Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sauna anyone?  (Read 1526 times)

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sauna anyone?
« on: April 20, 2016, 05:46:25 pm »

It shouldn´t be so hard to get water mist provoked happy thoughts to your dwarves. All it takes is a closed room, some hot stones and water, right?
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Sauna anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:42:36 pm »

How are you going to get hot stones? (I mean besides the obvious magma.)

The good thought from mist actually specifies a waterfall.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:52:44 pm »

well just a little fire would suffice to heat stones, wouldnt it? kitchens can cook even without magma access, so I assume dwarves knows the misteries of fire
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:37:08 pm »

No, they make food by mincing it.

Wood ovens use globs of magma made by rocks and beards and pieces of duck roast.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:47 am »

No, they make food by mincing it.

Wood ovens use globs of magma made by rocks and beards and pieces of duck roast.
crafty little bastards!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:25:46 pm »

well just a little fire would suffice to heat stones, wouldnt it? kitchens can cook even without magma access, so I assume dwarves knows the misteries of fire
There is no "little fire" in dwarf fortress. There is only !!!FIRE!!!

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 09:48:56 am »

I see what you did there.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 10:37:47 am »

Alternate methods for bathing would be nice, yes. Right now, we have cleaning at a well with soap. This doesn't always work succesfully, especially with containment duplication on, so many players also implement a 3/7 filled ditch where they force dwarves to walk through.

You could build a 'stove' which then can define a sauna/banya/hammam/thermea room of sorts, and your dwarves sit there and sweat it out for a bit. Use charcoal to run it for a month if you are insistent on making it consume resources.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 11:39:15 am »

Maybe actually just build a firepile underneath the floor where you want a sauna. With a firepile you could do so many other things too...

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »

Sauna Zone: Requires chairs, water buckets/barrels, fuel stockpile (or magma), and constructed firepit/oven thing.

OR, to make do with less:

Sauna Workshop or Magma Sauna Workshop.  Requires fuel / magma and water bucket.  Single Dwarf Usage.

Kuschelflummi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Nekos Geschichtenkörbchen
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 08:27:09 am »

Sauna Workshop or Magma Sauna Workshop.  Requires fuel / magma and water bucket.  Single Dwarf Usage.

Oh great! Then every Dorf will want one in his / her room XD

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 05:22:24 pm »

Oh great! Then every Dorf will want one in his / her room XD
:D Well I know my dwarves do deserve something like that! Just a sexy hot bath with its companion after a hard day of work

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 09:40:15 pm »

Actually, I think that mist makes them happy because mist is cool.

Think of the dorfs! Toiling away in the mines all day, smithing and forging and melting, chipping away at stone, sweat dripping of their foreheads.

What do they want? A sweaty sauna - or a cool, refreshing ale as they sit in the mists of a waterfall?

Obviously the latter.

=======

Dwarves have evolved to be warm, since they frequently live in cold places. (underground, tundra, etc.). So they don't particularly want saunas. Would the Abominable Snowman want a sauna? Probably not.
Sigtext!

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 05:32:20 am »

Sauna is good. They could help dwarves survive in the icy worlds and have many healthy benefits.
Yes, I'm gay.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 05:39:18 am »

Calcium oxide (AKA Quicklime) would be a viable heat source, just add water
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.
Pages: [1] 2