaningful way. 

Even if we had a system to make it possible to buy low and sell high at this point, would it matter?  There's nothing to buy with money in this game. Nobody sells anything you could want besides food, which is generally available in overabundant quantities free for the taking.

So, yes, I've played as an adventurer, but all I've done is be a tourist in a city, looking around the placement of buildings (and most of the time, they were abandoned buildings taken over by tables...)

Eventually, there will be a procedural world robust enough, and with things like mansions you can buy and decorate that would make it worth playing to me... although when I'm playing as a property manager and trader, then I'm honestly more playing Fortress Mode in a slower version than it's current state than an "Adventurer".

All of this hinges upon being able to set up meaningful AI reactions to a far broader range of inputs than currently exist and procedural conversations, which would be of benefit to either mode.  Toady does many things well, but AI is one of his weak points, and I fear it will be many years yet before it really gets polished enough to shine.

Until then, I'm playing fortress mode, because I can set real long-term goals for myself in fortress mode, and there are no meaningful impacts I can have upon the world in the current version of adventurer mode that keep me playing.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 08:17:01 pm »

So you get people who come for the Fortress Mode, and stay for the Fortress Mode.  Adventure Mode is currently a sideshow until it starts to really allow you to do something that a dozen other better-developed roguelikes don't already allow you to do.
No other roguelike lets you interact with fort mode, they don't have the same depth of procedural craziness, and I always point out how interesting the procedural history winds up being to interact with. Some of the more fascinating stories developed from it too, the little kidnapped girl who wound up leading a goblin civ in siege after siege against her home. The elf king of dwarves.

The creepy ass town I found with 10,000 dwarves and an entirely abandoned city, where everyone lived on the fortifications around the walls and keep, and everyone migrated in to the keep itself when I arrived. Then upon checking legends I learned that every single year they held a festival and retold the same story of one guy getting killed by a dragon or something years and years ago, and they did this for centuries.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5