Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Rogue Survivor Revived  (Read 27426 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Survivor Revived
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2017, 03:37:10 am »

Are there any settings I can change to speed up the game? I've had to take to playing the original final release of Rogue Survivor, because it can take up to 30 seconds to move a single tile.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2017, 07:43:56 am »

I plausibly shouldn't have pulled the last previous stable release then (0.9.8): reuploaded.  Unfortunately I had to make most of the simulation options ineffective/gone as having PCs in more than one district is almost completely incompatible with them.

The problem is the police district sweeping AI (see that increase of 30MB in savefile size at turn 0?  99% of that is police threat tracking.).  Note that my test game is 5x5 50x50 districts; I don't know how fast things go downhill as either district count or district size increase, but if you're using a larger map than my test game that's something to consider.

The development machine is taking about 90 seconds to load a turn-zero savegame, which drops down to about 70 seconds by turn 90.  It's only experiencing 5 seconds of delay at turn 0, and barely 2 seconds at turn 90.  The game is expected to slow down at the midnight invasion.

The development machine is a 6 year-old off-brand tower system; I intentionally went with a slow CPU (i5-2320, 3GHz) in order to get 16GB of RAM.  The development machine's paging file is disabled as a speed enhancement.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2017, 03:26:11 am »

Will be asking around, working search engines, etc.  If I don't get a lead quickly I'll have to cut a patch release rather than try to fix this; I don't think blind micro-optimization will do anything useful here.

The next best chance of getting a speed improvement is getting the Microsoft profiler to give usable information.  (Right now, it's saying the AI-specific code is ~1% of the run time, which is not credible.  If you suppress the 76% of the profiling that is waiting for keyboard input, that's ~4% which is equally not credible.  Introducing the police sweeping AI added ~2-4 seconds i.e. 200% increase of delay on the development machine, so it's got to have a substantial overhead.)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2017, 11:00:08 pm »

Code: [Select]
REVIVED 0.9.9.1 CHANGES
------------------
* CivilianAI/GangAI no longer hoard canned food
* hard crash in release-mode melee behavior fixed
* going to bed had pathing difficulties.
Estimates of the cleanest fix behind developer-untestable performance issues, reported on Bay12 and Reddit, are not in yet.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2017, 04:55:28 pm »

REVIVED 0.9.9.2 CHANGES
------------------
* Self-defense when killing a cop, or a follower of a cop, will not prevent murder charges.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2017, 12:24:17 pm »

REVIVED 0.9.9.3 CHANGES
------------------
* hard crash in release mode fixed

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2017, 12:32:20 pm »

REVIVED 0.9.9.4 CHANGES
* off-by-one offset error in displaying item counts fixed (e.g., 10 looked like 1)
* getting partial item stacks from containers should work reliably now.
* In spite of critically misleading profiling, it does appear that the speed issues in 0.9.9 onwards were from
  stacking enhanced pathfinding on top of disallowing districts to wildly diverge in game time.  A mitigation has
  gone in, but anyone relying on letting other districts get 20+ turns behind will have to play 0.9.8 .

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2017, 11:55:43 am »

Do the people trying to revive revived have an end goal in mind? It feels like the game will just die out again if it doesn't have something unique to it.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2017, 03:59:16 am »

The 0.9.9.x series is only taking bugfixes that can be cherry-picked from 0.10.0.0 unstable.

The next scheduled major version is 0.10.0.0 .  It is nowhere near ready for release.  The most performance-debilitating feature (cross-district visibility and combat) is mostly landed for the player, but not the AI.  Also, this is when I have to do all of the savefile format and level generation changes, such as the police station tuneup.

As for vision ... well, right now that's vaporware because the living AI is so "not there".  I'm not comfortable adding new features that are player-only.  (I would like different/better "do everything conditions" such as "restart the industrial district" but I'd actually have to have test games that do most of what's in the game currently, and that needs "safe multi-move designation"...very tough UI design problem, I don't have a clue yet.)

If you want new features now, I'd recommend Staying Alive, a sibling of Rogue Survivor Revived.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:17:39 am by zaimoni »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2017, 03:04:04 am »

REVIVED 0.9.9.5 CHANGES
* NPC speech restored.
* bump to chat crash bug fixed
* some redraws added -- should have much more immediate feedback that you have moved/rested/recharged.
  There are most likely additional coverage holes (that is, won't guarantee that all times lag is happening
  that your displayed energy level is 0 or less).

We also have a new unstable release.  Unstable is laggy even on the development machine (3-4 seconds/turn with debug build is typical, and I did see a few instances of 5 seconds/turn.  ZIP is release build, 2x-3x faster than debug build in early game).

REVIVED 0.10.0 CHANGES
------------------
* names better matched to stereotypical English gender
* key configuration files are not backward compatible.
* even more AI overhaul.
* Closing the door behind you is now a free action.
* map generation radically altered.
** survivalist weapon caches more usable (ammo is matched to ranged weapons in cache)
* It is rarely possible to see where a living is planning to move next.  (If you are about to shove him, you will see this.)
* player-player trading is now possible.  A similar implementation is used for player-NPC trading (no more roulette, if the target doesn't
  want to give up anything you want, you will know immediately)
* new (stub) command: Faction Info (default Shift-Ctrl-I).  See the main manual for details.
* Items will survive better if the method of death isn't particularly destructive to them.  (A slightly weaker version
  of the change in Still Alive).
** the historical resistance of food and ammo to destruction has been retained.  Armor will survive better
   if the method of death is non-violent.  Other items will survive better if they aren't exposed to zombification.
* The surface maps and sewer maps have lost their peace walls. For example, you can
** see across district boundaries (so does your minimap)
** throw grenades across district boundaries
** fire at targets across district boundaries, etc.
** Unfortunately, the AI is just as unimpaired as you.

Note that one achievement is much easier in unstable-20171112 than 0.9.9.5: powering up the CHAR Underground base.  Once that is no longer secret, the police will try to clear it for you -- and they do know how to turn on generators.  (They also will strip the base bare of anything they're interested in.)  This is a material change from RS Alpha 9; not "planned" (I was testing a realism change with intent to back out if not "fun") but ties in nicely with the vaporware police storyline.

unstable-20171112 is known to have extreme problems with supplies in general (all stores will be stripped by the end of day 2 or so; again, problem is police.  They do make hiding near the center of a district much more practical, but anything they leave behind is either not that important, or an AI defect.)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2018, 07:47:17 pm »

New unstable release, March 25 2018.  I got some technical assistance from Roguedjack; he identified both the load time hog (banished), and a build target dependency affecting the opening screen speed.  If you were having speed problems before, please advise whether, and which of, RogueSurvivor-x64.exe and RogueSurvivor-x86.exe , play faster.

RogueSurvivor-x86.exe tests about 5x as fast on the opening screen on the development machine, as the other two builds.  (Note: x64 will die on 32-bit processors.  Both x64 and x68 will die on hardware insufficiently like Intel (AMD should be fine).  Use the any-processor RogueSurvivor.exe elsewhere.]

The cumulative changes since the creation of the stable branch are:
REVIVED 0.10.0 CHANGES
------------------
* names better matched to stereotypical English gender
* key configuration files are not backward compatible.
* even more AI overhaul.
* Closing the door behind you is now a free action.
* map generation radically altered.
** survivalist weapon caches more usable (ammo is matched to ranged weapons in cache)
* It is rarely possible to see where a living is planning to move next.  (If you are about to shove him, you will see this.)
* player-player trading is now possible.  A similar implementation is used for player-NPC trading (no more roulette, if the target doesn't
  want to give up anything you want, you will know immediately)
* new (stub) command: Faction Info (default Shift-Ctrl-I).  See the main manual for details.
* new (stub) command: Set Waypoint (default Alt-Shift-I).  Use this to far-look (move the viewpoint without actually moving).
  See the main manual for details.
* Items will survive better if the method of death isn't particularly destructive to them.  (A slightly weaker version
  of the change in Still Alive).
** the historical resistance of food and ammo to destruction has been retained.  Armor will survive better
   if the method of death is non-violent.  Other items will survive better if they aren't exposed to zombification.
* The surface maps and sewer maps have lost their peace walls. For example, you can
** see across district boundaries (so does your minimap)
** throw grenades across district boundaries
** fire at targets across district boundaries, etc.
** Unfortunately, the AI is just as unimpaired as you.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:57:18 pm by zaimoni »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2019, 12:24:14 am »

New unstable release: May 31, 2019 June 1, 2019.  The test game backing this release was pushed to Day 6 Hour 10.

The newer development machine's CPU loading per turn is in the 5-15 second range, but usually below ten seconds.  (It is only 14 months old, and noticeably slower
than it's near-dead 9-year-old predecessor.)

Commands of note:
  • The self-order command (CTRL-SHIFT-O).  If we can agree how a task that isn't here should work, it can land in the next release.
  • R)un and W)alk, accessible from the Waypoint command (ALT-SHIFT-I).  These use the same pathfinding as the AI (and thus cooperates better with AI). If you are controlling a civilian, you even get the close door behind me behavior during these commands.

R)un is not quite as good as manual control at long ranges.  Both commands have the notable defect that they do not yet allow for a maximum turn/step count (e.g., if you want to run for ten turns towards the subway entrance 40 steps away, that is not yet supported).  If R)un or W)alk stop early, look around -- either the game thinks you're "in combat" (you may disagree) or there is someone who would do an ai-ai trade with you in sight.  In the latter case, hover over the would-be trader to get what they want and what they offer.  (They likely would take "more important things" if offered.)
  • Item memory (SHIFT-I).  Tells you where you last saw something.  R)un and W)alk commands work here as well, with the same limitations.  Currently available only to players and police (and if you become a cop you get their item memory).

Unstable releases before the glacial August 18/20 2018 release have been removed.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 09:31:34 pm by zaimoni »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2020, 09:04:23 pm »

New unstable release: Feburary 19, 2020.  This removes an infinite loop risk in subway network generation, but does include several savefile breaking commits.

CPU/turn is still too high to schedule building out the encircling highway.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2020, 03:26:12 pm »

There's going to be a commit stall for an unspecified time (hopefully only a few days): need to pre-calculate a change plan for savefile-breaking changes.  At least one of the following will be scheduled:
  • CPU/turn is somewhere below 15 seconds/turn through Day 1 hour 12 consistently, for the reference test game.  That's not "low enough" to comfortably introduce the encircling highway, but I have no clear way forward to reduce CPU/turn further while maintaining full cross-district pathing.  This highway is "borderline" (final version will have gas stations [pulled from Staying Alive], but it still is in the pre-apocalypse broadcast power zone)
  • The member function changes needed to support binding container inventories, to containers, has landed.  The actual binding hasn't been committed yet.  (I.e., pushing that store shelf doesn't leave behind what's on it.)
  • I'd like items on tables and chairs to be "reachable" when adjacent, rather than having to jump on them to access.  (This is a radical player UI change; not so radical for ai.  The bump move heuristics check for jumpable object before container object.)
  • I'd like to route worn armor to its own physical slot, rather than eating a slot in the hammerspace inventory.  (Implications: armor remains on the corpse, and thus can be accidentally worn by unevolved zombified humans.  It is extremely unlikely to survive the upgrade.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2020, 03:30:04 pm »

Very neat, I couldn't get this to run some months ago when I last tried, but I'll give it another shot on this next update.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9