Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would be the most convenient release format for the LinuxDwarfPack?

Redhat RPM
Ubuntu SNAP
Debian DEB
Arch XZ
Docker
AppImage
Current tbz2
Other
Flatpak
Alpine

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: LinuxDwarfPack-0.47.05-r8 (with DFHack r8)  (Read 90721 times)

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
  • working on a mysterious construction
    • View Profile
    • LinuxDwarfPack - a ready-to-play pack for Linux
Re: LinuxDwarfPack-0.47.05-r3 (with DFHack r3)
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2022, 08:41:29 am »

I just noticed /opt/linux-dwarf-pack/df_47_05_linux/data was missing dir save. Tried to create it, didn't fix the problem.

Anyway. AppImage I didn't know how to fix with that problem, so I went with .deb next. As an aside: I had problems with Java packages trying to come from a groovy repository (with missing release files or something or other), which took me a while to get sorted. I think it might have been my apt repositories that were the problem but if it's something that's fixable on your end, it'd be great. So anyways, .deb didn't fix it, I went to the Python code, couldn't think of anything out of it, came here to cry and set up my own install.

Now the thing is. It's clearly something I messed up but also something that reinstalls won't fix. I don't think I messed much with anything other than removing the saves but then again, missing files would probably be something a reinstall would have fixed.

Alright, the problem may be your ~/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack.
This is how it works:
- the startup script /opt/linux-dwarf-pack/linux-dwarf-pack.sh creates a (temporary) overlay between files from /opt/linux-dwarf-pack and files from ~/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack. This mechanism allows a clean separation of read-only files (like binaries) and mutable files (like game saves, configuration files, ...). When the .deb package is updated or removed, binaries in /opt/linux-dwarf-pack are updated/removed, but the configuration files and game saves remain untouched in ~/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack.
- to verify that the problem comes from ~/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack, just move/backup this dir elsewhere and restart the game
- if the LNP interface starts up correctly this time, then you could reimport the game saves (from the backed-up dir) using the File menu

In your case I would recommend using the .deb package.
You shouldn't have to manually modify files in /opt/linux-dwarf-pack, and if you need to modify/sort/delete game saves, preferably do this:
- start the LNP interface
- use the menu Folder to open the temporary directory of the overlay
- modify your files from there ; modifications will be saved in ~/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack (you won't lose them when the interface is closed, even though the overlay directory is a temporary dir like /tmp/lnp-...)

Reititin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2022, 12:09:50 pm »

Yeah, that did it. Namely, I nuked the ~/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack directory entirely. Thanks!

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2022, 05:08:54 am »

Great!
Regarding the java problem, are there any missing  dependencies that prevent LegendsBrowser from running on your system?

Reititin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2022, 09:35:50 am »

Not anymore. The dependencies made me unable to run this package at all, but I'm sure they were for Legends Browser, yes.

I'm sorry, this is a part I'm the least knowledgeable about on Linux systems. So basically the repositories were missing a release file and therefore my system didn't want to download them. I applied my superior problem solving skills

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and it took me while to find something with "sed" and http://old-releases.ubuntu.com. This solved the problem for me.

Now I don't know if it was something on my system causing apt to look for the java package in a dated repository or if it was the linux-dwarf-pack -package pointing to a dated repository.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2022, 08:27:08 pm »

Here's tail /proc/version: Linux version 5.8.0-63-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-028) (gcc (Ubuntu 10.3.0-1ubuntu1~20.10) 10.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.35.1) #71-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 13 15:59:12 UTC 2021
Does that mean you're using Ubuntu 20.10? The output of "lsb_release -a" might be a bit easier to understand.

If so, then the problem is that Ubuntu 20.10 reached end-of-life almost 6 months ago (July 2021), which means that package updates are no longer available in the usual location. You would run into the same issue attempting to install/upgrade any package (although you can work around it by switching to old-releases, like you did).

My advice is to upgrade with do-release-upgrade at your earliest convenience. I believe that would bring you up to 21.04, which reaches end-of-life later this month, and you might not be able to upgrade to it easily beyond that point. From there, you should be able to upgrade to 21.10.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

javascripter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2022, 12:27:29 pm »

hello,

am trying to build on linux from scratch, getting an error that I have no idea the cause or any potential solutions:

[ERROR]      /sources/lnp-forge-0.47.05-r3/.build/src/dfhack-0.47.05-r3/plugins/twbt/config.hpp:580:77: error: taking address of rvalue [-fpermissive]
[ALL  ]        580 |                     static_cast<std::ostringstream*>(&(std::ostringstream() << idx))->str();

am building 64 bit version, looked at the menuconfig but didn't save anything

aside from the dependencies listed in the readme I also had to build help2man, rsync, and mercurial before the configuration was happy, so possibly i'm missing another dependency which is on most distributions but I am unaware of
also am using java 16, java 8 was having some problems which I think were from missing libraries, as I understand it isn't used for building anything so that shouldn't matter

put build.log here: https://pastebin.com/23vUT6Dm
not sure this is even a problem with this, since it occurs during the ninja install for dfhack, though the error is in some twbt files which confuses me

thanks for any help

EDIT: forgot I was going to ask about that Known issues.txt, looked a bit and wasn't able to find it
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 10:00:41 am by javascripter »

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2022, 04:37:31 pm »

[ERROR]      /sources/lnp-forge-0.47.05-r3/.build/src/dfhack-0.47.05-r3/plugins/twbt/config.hpp:580:77: error: taking address of rvalue [-fpermissive]
[ALL  ]        580 |                     static_cast<std::ostringstream*>(&(std::ostringstream() << idx))->str();
Hi,
See my reply on github for testing the build with option '-fpermissive'.
If it works we'll add a (temporary) patch for DFHack.
I've also fixed the README. Mercurial is no longer necessary and will be removed from 'configure.ac'

javascripter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2022, 12:18:21 pm »

replied in the github issue; not sure how I didn't manage to find that before posting here

is another problem, but I have a couple things to try, depending on result of that I'll open an issue in the github or put a reply here (or edit this reply if I get it working tonight)
EDIT: turns out I'm missing some x libraries (so far at least pango, gtk-pixbuf, and atk), I managed to find them listed in dwarf fortress dependencies (though failures are occuring when soundsense is building), but only now that I know what I'm looking for (in the freeBSD section, looks like these libraries come in any version of linux actually in use)
probably I should just install all the x libraries,

by the way, thanks for maintaining this package, it is nice to have relatively low effort way to get dfhack and dwarf therapist working
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 03:00:56 pm by javascripter »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2022, 04:13:37 pm »

Hi,
See my reply on github for testing the build with option '-fpermissive'.
If it works we'll add a (temporary) patch for DFHack.
I've also fixed the README. Mercurial is no longer necessary and will be removed from 'configure.ac'

This looks to me like an issue with TWBT and newer compilers. DFHack has already fixed a similar issue in this commit, so I suspect a similar code change could be made to TWBT.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

javascripter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2022, 02:44:35 pm »

so those three dependencies I was missing before were also dependnecies to gtk+-2; which is a dependency for dwarf fortress as well, I just missed it because I'm bad at reading dependency lists intended for package manager

also missing some soundsense dependencies, but managed to find the github page for that which has a dependency list

and by found I mean I finally remembered to grep build.log before running the build a second time

Nazgul203

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2022, 02:32:43 pm »

Hello,

I've been trying to get this to work on my Arch install, but am unable. I got it installed using pacman and made sure I had all dependencies. I opened the LNP launcher and that worked fine, I could also open it from the terminal using the .sh command. But whenever I tried to launch the game, nothing would happen. When I launch the LNP from the terminal then press Play Dwarf Fortress I get the message "nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'" which I've looked up but can't figure out how to fix. I would love to be able to use this pack. I use Konsole as my terminal, and when I press play it pops up for a split second.

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2022, 03:51:39 pm »

Would you have a copy of the log from the terminal?
(the message "nohup: ignoring input..." is a harmless warning)

Nazgul203

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2022, 11:30:14 am »

Would you have a copy of the log from the terminal?
(the message "nohup: ignoring input..." is a harmless warning)

The terminal pops up for a split second and then disappears, from what I see it isn't saying anything. However, when I launch the pack from the terminal and attempt to play, it says:

Starting LinuxDwarfPack
- configuration and game saves are stored in /home/connorm/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack
- feedback or issues? see http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157712
- created with lnp-forge: https://github.com/McArcady/lnp-forge

Creating overlay of /home/connorm/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack and /opt/linux-dwarf-pack in /tmp/lnp-cIqLnw...
WARNING: Field PRIESTHOOD_UNIT_COUNTS seems to be missing from file ./df_47_05_linux/data/init/d_init.txt!
WARNING: Field GUILD_UNIT_COUNTS seems to be missing from file ./df_47_05_linux/data/init/d_init.txt!
INFO: Read installed graphics (CLA) from log
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'

And then the terminal that it launches opens and closes, but the terminal that I ran the .sh from stays open.

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2022, 04:01:34 pm »

Creating overlay of /home/connorm/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack and /opt/linux-dwarf-pack in /tmp/lnp-cIqLnw...
WARNING: Field PRIESTHOOD_UNIT_COUNTS seems to be missing from file ./df_47_05_linux/data/init/d_init.txt!
WARNING: Field GUILD_UNIT_COUNTS seems to be missing from file ./df_47_05_linux/data/init/d_init.txt!
INFO: Read installed graphics (CLA) from log
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'

Try this:
Code: [Select]
$ mv /home/connorm/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack/df_47_05_linux/data/init/d_init.txt /home/connorm/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack/df_47_05_linux/data/init/d_init.txt.bakthen start the LNP again.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 02, 2022, 12:16:01 pm »

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I've found that when I close the launcher, DFHack stops recognizing some of the scripts (quicksave and gui/dfstatus at least, and not tiletypes, haven't done extensive testing). Is there a way to prevent that, or do I just have to keep the launcher open while I'm playing?

Thanks!
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14