Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Rogue Survivor Revived  (Read 27421 times)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Survivor Revived
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 03:44:54 am »

Yes ;)  The last prior "stable" alpha release was 2012.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 08:24:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 12:15:47 pm »

i wouldnt call this revived. Id call it someone decompiled the code. lets see if there is enthusiasm to work on this.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 05:19:53 pm »

Trying RC 4 now
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Unknown11010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 08:22:56 pm »

Wow, I remember finding out about this game when there used to be so few survival games. Hoping to see something good out of this

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 12:13:21 am »

RC 5 out, to make flashlight/tracker recharging work as advertised in RC 1.  If there are no easy-to-fix problems reported within the next week or so, this will become a proper release.

Savefiles should be 100% compatible between RC 4 and RC 5.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 01:03:38 pm »

PTW. From the RS forums it looks like you've got a good shot at something great here.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 01:14:46 pm »

I'm happy to see the trading is fixed!

Any tips on how to actually do well as a Zombie? Enemies seem to perfectly kite you if they are faster. The only time I've had a proper killing spree (ie. 27 people) was by happening upon two starving, incredibly sleepy civilians in a corner and eating them, quickly making me a Neophyte. From there on you can 1v1 most survivors and quickly get to Disciple, who can basically kill anything 1v1 that's not a National Guard or a BlackOps.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 05:36:52 pm »

Right, speed advantage is not easy to overcome.  I haven't specifically tried, but I think heading straight for the sewers (or other cover) is essential in most starts.  Now that cops don't trade away their weapons/ammo, some districts will be surface-cleared by dawn on day 0 and most by noon.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 07:35:07 pm »

Right, speed advantage is not easy to overcome.  I haven't specifically tried, but I think heading straight for the sewers (or other cover) is essential in most starts.  Now that cops don't trade away their weapons/ammo, some districts will be surface-cleared by dawn on day 0 and most by noon.

Are you developing this, Zaimoni? If so, could I suggest a thing or two? :)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:39 pm »

Yes, the source code for Rogue Survivor Revived is hosted under my login.  Suggestions welcome, although whether they'll get acted on is not predictable without seeing them.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:45:14 pm by zaimoni »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 12:12:16 pm »

RC 6 has been released.  Savefiles are compatible; using the binary-only release to overwrite earlier versions with RC 6 should work.

Code: [Select]
Critical: multi-threaded crash bug on district change mitigated (or fixed).

Trading with the player should work more reasonably now (one of the legacy reduced reality checks for the player actually was needed)

The text description for expired and spoiled food should be correct now.  Icons and nutrition value were correct.

EDIT: Don't like your skill choices?  Get wiser ones.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:59:11 pm by zaimoni »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 02:57:37 am »

I loved playing this game. Took another shot at it and was reminded of all it's problems.

- AI reacts differently to undead players than to undead AI.

- The most effective strategy seems to be to do nothing but find a shop district and hoard everything and wait for weeks in a barricaded store.

- Not enough progress for undead. Level up twice and then wait to die to a soldier.

- Nothing to accomplish. The hospital and police department are cool but they don't do anything other than give you something to almost die to. It needs some sort of end game.

- and this last one I'm unsure of, but it seems that if someone is hungry, they will only ever ask the player if they have food.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 09:32:21 am »

I don't expect any of the fundamental gameplay design issues to be dealt with quickly, or in this release series.  My current focus has been to stabilize the game, and make technical micro-optimizations to what is already there.

Even tiny new features, and the more radical technical changes, are going to have to wait until savefile breaking is reasonable (one week after last RC in this series is released).

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 10:35:32 am »

I loved playing this game. Took another shot at it and was reminded of all it's problems.

- AI reacts differently to undead players than to undead AI.

- Not enough progress for undead. Level up twice and then wait to die to a soldier.

These two seem like they could be easily dealt with - the first one by making the AI files treat an player character and an undead the same, the second by just adding extra levels to the list (i.e. Z-Strong caps at level 5 instead of 2?)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9