Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 133913 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #525 on: September 23, 2016, 04:28:32 am »

Ahahaha.

Nice reveal.

You sneaky snek.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 23, 2016, 11:18:51 am »

HOLY HELL

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 23, 2016, 11:54:29 am »

Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 23, 2016, 08:37:06 pm »

I see that we opted to do some spring cleaning KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Most delightful turn of events!

Will pick up the save once I return from work and stuff.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 01, 2016, 11:54:55 am »

I do apologize for the lack of updates.

I've been busy with work and I should have plenty of free time in the days following tomorrow to get stuff done.

I picked up the save a few days ago, scanning through the fortress and wrapping my mind around it before my mind exploded from the craziness awesomeness that is BloodyHells.

I have since recovered (after a few stiff drinks) and I am contemplating what to do about the current state of the fortress.

I don't even know where to begin. On the one hand I am incredibly saddened by the destruction of the conglomerate codex containing the secrets of life and death. On the other hand, we have a notoriously deadly tin-glaze bound codex that rivals even the most deadly of adamantine weapons in our possession, standing at 56 kills. Which is now locked in a cage with its wielder, an elf nefarious fog husk.

Dead bodies and their refuse lie sprawled everywhere, as is customary might I add. The surface is being engulfed in a stream of cleansing lava, that has obsidianized a good portion of the surface of the ocean. Forlorn ghosts are roaming everywhere and we are sandwiched by Salo above and the stream of undead that roam the caverns below. The death list is at 2000+ and counting. Bloody death and destruction everywhere you look, though nobody really cares anyway.

The coterie of necromancers (of which I am a member of) are all moping because its lonely being an immortal being that laughs at death, and are all gradually getting slower day by day due to abstaining from booze. Everyone dwarf but 2 cooped up near the surface is an Armok-be-damned necromancer.

Well actually I exaggerate. Things are not so bad, so happiness is just fine. Except for NCommander whom is somehow unhappy.

But it is clear that the normal rules of most community forts do not apply to BloodyHells. Of what use is good food and drink to the likes of us?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 01, 2016, 12:44:24 pm »

1. Make a tavern. Dwarves will go there and order drinks.
2. What do you mean, sandwiched between Salo and the caverns? Salo is the titan, right? Didn't I trap it? Did some idiot let him loose?
3. Get some paper going so we can make a library. Maybe we can get one of the necromancers to make a new book of life and death.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 01, 2016, 02:29:37 pm »

On the other hand, we have a notoriously deadly tin-glaze bound codex that rivals even the most deadly of adamantine weapons in our possession, standing at 56 kills. Which is now locked in a cage with its wielder, an elf nefarious fog husk.

...What.

Okay, codexes killing people is no surprise, but this level of destruction...How to weaponize on our side? Also, what are the stats on a codex as a weapon?

Could simply unleash the husk, granted, but I mean for dwarves.

Maybe interrupt a dwarf who is storing codex with some undead until they name the codex?

Having necromancers beat you to death with the secrets of life and death and then raise would be quite unique feat.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 01, 2016, 04:06:52 pm »

Do we know what happened to the conglomerate codex? I just figured it was in the library all along. We do have a tavern actually, right next to the library. I made mugs for it and assigned a tavern keeper (who died cleaning the caverns). NCommander is broken by stress or something and mopes around for a month or so every season now. He seems to spend the rest of his time obsessing over wealth in the temple instead of working. Was probably a bad choice as the replacement tavern keeper. Salo should still be just as secure as ever.

Some filler from winter;

Zutthan Authortrumpets Ranger's Field Journal

Tosid wrote this

Iden's Notes

I wanted to get some plumphelmets planted right away but digging was slow so I rushed to build the temporary workshops needed to melt what precious iron things we had stockpiled until Avuz had iron bars to make his boot. The two of us then finished digging the farming area including a cistern for a well and punched through to a pocket of groundwater. We cleared up some clutter while the flooding dryed up then got our food supply planted safe in the ground. Feeling quite confident.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Nearby in the soil layer the Imic memmorial aqui-power facility meets it's power output requirements using up most of the wood - He was back-washed in during flow-starting and wouldn't get out - and Flame and Spish throw the levers opening the magma hatches and powering up the pump-stack.)

It started with the smell of smoke.

Then came the smell of panic.

The outer trade bridge is compromised but it will buy donkey a moment to escape the doomed depot hall.

The inner bridge and donkey are secured before the outer fails.

After a moment to relax it is decided we must source some magma-proof rock if we still hope to survive here. There were murky pools on the surface so it's likely only obsidian will be found there now.
Stopping work on some optimistic bedrooms to cut an exploratory stair to the predicted obsidian location proved a bad idea. Apparently there's an aquifer here.
Initial flooding control was lackluster to say the least.

While significant loses were accepted and plans altered, motivation remained a problem.

Perseverance eventually proved successful while carelessness seems to have released some foreign prisoner temporarily. We're not really much worse off then before.
Poor doomed donkey.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 01, 2016, 04:21:54 pm »

- Hm, haven't previously irrigated by punching murky pools. I usually try to save them for fishing.

- Tunnel tube bridges are pretty, but massive overkill. Has there been any research into the FPS drain in flowing aquifers?

- If you had made outer depot bridge raise the other way, it'd have been magma-safe - 2 tile bridges raising to south and east are magma safe when raised, even if made from something like wood.

- Remind me, what did acrid slime do again?

- Accidentially flooding through aquifer, what fun. Strong enough current to push dwarves back. Nicely handled, though.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 01, 2016, 05:39:02 pm »

The 'groundwater' used for irrigation was actually the main fort's hospital well cistern and as-such it required some out-of story prep work and was re-filled after from the lever in the main fort.
Since flow is just a tag and no water is moving any longer there should be no FPS impact from the Imic memorial aqui-power plant.
It's actually when magma is able to share any of a non-magma-safe building's tiles that it can be destroyed iirc. The surface-level retracting bridge was intended to have been remembered and re-built before magma-ing the surface though.
I don't even know. Dizziness maybe.
I had practice from partially flooding the pumpstack earlier.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 01, 2016, 08:32:31 pm »

Sounds like no exact science on flow, but that it's small enough to be ditched as noise.

And you're wrong on bridges. It is only when the magma is over the bridge's center tile, not any tile. This means that 2-tile bridges that lower to south and east are safe when raised from magma in any direction (and yes, I have tested this - see Deathgame's microcline bridge in magma trash burner).

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 06, 2016, 06:22:41 am »

The Mayor was busy, as was custom every time there was a change in command at the beginning of the year. The rest of the populace was occupied in the library, or chilling in the tavern,
Spoiler: listening to stories (click to show/hide)

The Mayor found her next overseer praying in the Temple. It was not unusual for the more devout dwarves to attempt to commune to their gods in some fashion or another,

but when she found her target she was... rather worried.
Spoiler: All hail Tarem! (click to show/hide)

Perhaps some of us took this whole necromancer business, a tad more seriously than the others, she thought to herself.

Overseer Zuglarkun's Log:

2nd Granite
Nashonshash is a bloody charnal house. A deluge of lava flows lazily across its surface while undead prowl its forsaken corridors. The very soil is drenched in the stench of flesh and the walls are caked with dried blood. Well, nothing unusual here!

I have long since come to terms with my unliving state. Its not too bad when you get used to it. We're still dwarves on the inside.

Mayor Shorast had approached me for overseership, and I gladly accepted. There's nothing to do in this neck of the woods, so this will serve as a good distraction at the very least. My first order of business was to put an end to the deluge above. In order to access the surface, I ordered the magma pump stacks to be shut off for now.

I noticed we were without a few key positions on our
Spoiler: roster of nobles. (click to show/hide)

Seeing as how I was eligible, I took the position of bookkeeper, and appointed Erib to the position of manager. There's some housekeeping to be done, so I've ordered some cleaning up. I know we are all necromancers and all, but it won't do to have all these body parts lying about.

While clearing out the unliving quarters, we happened upon the corpses of some of our
Spoiler: long deceased poultry. (click to show/hide)
There were all ordered to be
Spoiler: dumped. (click to show/hide)

Speaking of which, I've been alerted that there is a reanimated wolf skin running amok in our workshop quarters.

From observation next door, we likely won't be able to get rid of it with our military without it occupying them in a futile battle for all eternity. Rather than risk that possibility, I've ordered a few
Spoiler: cage traps (click to show/hide)
to be erected to deal with an annoying wolf skin that blocked off use of our workshop quarters. Hopefully all goes well.

Meanwhile, it has come to my attention that one of our visitors is stranded up above by the tide of lava.
Spoiler: Too bad (click to show/hide)

4th Granite
Speaking off visitors, Quabu Isunberu a goblin spearman is visiting. I hope this one does not end up engaging in a fight for all eternity with one of our resurrected animal skins, like the other goblin visitor we have.

At my command, the Night Guard engage the resurrected wolf skin to lure the reanimated bugger into a cage trap.
Spoiler: Battle is joined (click to show/hide)

Once they've engaged, I ordered a quick retreat, luring the wolf skin into one of our traps.
Spoiler: Success! (click to show/hide)

10th Granite 307
More visitors have arrived, Thothil a human lasher. Well if we do plan on welcoming visitors, we might as well clean up this place and make it more presentable.

14th Granite 307
Spoiler: OK. More visitors. (click to show/hide)

They complained about the lack of trade depot to unload their goods. Don't ask me how I managed to acquire that message, I just know OK? Now that I think about it, I think you got all your priorities mixed up if you're willing to wade through all that lava to trade. Stupid elves don't even have a sense of self-preservation. Still I suppose it doesn't hurt to try to meet their demands. Our former trade depot is occupied by unfriendly undead, so I don't think it'll do. I will get the masons to construct a replacement so we are not utterly cut off from the outside world (though I think some of us might prefer it that way). Still, we will need to wait for the lava up top to subside.

In the meantime, I decided upon consolidating some of our animals in one place. We opened up a tunnel to the caverns where a bunch of caged rutherers reside. I'm sure they will be of some use to us.

Spoiler: Whoops! (click to show/hide)
Too late, before the caverns can be sealed, Ryukan and a few others decided to storm the caverns to dump some trash that a previous overseer mandated. I put a stop to that by banning disposal of garbage for now.

Once everyone was back safely, we sealed off the tunnel from the caverns and moved the caged beasts to a holding aread within the deep fortress. I've assigned the animal trainers to tame the younglings, while the adults might be of use to us to polish our
Spoiler: animal trainer skills. (click to show/hide)

Huh, more visitors. Doce a human macemen is visiting.

Also, I did not realize we can attempt to
Spoiler: train these creatures (click to show/hide)
I doubt it will work, but no harm trying.

Looks like the undead giant ospreys have found themselves some fresh meat to play with. It did not end well for our human macemen.

Eh, more visitors will come.

23rd Granite 307
I decided to do something about the
Spoiler: ghost situation. (click to show/hide)

I guess we are all kindred of some sort being undead and all. But from my meager understanding, we retain most of our faculties and have a firm anchor to the material world whereas ghosts are more prone to act upon their emotions and are incorporeal for the most part. For immortal beings such as us, it is important to reduce risks of permanent injury, like this violent ghost for example.
Spoiler: whoo spooky! (click to show/hide)

I guess what I am saying is that these specters of the living can threaten us while we can't do anything about them. I've ordered a bunch of slabs
Spoiler: made and engraved (click to show/hide)
to appease them as is dwarven tradition and reclaimed some of the forbidden slabs in the upper fort to bolster our stock.

As bookkeeper, I decided we needed all our codices in one place so as to be able to keep track of them easily (not that I had any problem doing so of course). The order was given out to salvage as many of the codices as were possible from the wreckage above.

Led Tanunib, Ghostly Ranger has been
Spoiler: put to rest. (click to show/hide)

26th Granite 307
Okay, the giant osprey corpse has found the
Spoiler: elf merchants. (click to show/hide)
I guess we won't be conducting trade after all.

We've dubbed the bird of prey Dreamyankle the Frosty Wires in admiration of its prowess in dissecting elves.

We have yet another
Spoiler: Visitor (click to show/hide)
Good luck getting in!

1st Slate 307
Spoiler: Unsurprisingly. (click to show/hide)

Up above, the giant osprey corpse swoops down and tries to take on the human but the human drives it off, not without suffering severe injuries. An elf, Narena reanimates and goes after the human, but the human axeman Rostfen kills it and succumbs to its wounds. Rostfen now resurrects and goes after the dwarf warrior swordsdwarf Onget. Onget kills the human corpse but also suffers the same fate, dying and reanimating. This time the corpse goes after the speargoblin Quabu, but is fended off successfully.

Ehh screw the details, you ran the gauntlet and survived? Good! We need folk of your mettle! Welcome to Bloodyhells!

Goden meets the survivor of the scuffle above ground, one Quabu Isunberu. Goden welcomes the mercenary and locks the door behind him.

Quabu attends a meeting with the mayor, proclaiming that he heard the Garlic of Vipers would make a good base for
Spoiler: a mercenary (click to show/hide)

Hoo boy, you have no idea what you are getting into.

Hah, I spoke too soon. Another mercenary arrives, Lolor a marksdwarf. Good to see at least some folk are not deterred by this hellhole!

In the meantime, Quabu is put to a test of skill against our pet ducks. He does well for awhile but ultimately is humiliated by the billed ones.

Meanwhile the only other living dwarves are doing reasonably well in their little hidey hole. Unfortunately, the starving ewe could prove to be a threat should it expire and reanimate as
Spoiler: an undead. (click to show/hide)

Ok, more visitors. This time a goblin bard. And even more visitors, a human spearman.

In hopes that someone will record down the secrets of life and death ere we forget, I appointed a scholar and scribe to
Spoiler: the Chamber of death. (click to show/hide)

Oops, Irol the human spearman is set upon by a swarm of giant firefly corpses, he does well until he dodges into a pool of cooling lava.

Tiqua the human lasher visits and is also swarmed by undead.

15th Slate 307
After the lava has mostly subsided we ventured out to restock our library with more reading material, keeping an eye out for the awful weather. More of the corpses have returned to unlife, but being necromancers, they did not bother us in the least.
Of course, after procuring these texts, everyone made a mad dash for the latest trash fiction stored it in the library and proceeded to read away. Pfft, I guess the necromantic tradition causes an upsurge in this "scholarly behavior". I will have to restrict book access if I need tasks to be done.

The ghost of Sanctume materializes over the water pumps machinery.
and now, Ryukan is being haunted by his former spouse.
Spoiler: Sanctume used Haunt! (click to show/hide)

Which reminds me, need to erect those
Spoiler: slabs. (click to show/hide)
The ghosts of Vabok, Avafi and Likot were

13th Felsite 307
I've enlisted everyone to remove the outside barriers so we can setup a proper trade depot with proper gates and all.

Flame has bestowed a name upon his
Spoiler: iron pick (click to show/hide)

21st Felsite 307
Sanctume's spirit has been
R.I.P. Sanctume.

I'm in the process of installing two gates; one for the front entrance on the surface and another for the trade depot. Levers and instructions for what they link to are in the mayors room.

It is now summer.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 06, 2016, 07:03:29 am »

Goden, "Dwarf engraver necromancer"

"Yo Goden slab some  ghosts for us."

"Put down the death by slab? I'll do the exact opposite."

"No don't oh he's grabbing the slab."

*slabs secrets of life and death*

*ghost reads it*

*ghost casts it on other ghosts for zombie ghosts*

"Dammit, Goden"

Yeah dwarves mediating on suicide is ...

Are the long deceased poultry still ...I guess if they're long dead they're no good for rere-animation.

[ħr]

Heh on eternal visitor wars.

Well that was one of the shortest trading sections ever. At least you fulfilled their dying wish ♥

What the unholy husk.

The Osprey should be dead

Wait, the merchants survived being immersed in lava? I'm impressed.

Good? that our tavern is popular. Though I suppose whips are massively less effective against [NOPAIN]

I didn't know non-dwarves could get ghosts.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 06, 2016, 11:27:33 am »

Dammit, the legendary rutherer got husked! That thing killed over a hundred undead if my count is correct.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 06, 2016, 04:16:36 pm »

I was an overseer once or twice in Horrorfailed, but I probably won't have time for that in the foreseeable future, so can I instead be dorfed, please?

Name: Silverlock
Occupation: Whatever is handy.  Something warriorish would be nice, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Thanks!
SL
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 52