Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 135510 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Upon closer inspection, I'm gonna have to say no to retiring the fortress. It makes things topsy-turvy, clears out most the fun (and artifacts), gives us more dwarves, and is too exploitable. I'd much rather see us pull through this situation the old fashioned way (or die trying ;) ).
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

Retiring can sometimes fixing crashing bugs. Instead of a blanket ban, I think it should be something we keep in our quiver in case the fort descends into unplayable.

*/just saying*
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Upon closer inspection, I'm gonna have to say no to retiring the fortress. It makes things topsy-turvy, clears out most the fun (and artifacts), gives us more dwarves, and is too exploitable. I'd much rather see us pull through this situation the old fashioned way (or die trying ;) ).

Ah. Well, I was kinda already about 2 hours into playing =(. From what I can tell, the artifacts don't disappear until the fort is unretired, and I picked up all of the notable stuff I found, which seemingly caused it to persist in spite of the retire. As far as the extra dwarves go, they're a migrant wave, I would know, since I saw them traveling towards the site while I was walking my adventurer to the fortress. The same challenge (how to keep them in) persists, and the fortress is now heavily flooded from the water, there's zombies in the base somehow, and to be honest I'm actually having a legitimate blast trying to figure out how to keep at least some of the dorfs alive. If you insist, I'll restart the year from the beginning, but some really cool stuff has happened thus far, and I've still not even through Spring.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:17:24 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2016, 07:18:32 pm »

Guess I'll let this one slide then. Same stuff would happen if we had to reclaim, anyway. The fortress is still young, so there isn't much to lose.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:10:20 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

So I was bored enough to risk my sanity and see what the fortress looks like.
Salo is visible in that empty NW room. He's distracted, maybe he needs a temple?

Spoiler: Rutherer in a Temple (click to show/hide)
I wonder if there is a way to check if this one's praying needs are satisfied, but I don't know enough dfhackery for this.

It is a bit labyrinthine though and has few tunnels to nowhere. Few questions are raised:

Spoiler: On the upper levels (click to show/hide)
It seems someone decided to start making catapults, then changed their mind and decided minecarts make for better shooting mechanisms. Uh, where did the great overseer want to place them? I found one built, but the orientation seems to be made for minimum accuracy.

Spoiler: Tower? (click to show/hide)
Hey, Gwolfski, this yours?

As far as plans go, not too hard to reclaim the entrance levers, though the easiest live target would be your lever-puller. If somebody tries this, I'd suggest retaking the atomsmasher door, as it's not hard to move 10 spaces in 200 steps :p

As a side note, I get 49-51 FPS here.....Which is better than my peaceful calm island two year fortress. Sign me up for a turn!

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2016, 10:39:15 pm »

You know, if that tower had its only private food storage and access to fresh water, potentially we could station some marks dwarves inside it and somewhat isolate it from the rest of the fortress...

Don't need to put in a firing range because the zombies and husks would make excellent target dummies what with lasting forever regardless of what happens to them.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2016, 10:42:01 pm »

OH GOD ALL THE DUCKS ARE DROWNING AND THEY'RE TURNING INTO ZOMBIES FUCK MY LIFE!
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2016, 12:13:15 am »

.....That is unexpected. I assumed the undead would get them, what's with the free pathways to duckies.

@Senshuken:
It does seem like a nice thing to make use of, I'd probably make it accessible from lower fort from a sealable entrance. With the live targets available, you wouldn't necessarily have to make the squad active, even - just guide to location and give crossbows.

However, there are few small problems with it: as you can see in the screenshot it is open to fliers and climbers, and there are signs of battle on lower level.

Also, I suspect any climbers could probably jump in through carved fortifications, as there's no overhang.

As far as sealing in goes, bolts would be an issue - can't exactly retrieve bones while husks walk upright near, wood is limited and smelting wellspring would require bringing up at least 2 magma-filled carts and anvil.

Still, either way the biggest issue would be the lack of living dwarves. (Dead, on the other hand...)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2016, 02:37:14 am »

That is my tower. I suggest you build it up and wider before adding marksadwarves.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2016, 03:07:54 am »

That is my tower. I suggest you build it up and wider before adding marksadwarves.

So you're suggestion is make it not shit before trying to use it.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2016, 03:24:06 am »

No, it is so a stairway without view of the outside can go higher, eg ring of doors/walls around main stair so dwarves wont cancel jobs if they spot a zombie.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2016, 08:31:06 am »

Artifacts that vanish when the fort is retired and unretired reappear when the game is saved and loaded.

Also, zombies are wimps. Gwolfski managed to clear out that whole room before Salo got to her. Some of them are still dead.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2016, 08:43:05 am »

.....That is unexpected. I assumed the undead would get them, what's with the free pathways to duckies.

@Senshuken:
It does seem like a nice thing to make use of, I'd probably make it accessible from lower fort from a sealable entrance. With the live targets available, you wouldn't necessarily have to make the squad active, even - just guide to location and give crossbows.

However, there are few small problems with it: as you can see in the screenshot it is open to fliers and climbers, and there are signs of battle on lower level.

Also, I suspect any climbers could probably jump in through carved fortifications, as there's no overhang.

As far as sealing in goes, bolts would be an issue - can't exactly retrieve bones while husks walk upright near, wood is limited and smelting wellspring would require bringing up at least 2 magma-filled carts and anvil.

Still, either way the biggest issue would be the lack of living dwarves. (Dead, on the other hand...)

I don't even know what's going on tbh, shit is happening everywhere and visitors are dying left and right. The current plan is to try and get the handful of migrants on the surface down to the magma forge level; there's picks all over the place from merchants and what not.
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2016, 09:18:17 am »

Artifacts that vanish when the fort is retired and unretired reappear when the game is saved and loaded.

Also, zombies are wimps. Gwolfski managed to clear out that whole room before Salo got to her. Some of them are still dead.

Zombies may be wimps, but thralls aren't.
It was inevitable.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2016, 10:38:28 am »

First of all, you'll want to disable the underground alert; it screws with surface migrants. There are plenty of secure entrances to bring them inside while keeping the husks out, if you can lock someone in a room with levers.

(mind, your citizens will try to store items from the surface if they're not properly burrowed)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:19:42 pm by Spish »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 52