Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 133874 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile

I must admire my dwarf's quasi-instant journey from innocence to sheer lack of fucks given.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 2: Wood, Stone And Iron

Spring 300

We are a bunch of lucky beards to have survived that attack from giant osprey corpse.  The chaos that ensue affirms to myself that I must step up if I want to have any chance of surviving in this Bloodyhells.

There is no formal announcement from me about taking authority, so it is rather a natural flow of things going back into semblance of order.  I talk to each of my friends, for what better way to cement friendship than a death defying experience.  I ask questions, point out immediate issues, suggest ways of solving problems, and express my thoughts with a hopeful future in mind.

It is now the late into spring, the 24th of Felsite, and I report that "we are still alive" despite a normal sized osprey corpse and a giant osprey corpse roams the region.

Disgust was our first reaction when a swarm of six giant roach corpses fly over the treetops to the northwest.  However, this a fortunate event for these roaches seem to move slower.  We take this opportunity in spurts of activity hauling logs from the outside while keeping close watch on those moment when the flying undead stray closer to the wagon.

These sketches the outpost entrance is to the bottom left, with the wagon yet to be scuttled, and dead apple wood logs await their use for needed for beds, barrels, and charcoal.  The “Outside Path” indicates where we may walk on when outside.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Front Entrance is hastily dug to bring our meager supplies from the wagon.  Ryukan actually insists in carving an office for him, while Taupe and Flame want a room for their ducks. 

Imic is more prudent in digging an area for a mason’s shop and uses the three precious stones we bring along into a well-crafted olivine door, a well-crafted cobaltite hatch cover, and four blocks of petrified wood.

The olivine front door is our first protection from the outside, so this room is temporary and I put a halt on any priority for furniture or nest boxes for the ducks. 

We must dig deeper, but this plan is retarded when the Spish encounters damp stone four levels down.  So then the stairs leading down two levels diverts to a short hall and an upstairs onto a foyer secured by a well-crafted cobaltite hatch cover.

Legends say that such design up entryway makes hatch covers nearly indestructible.  I have to see it to believe it, but this is what we have now and I pray to Armok that we will be safe.

The Foyer now serves as a wood stockpile with it’s non-square configuration is due to damp dirt walls.  Taupe builds the carpenter and craft shop to the foyer’s north.

The Butcher area is on the same level as the foyer but there is no direct path from this level.

We have great concern on what happens to any recently deceased this part of the world.  I am most worries on the pair of yaks who do not have a pasture to feed on.  A butcher and tanner shop is built with cage traps on the hallway.  The a shallow two levels deep garbage chute is set opposite a pair of closet rooms with hungry yaks inside and secured by stone doors.

The Soap area is a finicky endeavor and has importance as Doc Flame insists that be made a priority.  So below the butcher are modest stockpiles for pressed cake, pressed pastes, fat, and soap bars.  A quern, a presser, an ashery, and a soaper shop makes this area functional.  I use three of the five rock nuts to brough and make rock nut soaps bars.  I hope to grow more quarry bushes from the remaining two nuts.

The Fortress Proper descends west from the foyer above though twin ramps that leads to our precious drinks and prepared food.  Our future dining hall is situated to the west awaiting furnitures.

North of the twin ramps are my modest farm plots in efficient single rows for seven seedlings.  Small piles for four barrels, and four rock pots (never wood pots!) will serve the needs of the still, kitchen, farmer’s shop, and the modest pile for plants, fruits, milled and leaves.

A short hall to the east are the upstairs to the soap and the butcher, a lever to smash the garbage, meat locker, and nest boxes for the ducks.
steps

To the west is the future expansion area for when we have pig tails to process into threads and clothing as well as other textile products.

South of the twin ramps is an expanding excavation from the discovery of conglomerate rocks and hematite ores.

A  mason, stone crafter, and mechanic shops convenient surround our stone pile.  The stone quarry now delays the need to breach the aquifer.

Imic and Spish also struck hematite much to the delight of Niner.  This unexpected boon establishes a modest forge with a smelter and wood furnace.

Beside all of these, I am pleased make compromise of creating beds that can function as individual bedrooms, or public dormitory, or be part of the hospital. 

The aquifer, be it a curse or a blessing is capped over into a functioning well.

And from this well, we have a water source safe from the outside.  It was natural to dig rooms for near this well and convert them into a hospital when needed.  We have soap now.  I await for summer to plant pig tails and make thread and cloths.

Slow and steady, iron weapons and armors are starting to be produced.

Niner, Glory Overlord, already wears an iron helm and wielding a superior iron war hammer.  Much charcoal is needed to keep the forge making iron weapons and armors.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Make some cages and stick cage traps under those yaks. When they starve and reanimate we'll have caged zombie yaks we can do something with.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But that's no fun!  I'd rather do something with caged Giant Corpses. 

But yeah, that's a good idea provided we have more wood logs.

And what, no love for the soap bars?  These are rock nut soaps, quite a task, but I understand it's not impressive.

The garbage chute should work, but I usually make it 5z deep.  This one is only 2z deep, for now.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile

So far so good. That's a friggin good hematite vein right there too.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 3: Under Passage

The Butcher, Bloodyhells

Niner seems to be twitchy, unable to stay put in one place, pacing back and forth for the front door to unlock so as to run out and gather more logs to make charcoal.

Niner announces, “I am almost done with a complete set of iron armor.  I just need to finish a breastplate.”

Sanctume says, “We have a problem. The pair of yaks are starving and I can hear their grunts through stone doors.  We have to butcher them soon.”

Niner responses, “Well, now is a good time as any to start killing them.   I’ll tell you what, I will station The Armored Kings outside the butcher and we’ll be ready.”

Sanctume points out, “You are the sole member now, everyone is working on their own jobs.”

Niner ponders, “How about you join?  I can use a sparring partner.”

Sanctume considers that offer, “I would join if you make me a set of iron armor too, deal?”

Niner exclaims, “Sure!  Now to get more wood.”

Sanctume interrupts, “I’ll join later.  First, we need to butcher these poor yaks.”

There is no outstanding mining to be done yet, and the front door is locked so we use this time to pick up the disgusting remains of wormwoods vermins that clutter the farm, kitchen and still. 

With everyone in the mood to gather refuse, the yak bull is slaughtered first.  The thought of tantalizing yak roast have everyone crowding the butcher shop to store the meat in the meat locker.  The hair, skull and other non essentials are tossed in the garbage.  I manage to tan the hide into usable leather without incident. 

The yak cow is slaughtered next, and enthusiasm is high to haul the meat and toss the scraps.  While tanning the cow skin, it began to move and attack!  Chaos ensues as I try to punch if ineffectively.  Niner is supposed to be ready for this, but he’s back in the iron forge. 

Sheriff Spish is around hauling, and so strikes the cow skin with a bronze pick, severing it into pieces from its reanimation.  Unsure on what to do, the skin pieces were marked for dumping. 

One of the pieces of cow skin reanimated and was fortunately caught in a cage trap. 

And at the same time, a muffled sound can be heard down the garbage chute.  A yak bull skin down there reanimated and it is being pelted by items thrown from above into the garbage chute.

It is only prudent to pull the lever and smash the garbage, and reset back to its ready state.

The garbage chute is expanded to hold one animal cage trap for the purpose of pitting. 

The caged cow yak skin is successfully pitted down without incident and then smashed.

Summer arrives without fanfare as we are focusing on spurts of hauling logs in this tiresome game of “dwarf and osprey“.

Armok laughs upon us on the 5th of Hematite when the giant osprey corpse leave the area.

Everyone runs out for logs, but I insist on staying to plant the much needed pig tails. 

The brief reprieve from the Giant Osprey Corpse danger is replaced by something more creepy, a swarm of six Giant Roach Corpses flies above the trees. 

Oh, horror of horrors!  Oh skin crawling disgusts!   Oh, ho ho ho, what is this? 

These oversized vermin seemingly move slow, hovering, or congregating still in a small cluster. 

Chop those next four trees south of the murky pools.  And with more logs secured, we will have beds, barrels, and more charcoal.

Niner completes a second set of iron armor before the end of Hematite, early summer.

I volunteered myself to take the second spot of The Armored Kings donned with a new suit of iron armor and superior quality iron war hammer. 

We do not have a formal barracks yet, but wearing this makes me feel a bit safer.

End of Mid-Summer
The clothing area is in place as I continue to harvest and reseed pig tails.

On the 25th of Malachite, Kol, the deity of travelers smiles upon a group of migrants who announce their arrival from the eastern edge.

Oh you fortunate fools.  The swarm of undead giant roaches are leaving the area towards the west, with two remaining Giant Roach Corpses.

“Fly you fools!” Err, wait, I’m not Gandorf.  “Run you fools, come inside now!”

--

Ryukan met them formally, “Welcome to Bloodyhells,” and introduces everyone.

I personally met each of them and gauge their usefulness.

“I am Miss Zuglarkun Tundratour,” she smiles, “I dream of having a family someday, and I am a Great Gem Setter, and Competent Macedwarf.”

I dub thee “Mace Zuglarkun.”

“I am Miss Puzzlebark Inkmoisten, I to dream of having a family someday.  I like spears, and I am with cooking, milling, and pressing.”

“I think you will do well in the kitchens Miss Puzzlebark.”

“I am Mistress Kosoth Savagebolted, a Adequate Engraver. I like rutile. And this is my husband, Clover Magic.”

I am pleased to meet you, I think you do well as “Miner Kosoth.”

“I am Mister `Clover Magic’ Sneakinked, and I like battle axes.  I am an Adequate Armorsmith and  Adequate Spinner.

Welcome Clover Magic.

“I am Andreus Grooveattic, “Endless Res”.  I dream of having a family, and I like platinum.  Do you have a library here?  I would like my own private library.
I am an Adequate Soaper, and a Novice in Metal Crafter, Armorsmith, and Metalsmith.  My husband is Twinwolf.”

I nod, “Endless Res, we do not have a library yet, perhaps someday.”

“I am Mister Twinwolf Handlerrhythmic and I like beds.  I am a Novice Thresher, Spinner, and Presser.”

Ahh, then you will enjoy gathering wood and the use of our carpenter shop.

“I am Mister Crashmaster Rockdips, you may address me as Mec Crashmaster.  I like art and gauntlets.  I am an Adequate Glassmaker, but would like to Dabbling Mechanic.

Very well, we have plenty of stones for your mechanical passions.

Finally, last but not least, who may you be sir?

“I am Mister Shorast Tealhatchet, and I too dream of having a family someday.  I am a Novice Milker, a Gelder, and a Beekeeper.”

Sanctume grins, “How do you feel about farming?”

Shorast asks, “Farming sir?”

Sanctume says, “Why yes, farming.  We have an area perfect for your calling.  It is yours now for I have a different calling that involves iron armor and war hammer.”

It is good to see such family oriented folks joining us here in Bloodyhells.

I observe that Niner looking at Taupe and conclude that they are indeed, lovers.

--

I show our new citizens on what we, the founders of Bloodyhells, have done so far.

This is the “Underpassage” which is our planned tunnels two levels beneath the surface, safe from the tree roots.  We plan to have the trade depot in the center with passages leading to the west, north, and east boundary of Bloodyhells. 

For safety reasons, we have not breached up the surface until certain mechanical defenses are in place.

There will also be a ten bed “shared” bedroom with private storage.

To the south of the foyer, the area is still under construction.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm afraid I do not approve of that tunnel system. A safe, sensible, convenient way for pesky outsiders to get into and out of the fortress? We'll see about that...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:47:45 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't worry, we can be a roach motel, they (includes uninvited guests) can check in but can never check out.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I don't know about you, but here at Battlefailed Fortresses™ we do things the dwarfy way. So what if a few (hundred) citizens die in the process?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:44:03 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was going to repost my request here, but I see Spish is on top of things.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"The king's terms were laid out simply. The Lustrous Artifact had a use for dwarves like us; hardened convicts with no families or anything to lose. We would be the first in line to lead an expedition into the darkest corners of Aluonra. To carve out an outpost, lay claim the untold riches that lay buried there, and put a stop to the dwarf necromancer Tosid Rushaxe and his clan. It was either this, or "the hammer" we were told. The death sentence, or a shot at everlasting glory? An easy enough choice... or so we thought at the time. How little we knew...

And thus, we set out upon our suicide mission. Over the Infected Hills, across the Murk of Pain, through the Forest of Murders, until at last we arrived at our destination: the heart of the necromancer's accursed domain. It's safe to say, we've been through a lot to have come this far. Oh, the sights we've seen! Death... death and horror beyond words! But nothing could've prepared us for the hells that awaited..."

—Some dead guy

Well, I don't know about you, but here at Battlefailed Fortresses™ we do things the dwarfy way. So what if a few (hundred) citizens die in the process?

I am doing it the dwarfy way. I want a fortress. I want iron clad warriors.  I want to dig deep.  I want to capture something to be weaponized.  I want to magma cleansing on the surface.  I want the surface to be obsidianized and be engraved.  Actually, it is not dwarfy to fight on the surface. Nope!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 4: Armok Laughs

Late summer, on the 7th of Galena, two pairs of Buck and Doe Rabbit Corpses roam the surface on the far northeast.

We focused on gathering more wood further southeast of the entrance.

The dining hall, offices for Admin Ryukan and Doc Flame are complete.

Some of the beds are set in the “shared bedrooms.”

The control room for the Under Passage is ready for levers.

Some of the bridge locks in Under Passage are linked to levers.

The forge reports creating 2 iron battle axes, 2 iron picks, and a third set of iron armor.

Four iron minecarts, and 4 sets of iron goblets are on order.

Autumn has come, and Miner Imic, Sheriff Spish, and Miner Kosoth start digging deeper through the solid conglomerate rocks from level 97 but the progress halted at level 95 when damp stones conglomerate is reached.

Farmer Shorast, our eldest member at the age of 101 year, says that aquifers may indeed exists in conglomerate bedrocks.

Our plans to dig deeper is postponed.

--

3rd of Limestone 

Oh no!  The undead rabbits are leaving the area.

We have to watch what comes after because the logs are a bit further away from the entrance.

Aww it's a weasel in the northeast.  Err, umm it's a Weasel Corpse!  At least it is alone.  And it is not a giant. 

We chopped four more trees much further in the southeast of the entrance. 

Somebody did not follow the “Outside Path” and walk over the pools of acrid slime. 

Traffic designations are added restricting foot paths over the unwanted areas.

And I suppose it is time to reveal what is constructed south of the foyer. 

Behold!  We start filling our dwarven bathtub.  This is engineered to have a drain system, sealed filling, and perfect water level mechanics. 

Here are the instructions.

On the 13th of Limestone, 300, a Goblin outpost liaison, Oddom Likotlocun, from Suvaszan has arrived coming in from the north.

A caravan from Suvaszan has arrived from the east.

This is indeed a fortunate situation for the Weasel Corpse linger down in the southeast.

We do not have any Under Passage ready, so the liaison and merchants have to enter in through the front that is currently protected by a stone door, and a stone hatch cover.

We will dig a new entrance gate, and a front passage to replace the front door.

The meeting between Admin Ryukan and Oddom Likotlocun is concluded on the 22nd of Malachite.

We made large serrated iron discs and a pot of prepared food for trade to procure more supplies: food and drinks variety, cloth and leather, metal items, instruments, library supplies, and a native platinum block.

Admin Ryukan delayed the trade deal because she had to sleep, get a drink, then eat first.

Oh Armok!  On the 24th of Limestone, there is something coming from the northeast.

The Forest Titan, Salo Narenatipi has come!  It’s a huge scaly therapod, with three long straight tails and emanates an aura of giving and kindness.

What is this? A T-Rex hippie? An elf-loving monstrosity?  What can be worse that this?

Its eyes glow fuchsia, and its rose taupe scales are blocky and overlapping.

We’re worried that this titan can destroy our stone door.  But Salo starts chasing a weasel nefarious fog husk. 

Oh, I bet my beard that Armok is laughing now.  Thank you, you cruel joker! 

Despite the size advantage of the titan, the husk weasel is fighting it for a long time.  I am hopefully that we can build the bridge in the front entrance. 

So, what can be worse than this, I ask?

A cloud drifts over the fight, and the titan is caught in a cloud of nefarious fog! 

There is now a forest titan nefarious fog husk in the surface of Bloodyhells.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:02:50 pm by Sanctume »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ohh, oh my word. And here I thought the zombie ogres were terrifying :o

We must do whatever it takes to weaponize that thing in the name of all that is dwarfy and scientific
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 01:37:59 am by Spish »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Barney Salo the purple rose taupe dinosaur has come!

Hide the children!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 02:42:45 am by Zuglarkun »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

PTW
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52