Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Why isn't Adventurer Mode the "main" Dwarf Fortress mode?  (Read 23433 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't Adventurer Mode the "main" Dwarf Fortress mode?
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2016, 04:06:17 am »

It do. First thing I tried. The job appears on the jobs list but stays inactive.
I probably misremember that painted Dumpings across a landscape with constructed walls/floors don't block the deconatruction, but result in auto-dumped (in the non-DFHack sense, unless you use that too!) materials that don't get taken up for any job other than the dumping (with appropriate zone) and then becoming Forbidden dumped items, until you deal with that.

You likely have a dumping ground also not handy (or in pit-form, with a too distant or even magma-filled bottom end) or I'd suggest a local dumping ground as a compromse solution.

(Like I put, originally, I just smooth the spots for furniture before the furniture ever gets placed...  Far less trouble, and I can paint the whole room once I definitely have the dwarfpower to spare.)

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2016, 04:20:16 am »

Disable furniture stockpile? permanently if you ask me.

Small stockpile with wheelbarrow near forges.. but doing that you could easily have magma upstairs

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2016, 06:41:33 am »

I probably misremember that painted Dumpings across a landscape with constructed walls/floors don't block the deconatruction, but result in auto-dumped (in the non-DFHack sense, unless you use that too!) materials that don't get taken up for any job other than the dumping (with appropriate zone) and then becoming Forbidden dumped items, until you deal with that.

You likely have a dumping ground also not handy (or in pit-form, with a too distant or even magma-filled bottom end) or I'd suggest a local dumping ground as a compromse solution.
That could work. Set up a local one and just avoid dumping any trash in the meanwhile. (There's a minecart separating the main dump zone from the magma, which only accepts refuse items. The furniture could be subject to refuse stockpile wear, though.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2016, 05:26:38 pm »

Fortress mode appears to have taken over the adventurer thread.
It was inevitable. :)

heyomif

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2016, 05:30:20 pm »

Since it was talked about before, which other games would you recommend that has similarities to adventure mode combat and world interaction? The closest thing i know of is Unreal World.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2016, 08:49:19 am »

Since it was talked about before, which other games would you recommend that has similarities to adventure mode combat and world interaction? The closest thing i know of is Unreal World.

Kotaku was talking about elona, real in depth game. However the closest game to df adventure mode so far is probabbly IVAN.

(Yes, "untrustedlife gestures, the thread shutters and moves"
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2016, 09:45:49 am »

Full disclosure: I really prefer Fortress mode. I like to manage, build and develop. It's stimulating to turn a patch of rock into a sprawling, vomit-stinking anthill. Plus, I like Dwarves. I remember walking around the forest as a kid, and imagining Dwarves at work, hidden behind the rock faces. And Fortress mode gives an experience that no other game like it does. It just suits me so well. There probably isn't a roguelike RPG that does what DF Adventure Mode does, but there definately isn't a settlement management game that does what DF do.

My RPG demands just aren't that big. I mean, Skyrim is barely an RPG, and that was well enough for me after some fiddling. Adventure mode is fun, there is a lot you can do and a lot of emergent little tasks. But if the game was just Adventure Mode, I don't think I would be playing. At least not at this point. It doesn't stimulate me as much as Fort Mode.

However, I just don't think that either of the modes are the "true" mode that deserves more effort. I think they fit nicely together, and that they should be developed as two parts of a whole. One shouldn't eclipse and swallow the other.
As much as I like my d0rfs, I'm hoping for an update where you can Fortress Mode any race, like in Adventure Mode. A mighty Lion Man kraal? An Elephant Man temple city in the jungle? An underwater Merfolk city? Yes, please!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2016, 09:49:16 am »

As much as I like my d0rfs, I'm hoping for an update where you can Fortress Mode any race, like in Adventure Mode. A mighty Lion Man kraal? An Elephant Man temple city in the jungle? An underwater Merfolk city? Yes, please!

Wouldn't it be kind of cool if in fort mode you could have outsider entities? for one thing, Masterwork hermit mode could be a little better.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2016, 10:44:03 am »

I guess the main part of this thread is several months old, but I enjoyed reading it.  My biggest problem with Adventure mode is that it's so hard to find "Let's Play" videos from skilled players who can showcase the role playing and story telling that is possible with the mode.  When I first played adventure mode, I had absolutely no idea what to do.  I just wandered aimlessly, eventually getting knocked unconscious by random wildlife.  Recently I got inspired by watching a "Let's Play" of fortress mode where the person temporarily retired his fortress in order to scout out a nearby tower.  This blew my mind with the possibilities.  Instead of building a very introspective fortress on a tiny plot of land and cursing that the goblins seem to have chosen to attack some other fortress, you can actually interact with the world.  Someone was posting the other day in the fortress forum about some human diplomat who must be a vampire... or their guard is a vampire, but they can't figure out which.  But you can adventure and learn about the world (e.g., as mentioned, through story telling).  And again as someone has illustrated in this thread, suddenly the game is not a game, but an epic.  Adventure mode has a point other than wandering up to goblins and extracting their teeth.

The thing is, I don't know how far you can take this yet.  I've been experimenting, but it's slow going.  I was gutted to notice the eternally sleeping army bug, for instance. But I still think there is huge potential.  I'm really encouraged by the things being discussed in this thread, but I wish there was more information available.  If anyone has any suggestions for places to look for getting better and engaging the story-telling/role playing aspects of adventure mode, I would be very grateful.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2016, 09:12:05 pm »

I guess the main part of this thread is several months old, but I enjoyed reading it.  My biggest problem with Adventure mode is that it's so hard to find "Let's Play" videos from skilled players who can showcase the role playing and story telling that is possible with the mode.  When I first played adventure mode, I had absolutely no idea what to do.  I just wandered aimlessly, eventually getting knocked unconscious by random wildlife.  Recently I got inspired by watching a "Let's Play" of fortress mode where the person temporarily retired his fortress in order to scout out a nearby tower.  This blew my mind with the possibilities.  Instead of building a very introspective fortress on a tiny plot of land and cursing that the goblins seem to have chosen to attack some other fortress, you can actually interact with the world.  Someone was posting the other day in the fortress forum about some human diplomat who must be a vampire... or their guard is a vampire, but they can't figure out which.  But you can adventure and learn about the world (e.g., as mentioned, through story telling).  And again as someone has illustrated in this thread, suddenly the game is not a game, but an epic.  Adventure mode has a point other than wandering up to goblins and extracting their teeth.

The thing is, I don't know how far you can take this yet.  I've been experimenting, but it's slow going.  I was gutted to notice the eternally sleeping army bug, for instance. But I still think there is huge potential.  I'm really encouraged by the things being discussed in this thread, but I wish there was more information available.  If anyone has any suggestions for places to look for getting better and engaging the story-telling/role playing aspects of adventure mode, I would be very grateful.

Everyonelovespirates is quite skilled at it. I on the other hand just learned from playing on my own, now I only rarely play fortress mode and tend to play adventure mode, there is so much to do and so much to see, you just have to have a world that has a impressively long history.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]