Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 134299 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #315 on: June 15, 2016, 11:59:36 am »

I thought that elves could become necromancers in adventure mode, it just never happens in worldgen because they can't become obsessed with their mortality for obvious reasons?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 15, 2016, 12:25:04 pm »

I thought that elves could become necromancers in adventure mode, it just never happens in worldgen because they can't become obsessed with their mortality for obvious reasons?

Nope, even if you read the book you don't get necromancer powers, though you do get "learned secrets of life and death" in legends mode.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 15, 2016, 01:46:33 pm »

Not really, it's just basic burrow management plus locked door airlocks.
z-levels spanning burrows count as micromanagement in my book right now :p and if using locked doors, will have to use multiple with manual locking every time hauling is done, so yeah.

For automation, perhaps let them handle food and crafts industries in a completely segregate way with minecart carrying what they don't use to the rest of the fort through fortification/statue/fortification?

Maybe I'll implement that on my turn if there are any non-necros still alive by then.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 15, 2016, 04:00:08 pm »

Vampires are cooler.

On that note, anyone who manages to last more than two minutes on the surface should automatically be suspected of Vampirism.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 15, 2016, 05:37:26 pm »

Vampires are cooler.

On that note, anyone who manages to last more than two minutes on the surface should automatically be suspected of Vampirism.

Assuming of course that they aren't a necromancer. Tbh, grabbing a vampire would be an excellent way to deal with people like Archereon who can't be made necromancers; since necromancers don't sleep, if everyone is either a necromancer or a vampire, there's no danger of anyone being drained. Besides children. Given this is the Bay 12 forums, I'm not sure anyone cares what happens to dwarven children, but if you actually did find issue with them being eaten by vampires, you could just put them in a seperate burrow from the vampires, since IIRC they respect burrows. I've already seen a number of vampire visitors already...Cue idea...
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

kleanea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 17, 2016, 02:15:49 pm »

Take me off the player list.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 17, 2016, 02:21:00 pm »

Summer 303: Part 3

"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death, and we shall overcome this great obstacle not through our faith in the gods, but rather through our faith in ourselves."- Logem Abbyrhymes in Victory by Death

Excerpt from Visions of the Abyss: The Early Years of Bloodyhells by Iyathi "Archereon" Awemedinade:

There are many who have condemned me as a Heresiarch and a madman for my decision to share the secrets of the black arts with the dwarves of Nashonshash, chief among them being my own people. But when I announced my discovery before the fortress, and stated my support for making use of this power, there were very few objections. For, in spite of all our efforts, the fortress was still teetering on the edge of the abyss. All it would take would be one tiny slip up, and the efforts of the year would be undone. NCommander was the first to read the book after myself.

Contrary to what the stories say, practicing the black arts does not induce any immediate changes to one's appearance; he did not become a pale and sallow corpse as is the typical depiction of a necromancer; armed with the knowledge and power of life and death, NCommander was still the same person as always. But he was now capable of things well beyond a mortal dwarf. The most important part being the fact that he was now able to venture outside the safety of the fortress without being attacked, which he demonstrated by casually retrieving a barrel of dwarven ale from the surface. While we locked the door behind him to be sure nothing would wander in, it was only a few minutes before he returned, knocking on the door and questioning our manhood for locking him out. This feat was enough to convince the handful of dwarves with doubts about using the black arts, and soon enough practically the whole of the fortress had gained the same insight as NCommander. With perhaps a dozen dwarves schooled in necromancy, the time was right to begin taking back the fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NCommander dug out a makeshift storeroom just below the surface, and dug a staircase leading upwards behind a sturdy door. With a second door preventing reentry into the fortress, we began the process of recovering the countless discarded riches lying around on the surface. While this process was ongoing, the rest of us were hard at work preparing living space for the new additions to the fortress. Many more trees were felled that month, but by that point, I found myself numb to what once would've been viewed as a necessary evil at best. There was a great deal of administrative work involved in this process, and I spent many evenings shut away in my study checking and rechecking stockpile records, though I was able to dedicate nearly as much time to honing my skills at smithing. The recovery of a number of steel arms and armor was of particular use, and it was not long before Spish was fitted with a full suit of steel armor. Ill fitting and low quality equipment was melted down, and its material salvaged for later use. With my time between meals largely devoted to smithing and administrative work, the fortress was quickly overflowing with extra weapons. In the interest of ensuring the safety of the fortress in the event of a breach, I announced the organization of a citizen's militia; excluding those in professions which require bulky tools as a matter of course, all members of the fortress not in the regular military—myself included—would henceforth be organized into emergency squads of ten for use in the event of a breach of the lower fortress, and would for self defense each carry a weapon and shield if able to do so, with the appointed leaders of militia squads recieving full suits of armor if the fortress stocks permitted.

Excerpts from Collected Logs of the year 303 by Iyathi "Archereon" Awemedinade:

7th Galena, year 303: In parallel with the work on the surface, I have begun a number of projects; firstly, the sealing of the breach into the lower caverns we made near the beginning of the year in order to acquire wood. The entrance is now fortified with a gate and several cage traps. This was prompted by the intrusion of a troll into the lower fortress, which was swiftly put down by Spish, and was subsequently reanimated by the energies permeating these lands which required it to be re-killed several times before it stirred no more. Thanks to his sturdy armor, Spish was completely unharmed beyond some superficial bruising.

Another project is the digging of a shaft going from the uppermost layer of the fortress beneath the aquifer down to magma. This shall serve both as a chute for disposal of our own dead in a dignified manner—cremation by magma being quite a common funerary practice among deep dwarves—but also for the disposal of corpses which refuse to remain still, as well as general refuse.

As part of the continuing effort to move the fortress down to the depths, I have also begun the construction of a new farming area, down much closer to the depths. The flooding of the lower fortress provides an easy point of access for irrigation. It should be noted that, as necromancers require no food or drink to survive, farming is not nearly as urgent a task as it once was. However, for the sake of the denizens of the fortress who have not or are unable to make use of the secrets of life and death, it is important that we maintain at leas some agriculture.

21st Galena, year 303: Work on the surface is proceeding slowly but surely. On several occassions, the dwarves working on the surface have been forced to run for cover by the arrival of the accursed mist, and while none of them have been caught in the clouds thus far, work on the surface is not without its risk, even for necromancers. Meanwhile, down in the depths, we have turned to another source of power oftentimes regarded as taboo: adamantine. Ironically, there was considerably more resistance to my order to begin excavating one of the veins of adamantine which punctured the lower caverns; countless fortresses have fallen, the dwarves say, through such hubris. After slicing clean through a boulder using a sword forged from the priceless metal, most of the dissenting voices went silent. As a precaution, I have placed a hatch cover above the path leading down into the heart of the vein. It took only a short time to completely excavate the uppermost layer of adamantine, and now, several of the citizens are hard at work separating the pale blue metallic fibers from the surrounding rock. The top layer of the vein is incredibly rich with adamantine, and it will be many months before we need to dig any further. As Summer draws to a close, I have begun drawing up plans for a new professional military.

It was inevitable.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 17, 2016, 09:39:35 pm »

"No! I must kill the undead" he shouted
The book said "No, John. You are the undead"
And then Archereon was a necromancer.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 17, 2016, 09:55:16 pm »

I so loled.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 17, 2016, 10:47:01 pm »

"What was that Nietzsche said? 'He who fights drummers should see to it that in the process he does not himself become a drummer'? Or was it monsters?"
It was inevitable.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 18, 2016, 04:06:00 am »

With most of the fortress non-drinking, non-eating, non-sleeping, the question of a grand project in the future rears itself.

1) Just because you don't need to have a dining hall doesn't mean you don't want a fabulous tavern/library/temple for visitors/necromancers-to-be. Additionally, it might be necessary to get dwarves to drink, lest they become shambling reanimators?

2) Husking fog is terribly annoying. Roofing over initially select pathways, then the entire surface should help mitigate it.

Btw, for surface item reclamation, you can just lay something pointless like coins stockpile on them and then dig a ramp underneath; the item will prop down without your dwarf ever having to visit the z-level above. (Could have done this with the anvil too, but I digress.)

3) A graveyard to all living beings. When the gates to hell are breached, they can be raised (assuming there is spot of map where dead do not jollily get up), wail ineffectually, die, and be raised again from behind a fortification + window!

Backup plan would be necessary, as Spish VS troll demonstrates. Maybe adding husking fog would help....

....Bloodyhells, a flying demon husk army would be incredible superweapon.

4) Going back to it's roots, syndrome weaponry would be fitting, and there's ocean for "easy" flooding of the surface. Does the nefarious fog husk clouds leave coatings on ammo piles?

Alternatively, getting rid of all the water on map would be pretty significant if difficult "screw Aluonra" to the world - easiest accomplished by flooding the world with magma.

Anyway, nice progress Archereon. How many citizens are still under your command and able at this point?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 18, 2016, 08:43:07 am »

With most of the fortress non-drinking, non-eating, non-sleeping, the question of a grand project in the future rears itself.

1) Just because you don't need to have a dining hall doesn't mean you don't want a fabulous tavern/library/temple for visitors/necromancers-to-be. Additionally, it might be necessary to get dwarves to drink, lest they become shambling reanimators?

2) Husking fog is terribly annoying. Roofing over initially select pathways, then the entire surface should help mitigate it.

Btw, for surface item reclamation, you can just lay something pointless like coins stockpile on them and then dig a ramp underneath; the item will prop down without your dwarf ever having to visit the z-level above. (Could have done this with the anvil too, but I digress.)

3) A graveyard to all living beings. When the gates to hell are breached, they can be raised (assuming there is spot of map where dead do not jollily get up), wail ineffectually, die, and be raised again from behind a fortification + window!

Backup plan would be necessary, as Spish VS troll demonstrates. Maybe adding husking fog would help....

4) Going back to it's roots, syndrome weaponry would be fitting, and there's ocean for "easy" flooding of the surface. Does the nefarious fog husk clouds leave coatings on ammo piles?

Alternatively, getting rid of all the water on map would be pretty significant if difficult "screw Aluonra" to the world - easiest accomplished by flooding the world with magma.

Anyway, nice progress Archereon. How many citizens are still under your command and able at this point?

1. I think we should have all those things. A library so more can read The Book (and so more copies can be made), a temple because dwarves will still want to worship, a tavern because necromancers will still order drinks.

2. If everyone is necromancers, the trouble will still be that those caught in the fog will be lost to us. Even if they don't attack. Sounds like a plan.

3. Also sounds like a plan. The area under the ocean doesn't reanimate, I think. Backup plan would probably be to cage as many undead as possible to release in an attack.

4. No it doesn't, it's fog.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 18, 2016, 08:44:11 am »

13 out of 13: I've been fairly careful about husking clouds.
It was inevitable.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #328 on: June 18, 2016, 11:28:39 am »

I want to think that my dwarf was looking for some reading material for the toilet, and inadvertently found the secrets of life and death.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 18, 2016, 12:13:52 pm »

since necromancers, could i be dorfed as imic, necroer of threads
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52