Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 134449 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06) - DON'T PANIC
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2016, 03:44:12 pm »

There is no aquifer under them. These doors and levers are just a short sprint down the hallway/stairs from the dining room. He'd have to deconstruct the wall keeping zombies out though.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2016, 03:48:00 pm »

I vote that i stay safe and build a farmplot, everyone else can run.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2016, 03:49:38 pm »

The statue of Sanctume is there, he's surrounded by firesnakes and he is terrified!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2016, 06:08:27 pm »

So I finally caught up to one of these things while it is still running. (Granted, I'm otherwise up to page 65 of Horrorfailed in Battlefailed's never-ending ride.)

After Sanctume's turn, I was fairly impressed with number of things done with mind to safety. I had thoughts like these:
"Do I want to incorporate these designs"
"are any improvements possible"
"Ooh, I should learn how to do that"
 "There are some great names in the list, I'll look forward how they will amazing works of wonder in a perfectly safe fortress."

Battlefailed forts add a certain unique challenge to building entrances, in that any levers will probably be misused, left collecting dust, atomsmash the migrants or leave dwarves caught in nefarious fog. I don't think anybody pulled the levers to reset water in cleaning through after you, Sanctume. (I had hope that they would figure it out if they can figure out how to get migrants in, but then I read the thread)

At Spish turn, I cringed. And cringed again. And then again.
The come down from "multiple secure entrances, safety mechanisms, ways to deal with every common enemy" to "lets send our miner fighting husks barehanded in a reanimating biome" was pretty huge.
I couldn't stand it; I paused reading and went to get a drink.

I looked at the designs floating in my head, and mentally teared them to shreds.

I forgot that Battlefailed overseers are frequently Opposed to Life.

Then I considered how to do a fort where an overseer couldn't kill dwarves other than by starvation, and concluded that it wouldn't be possible while allowing trading and even without that not possible in a single year.

However, I suppose that in retrospect, that is pretty impressive in it's own way.  Did you punch multiple holes into reanimating cavern just to make life more interesting, Spish?

Though, come to think that's almost classical design for making the wild animals path through a thin pathway, and I'm sure the fort enjoys the compliment :P

Come Imic's turn, the start state missing from OP gave me a ray of hope.

"It probably won't be most interesting turn, but greater efficiency is beautiful on it's own."
ah, good. i- OH NO WAIT THE GATE WAS ALREADY CLOSED! DON'T PULL THAT LEVER!!!!!!!!!!
RIP Hope. Commence random lever-pulling.

Of course, in a moment I realized that I was still overestimating Imic. I blame Sanctume. I should have foreseen titan in the fort with the above quote, not be surprised by it 10 seconds later.

Though, hey - a Battlefailed fort where the enemies can actually path inside. I suppose that's good in a way. Always have to look on the bright side, Imic has successfully improved pathing.

Gwolfski....I suppose being capable of reclaim of the hellcannon is good, even if being driven insane and drowsy before even starting playing is highly discouraging.

Remarkably, I wasn't too horrified, but it didn't seem like too much happened in those 6 months?

Though I suppose somebody should check those [l]ocations to citizen-only like Sanctume mentioned, or you will just have more husks.

I wonder if a husked poet will still sing?

So, TheFlame52. Very promising intro, and I've been quite impressed by BastionGate recently.

Great architectural plans with hell befitting of thread name.

The OP has no links, so I'll give you some:
   6. TheFlame52 1 2 Senshukan's diary 3:TheFlame52 is caught in a cloud of nefarious fog! 4 5

...bloody hells, this fortress husks overseers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:13:25 pm by Fleeting Frames »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2016, 07:10:18 pm »

It is SHEER COINCIDENCE that my dwarf always survives any fort-ending catastrophe that happens during my turn. I have a perfectly good alibi. My dwarf was the medic and I was treating wounded militia. See? Not suspicious at all!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2016, 07:14:14 pm »

I wonder if a husked poet will still sing?
That's like the bottom three entries in the grand list of our concerns at the moment.

It is SHEER COINCIDENCE that my dwarf always survives any fort-ending catastrophe that happens during my turn. I have a perfectly good alibi. My dwarf was the medic and I was treating wounded militia. See? Not suspicious at all!
none can kill the Chaosbane.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2016, 10:20:01 pm »

(Granted, I'm otherwise up to page 65 of Horrorfailed in Battlefailed's never-ending ride.)
What a delightful coincidence, you stopped reading after my turn! :D

At Spish turn, I cringed. And cringed again. And then again.
Hey now, my writing isn't that bad. :P

...is it?

*pompous tirade complaining about the state of affairs and grilling Imic over a joke he made*
Call me crazy, but I'm sensing a bit of a personal agenda here. I really doubt you were that invested in a second-year thread you've never even bothered to post in before. If the !!fun!! is too much for you to handle, there are plenty of other, much friendlier, non-Battlefailed community alternatives for your elf hands to fiddle around with.

Thanks for reminding me about the journals though, I'll see about adding them to the OP later. And a quotes section while I'm at it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:20:00 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Oh, there's a tower on the surface too!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

I might have managed to get something done, but i was busy at the time. Am slightly more free these days. But not today. Or tommorrow. Then freeeeeeeedom!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Actually, put me back on the turn list. While i was playing, i enjoyed it immensley. I was panicking the while time. I think that the traps i set in the way to the caverns were never finished, possibly why gwolfski's turn ended badly.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Nothing bad happened in my turn. 1 named dwarf dead , 2 unnmaned dwarfs dead, 2 migrant waves dead, 10 musicians dead, it's fine!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

I guess there's a growing undead apocalypse on the surface, then?

Not really unexpected if left alone, but I hop....Banish that thought, RIP migrants.

@Spish: Hey, I grilled you more! :p And it certainly isn't the writing.

Oh no. The writing prose is fine. It's more how the content features living hell on Aluonra.

You know, being attacked by the dead you once know is the worst single thing that can happen to a dwarf, with only being forced to eat their beloved pets matching that. Butchering mermaids is comparatively tame.

And yeah, you're probably right that there is some personal agenda at play. Wish I knew what it was, though. "Be responsible gods?"

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The surface is a breeding ground for the apocalypse.
Anything dead re-animates to a nerfed zombie 
But the fog husking nullifies the nerf into a charging mass that retains (even gains?) weapon skills--i.e. human caravan guards.
Then we have an early (year 1) titan dinosaur turned husk.
It's the nightmare version of "I love you You love me" Barney, our very own Salo. :)

Having a tavern, library, or temple open to all visitors will being more husk fodder if the surface / tunnels aren't secured. 
But at the same time, it can be used to attack bait into specific locations also.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 07, 2016, 11:20:58 am »

Anything dead re-animates to a nerfed zombie 
But the fog husking nullifies the nerf into a charging mass that retains (even gains?) weapon skills--i.e. human caravan guards.
Not really, anything that dies by pulping (pretty much anything killed by a humanoid zombie, since that's the only way they can kill), does not reanimate. And it seems only undead creatures from off the map designated as living corpses (see, human corpse nefarious fog husk) can be posthumously husked. They seem to be much easier to kill, because they never had functioning brains to begin with, and probably aren't capable of retaining information.

Then I considered how to do a fort where an overseer couldn't kill dwarves other than by starvation, and concluded that it wouldn't be possible while allowing trading and even without that not possible in a single year.
If that's the kind of fortress you were hoping for after reading through 3 1/2 threads of sheer insanity, then I really don't know what to say. But it's only the third year, there's still plenty of time for someone to stabilize the fortress. If it lasts that long, anyway.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:42:09 pm by Spish »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

spam cage traps
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 52