Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 134010 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #660 on: January 16, 2017, 04:49:11 am »

This is a well-crafted codex entitled the 'Ledgers of Bloodyhells' authored by 'NCommander' Cilobfikod. The writing is filled with madness.
---

My ledgers must be kept up to date, even in a place where cavarns only come to meet their fate.

Nineteen alive, Two thousand thirty eight below. I write the ledgers to keep my mind off things. All of us can feel it in our bones, that sense of dread that permeates the air.

It is stench of death only those who have transcended mortatity can truly understand that pre-emptively occupies our thoughts. We feel the calling in our minds and even with obsidian above, we fear the nothingness below.

As fall arrives, we all hear the tock of the eternal clock, knowing each tick is but a swing of the pick from a fierce reprise.

We must wash away the taint, less we all become faint.

Tick, tick, tick ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 16, 2017, 08:36:12 am »

The impact crater in the ground is impressive, in a sense.

The stored army lurks below.

That exported wealth 5⛭ is really lonely.

Ah well. Good luck with washing. Hope the place won't get dirtier, half our population get husked or FPS plummet to 2.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #662 on: January 17, 2017, 05:09:44 am »

A combination of sickness and lack of creativity has stimed the next update. I'll try and crank it out tomorrow.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 17, 2017, 12:28:11 pm »

Could I be redorfd as Imic III?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 17, 2017, 07:56:46 pm »

You might be able to attract migrants by shutting down the tavern and killing all the visitors (not the trapped pikeman though, she's a vampire and she must be kept alive for science). From what I've noticed, having too many visitors hogging space can prevent migrants from showing up.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:03:09 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 18, 2017, 06:51:39 am »

Can't confirm that, myself, but haven't exactly tested much in that sense. Sure it wasn't trouble at home?

'cuz, if killing visitors without getting migrants we'll have no way to get new citizens, what's with necros not breeding.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #666 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:28 am »

I think the problem is simply too many units on the map. After you get to several thousand dead units on the entities list, it prevents new ones from entering the map. I've got the save open but haven't played enough to get an update. Really not feeling creative juices here, but I'm seeing what I can do from a DFHack perspective to get performance out of the toilet.

EDIT: Ok, I've got the unit list cleared out. That should get us migrants again. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to dump the magma pumpstack down the center staircase in attempt to clean out all the crap in the fort.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:32:28 am by NCommander »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 18, 2017, 09:57:03 am »

I see. Good luck, and I shouldn't be so surprised to hear that from you :P

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 18, 2017, 06:53:09 pm »

You cleared our trophy list? (nooo)
Is the human pikeman vampire still there? That's the only vampire we've gotten in 10 years, so it's probably the only one we're ever gonna see.

And no, I'm pretty sure it's just the visitors. When I was looking for a location for the fortress, I played around with a tiny, 25ish dwarf fortress, and once the visitor numbers got past a certain point I stopped getting migrants completely. Shut down the tavern, killed most of the visitors and the migrants started coming almost immediately.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:01:18 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:36 pm »

Hm, well, it should be unrelated, but I know at least one case where getting stealth merchants to leave brought migrants back, for instance.

Now, 100+ visitors is a bit too much for FPS in any case, but for what's it's worth, checking one of my with decent amount of visitors (21) it still gets migrants. What number would you say the certain point was certainly below of? I'd like to run a test fort myself for peer review.

(Sorry for asking several times - I'm more concerned than usual due my own plans for visitor-relating forts :v)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:07:24 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 18, 2017, 08:38:10 pm »

Dunno, it was probably somewhere around two or three times as many visitors as there were dwarves in the fortress.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 19, 2017, 07:38:45 pm »

....666 visitors?

At that point, I'd kill them myself, migrants or no migrants.

Still, noting it up for test sometime.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #672 on: January 19, 2017, 11:36:34 pm »

Honestly, I think I'm going to pass my turn. I haven't had motivation to play, and with the low FPS having trouble working up a damn. If the next player wants it now, feel free to take it. I can post the starting save with the migrants fixed though.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 20, 2017, 10:21:00 am »

I've just caught up after I stopped reading for a while. Honestly amused that this version of Senshuken is still around... and kind of pissed at being one up'ed by the spirits earlier on.

As for plans... is trying to purge the massive horde of undead below us by pouring lava down there an option?
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 22, 2017, 02:07:06 am »

Looks like we might be running out of players sooner than expected. I opened the map in DF43.05 to see if it worked. It did, but... uh... 4 FPS. That doesn't bode well.

Gonna hold off on PMing the Master until I see if there's anything that can be done about it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:08:37 am by Spish »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 52