Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would be the most convenient release format for the LinuxDwarfPack?

Redhat RPM
Ubuntu SNAP
Debian DEB
Arch XZ
Docker
AppImage
Current tbz2
Other
Flatpak
Alpine

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: LinuxDwarfPack-0.47.05-r8 (with DFHack r8)  (Read 90014 times)

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxDwarfPack-0.47.05-r3 (with DFHack r3)
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2022, 02:22:52 pm »

When you say that DFHack stops recognizing the scripts, does that mean you get an error message from DFHack when you try to run them? What error message do you get?

Closing the launcher after starting DFHack and DF shouldn't make a difference. They're completely separate programs.

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
  • working on a mysterious construction
    • View Profile
    • LinuxDwarfPack - a ready-to-play pack for Linux
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2022, 04:32:43 pm »

Closing the launcher after starting DFHack and DF shouldn't make a difference. They're completely separate programs.
It probably does because the temp directory where are merged the binaries (from /opt/linux-dwarf-pack/) and config files (from ~/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack) is unmounted when the launcher is closed.
The DF/DFHack process stills lives but its base directory has been unmounted.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2022, 09:09:25 pm »

It probably does because the temp directory where are merged the binaries (from /opt/linux-dwarf-pack/) and config files (from ~/.local/share/linux-dwarf-pack) is unmounted when the launcher is closed.
Which launcher does this? I don't remember this being a PyLNP feature. Do you have an extra wrapper around PyLNP?

I don't think any program can reasonably be expected to function if its data files are unmounted from under it. Could the launcher keep track of the subprocesses that it launches and delay unmounting until they exit?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2022, 05:51:44 am »

Which launcher does this? I don't remember this being a PyLNP feature. Do you have an extra wrapper around PyLNP?
I don't think any program can reasonably be expected to function if its data files are unmounted from under it. Could the launcher keep track of the subprocesses that it launches and delay unmounting until they exit?
Yes, the LinuxDwarf Pack provides a wrapper-script around PyLNP, that mounts and run everything from a temporary filesystem (unionfs) in /tmp/lnp-XXXXXX. It is intended to keep binaries and data/config files in separate directories.
As a consequence, PyLNP is not supposed to be stopped while DFHack and the game are running. I don't see any easy way to remove this constraint.

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxDwarfPack-0.47.05-r5 (with DFHack r5)
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2022, 11:32:54 am »

The LinuxDwarfPack has been updated to include DFHack 0.47.05-r5 and LegendsBrowser 2.

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxDwarfPack-0.47.05-r5 (with DFHack r5)
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2022, 07:59:33 am »

The LinuxDwarfPack has been updated to include DFHack 0.47.05-r5 and LegendsBrowser 2.
release r6

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxDwarfPack-0.47.05-r6 (with DFHack r6)
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2022, 02:56:56 am »

Oh my god, thank you so much for this.  I'm currently restricted to using a Chromebook, which means no .exe files, and I have to use their proprietary Linux called Crostini, which thankfully is *mostly* compatible with Debian stuff so I was able to install this without issue.

However, I'm unable to get LNP to launch DF, specifically DF hack, because I can't configure a command terminal.  I have no clue what it wants; my attempts always fail, and the closest I got was it telling me "parent process blocked by child" which is probably something related to how restrictive this ChromeOS is, but I don't really know.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:14:48 am by madpathmoth »

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2022, 11:39:59 pm »

So I was able to get LNP to load a terminal; as it turns out the name for the default Crostini terminal is
Code: [Select]
x-terminal-emulator
However...  Now it just opens up the terminal and then nothing happens.  Neither Dwarf Fortress nor DFHack launch, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or what I'm supposed to do next.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2022, 11:02:10 am »

Code: [Select]
x-terminal-emulator

Did you set just this up as a terminal command? Looking at the source code, most supported terminals require at least one additional argument to tell the terminal to execute a specific command on startup instead of opening a shell. In your case, you might want to add "-e" or "--command" at the end.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2022, 11:46:18 am »

Did you set just this up as a terminal command? In your case, you might want to add "-e" or "--command" at the end.

You're correct, that's all I had entered.  I tried adding "-e", and then later "--command" instead of "-e", but neither seem to have made progress unfortunately.

Spoiler: Desktop Screenshot (click to show/hide)

I'm not really getting much in the way of feedback to even try and decipher where to look if I want to learn what's not working...

McArcady

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2022, 03:15:46 pm »

Did you set just this up as a terminal command? In your case, you might want to add "-e" or "--command" at the end.
You're correct, that's all I had entered.  I tried adding "-e", and then later "--command" instead of "-e", but neither seem to have made progress unfortunately.
Did you try:
"Custom command" and "x-terminal-emulator -e $"

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2022, 04:47:13 pm »

Did you try:
"Custom command" and "x-terminal-emulator -e $"

I have now that you've suggested it, but there was no noticeable change in the result from my previous post.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2022, 04:50:51 pm »

could it be a PATH issue? maybe try putting the full path to x-terminal-emulator in the custom command.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2022, 03:14:22 am »

could it be a PATH issue? maybe try putting the full path to x-terminal-emulator in the custom command.

I don't understand that.  I lack the context or knowledge to do that or find that information.  I don't know enough to know if that sounds plausible or not either, but, if it was a matter of the terminal's location being unclear, wouldn't it fail to launch the terminal in the first place, instead of launching it and then doing nothing?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2022, 04:22:23 am »

The x-terminal-emulator command is actually a wrapper of garcon written in shell script
In my experience garcon will drop any command arguments when invoking the terminal chrome app.

Op will need to install a Linux terminal app and call that directly.

Maybe try installing a different terminal emulator? https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/comments/8gku8y/psa_you_can_install_a_better_terminal_emulator/
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14