Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 134020 times)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #540 on: October 14, 2016, 11:01:57 am »

Quick update:

Summer is done, I've been waiting for photobucket to not be down so I can upload screenshots, but clearly that is not happening. Too invested at the moment to switch to imgur but we'll see. I hope things clear up tomorrow, if not I'll just do a text update tomorrow.

I've cleared out the living quarters of all undead, well technically it was a combination of visitors running the "initiation rites" of fighting their way through the undead gauntlet and me building cage traps under other undead. So it might be a good idea to let those 2 living dwarves in for now. There are still other undead sealed off in the tunnels and caves. We've got 2 applications for citizenship, unfortunately only 1 survived. A bunch of visitors came to visit, of these, none of them made it through the gauntlet (you see, you have to run the gauntlet twice, once when you visit, the second time when you leave). However, 2 visitors from before my turn started managed to make it off the map. I hope they spread the news and help attract more visitors cause with the death count, that's probably the only way we'll be receiving "migrants". I've begun gathering steel arms and armor from topside so everyone can get dressed in steel. Can't get tavern to work despite assigning tavernkeeper, booze stockpiles and mug stockpiles. Silverlock was dwarfed as the living miner dwarf.

TLDR: no one we cared about died.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 14, 2016, 11:07:25 am »

Is there anybody we care about? I think there's nobody more valuable than the books and culture in bloodyhells.

Still, nice that we can get some people to survive now. Slow deathspiral would be kind of a whimper.

Dunno what things photobucket has to keep one using it - accounts? I usually don't make those for image sharing.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 14, 2016, 11:13:26 am »

Well I mean I agree with the books and culture, but the most (and let's face it the only) valuable book in our possession is now gone, everything else is more or less amateur drivel. The only way we can recreate that knowledge is all stored up here (raps knuckles at noggin). So a certain degree of self preservation and some nudging to get peeps to start writing about the secrets of life and death would be nice.

Meh, mostly its because most of my DF stuff is all stored on photobucket and migrating all that stuff elsewhere would be such a pain.

edit: Am i supposed to dorf Andreus, Arthropleura and Evaris as well?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:18:39 am by Zuglarkun »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 15, 2016, 12:11:47 am »

Yeah, dorf them if they haven't been already.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 15, 2016, 01:00:46 pm »

Zuglarkun's Log:

At first I was rather apprehensive about this whole undead business, but overall I think we are better off for it. I think Goden put it best when I asked asked him about how it feels like being part of
Spoiler: the undead. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spish, (click to show/hide)
and I should venture the better part of us few left, share the same sentiments as well. Its clear that we've been left to our own devices, so what do we have to fear from the threat of a death sentence by an absentee king when we've become the very thing that the dwarven kingdom seeks to stamp out from this plane of existence?

I mean its true that we start losing some of our more dwarfish tendencies over time. Like the urge
But then you realize you don't need such trappings and you are much better of being part of the undead. I especially like the way
Spoiler: Lebo put it, (click to show/hide)
"- and then in unlife when you become a necromancer, you realize you can just start raising minions to do all the work for you."

What can I say really? We are all just prisoners here, of our own device.

2nd Hematite 307
Well, if you want to petition for work, run the gauntlet of undead and prove your worth!

By Tarem's Beard. You took out the 3 undead on our
Spoiler: doorstep (click to show/hide)

Isman Trickskey, I take my words back. You are worthy of application, now head on in and be mindful of the undead ducks lest you get embroiled in a battle with a truly worthy foe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The remaining 2 dwarves decided to put the ewe to the fire, unfortunately the claystone bridge, built with claystone mechanisms went up in flame as well. Iden the miner resigns herself to pulling on the lever until all the magma is smashed.

6th Hematite 307
Spoiler: Isman (click to show/hide)
is engaging the ducks instead of enjoying herself in the tavern. Oh well your loss. I've had some mugs and goblets moved in the tavern and assigned Balnash as tavern keeper.

Because of that duck corpse fighting moron, Quabu (whom got gelded btw), mayor Shorast is now eternally stuck in a
Spoiler: time loop (click to show/hide)
that waiting for something that will probably never come to pass. The rest of the populace is busy with stockpiling various goods, finishing the roof over the entryway that leads to our trade depot and other stuff. Of course, no one is enjoying it especially after

16th Hematite 307
were caught in freakish weather while constructing a roof topside.

After a quick examination, Flame deduces that it was an acute case of
Spoiler: acrid slime sickness. (click to show/hide)
Though there is no acrid slime anywhere on their bodies to be seen. Personally I suspect this Ryukan to be a hypochondriac. An examination of his health history pretty much confirms my suspicions.

Hold up, we have
Spoiler: petitions available? (click to show/hide)
Wasn't Shorast occupied with-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh. Someone finally got off their ass to install the cage traps huh?

Well, welcome abroad
Spoiler: mercernary Quabu! (click to show/hide)
Seems the "training" has paid off, I'm sorry about your geldables, you'll recover someday! We drafted Quanbu into the night guard.

Spriggans and Lebo got a case of the
Spoiler: acrid slime sickness. (click to show/hide)
Yeah, ok I see you guys went ahead and dipped your entire face in acrid slime.

DON'T YOU HAVE ANY REGARD FOR YOUR HEALTH? WHAT ARE YOU? ELVES?

AHHHHHH PANIC!!!! EVERYONE PANIC!!!!!! GET IT OFF OF ME!!!!!!! GET THIS SLIME OFF OF ME!!!

She reassures me that she is much more familiar with this situation and that the slime is fairly harmless. She prescribes a good scrubbing down, in other words

20th Hematite

Quabu that doofus went ahead to pickup equipment from the surface. (I unforbid some weapons, cancelling the job was too late, quanbu went ahead anyway.)

Quabu dodges and weaves around the donkey corpse, but attracts attention from the yak bull corpse up top. He does fairly well until he dodges into a pool of lava that has yet to cool.
So RIP Quabu, we hardly knew ye.

Tekkud Vabokulzest, the Dwarf dancer necromancer
here in Bloodyhells. Well seems like you've already accustomed yourself to how things go about here. Approved.
Spoiler: Welcome aboard Tekkud! (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately I'm unable to assign her to the tavern as entertainer, so I sent her to the forges instead since she liked battle axes. I hope that inspires her to make a nice battle axe for us in the future.

25th Hematite
After much persuasion that it can be done, the triple wide ramp connecting us to the outside was constructed along with the trade depot.

1st Malachite
Spoiler: Shalo, (click to show/hide)
a goblin pikeman is visiting. I would warn the fella against his lust for action, but hey suit yourself. We provide battle 24/7, just run the gauntlet.

Spoiler: Shalo (click to show/hide)
ventures near the now open trade depot complex, spots the lovely undead hanging around our doorstep and decides it was a good idea to test his pike on these foes.

The pikeman stabs the donkey corpse in the head,
Spoiler: taking it out. (click to show/hide)
But the yak bull returns the favor. Thank you for taking out one undead, unfortunately that's all your worth. Sorry!

5th Malachite

Goods news everyone, the trade depot is
Spoiler: up and running (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately, Shebi the goblin hammerman has decided that he had enough of this place, and proceeds to leave. Well bad timing there, a yak bull corpse and a fast approaching cloud of nefarious fog to the south stand in
Spoiler: his way. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The fight (click to show/hide)
drags on for awhile as the fog sails past on its way northwards, however the scuffle has attracted the attention of 2 ogre corpses on the surface.

It is as this moment that Shebi decides it is an appropriate time to
Spoiler: lose his shit. (click to show/hide)
Damn it, at this rate there will be no one to spread the word of how awesome an establishment we are running. And of course, we get more
Spoiler: obstacles (click to show/hide)
in our mandatory undead obstacle course for visitors (and departing visitors).

I guess that is just more encouragement to stay on and apply for citizenship!

And now Isman is trying to leave. I wonder how that is
Spoiler: working out for him? (click to show/hide)

Oh great, and now the undead ogres are onto
Spoiler: Edem, (click to show/hide)
whom is also leaving. Well Edem takes out the named ogre but the corpse of Shebi gets resurrected and joins the battle. Oh wow, Edem takes out the other ogre as well, there might still be a glimmer of hope for her. As far as I can tell, she is yet unscathed. And the corpse of Shebi is put down also. But can Edem take out Atraenil, dashedcleaned the rotten yak bull corpse?

Nothing to see here. Its a clean sweep, with nary a scratch on Edem, whom has earned her freedom. You are welcome back anytime!

In case it wasn't apparent, Edem had been fighting a undead turkey hen head skin while locked behind a locked mason's workshop all this time. I had the mason's workshop dismantled and had a cage trap built underneath the turkey skin. While this was going on, the only other undead to wander around our fortress, Ramet Itniostsi Halirpuja Racon wandered in and tried to fight her too. Well I walked into the room to check and the remains of
Spoiler: Ramet (click to show/hide)
laid on the floor, with the unkillable turkey head skin caught in a cage trap in a corner of the room. Well, I suppose we "train" supersoldiers now with our rigorous undead training program. I hope Edem Slidworks makes it out of here safely and spreads the word. Also, we can finally reclaim the statues for placement in the temples. Hooray for danger room alternatives!

2nd Galena
Spoiler: The Ghost (click to show/hide)
of Sanctume has been
Spoiler: put to rest. (click to show/hide)
Everyone is busy gathering weapons, armor and other stuff from the wreckage upside. Its taking a long time since we are only 19 strong. (2 normal dwarves are stuck in another enclosure.) Also the upper enclosure for the trade depot is
Spoiler: ready. (click to show/hide)
At the very least it will ward off the acrid slime rain as well as the vile husking fog.

7th Galena

We've got another
Spoiler: visitor... (click to show/hide)
Tawki, a human bow woman. Not sure if she'll be able to make it past the remaining elf corpse on our doorstep. Ohh hold on, a buck rabbit corpse has accosted her. OK, one rabbit down, and... she took down the elf corpse in one shot.

24th Galena
We released
Spoiler: Catten the dancer (click to show/hide)
back into the wild after a long time in imprisonment. I hope she spreads the news of the homeliness of our taverns, and the potency of our booze.

27th Galena
Spoiler: Tode Felluki, (click to show/hide)
goblin hammerman has come to visit.

Autumn has come.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 01:07:43 pm by Zuglarkun »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 15, 2016, 02:02:52 pm »

Awesome update!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 16, 2016, 02:04:58 am »

+1

The wholesale slavery and brutal training of our visitors seems like something we should have already been doing intentionally.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 12:24:50 pm by Crashmaster »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 16, 2016, 02:24:39 pm »

Wow.
I am dorfed, and I'm a necromancer ? xD
Looks like I have some readings to do to catch up :P
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 17, 2016, 05:38:05 am »

I'm impressed how clean the font looks on those screenshots. It's pretty zoomed in, I suppose, but still.

Very aggressive goblin. Opposed to unlife.

Mayor necromancer sounds cool.

Yay, two evil biomes. Rains and husks. After so many years of acrid slime rain, how's the fps?

Geldables can be healed by our doctors? Or is that just animated? At least they're a legend

Goblin-cap beds look sinister.

Oh well, so much for legendary merc.

*amused* at dwarf dancer necromancer.

Migrants....:S I guess tavern is important.

Are those ogre corpses buildingdestroyers still? I guess not, but yikes.

....Almost every visitor seems to die. Such an undead deathtrap. Well, as long as 3 can leave...It is ok.

This draining only really works for goblins, I think. Other races needing to drink and all.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 20, 2016, 01:50:50 pm »

Quick update and notes:

Necromancers make surprisingly excellent haulers in undead infested terrain. Huh, who knew. The undead practically ignore them.

So I got the tavern to work. Turns out necromancers aren't able to serve drinks. Go figure. That also makes the 2 living dwarves we have very VALUABLE when it comes down to providing satisfaction for the masses. I hope future overseers pick up on this and try to protect them as much as possible.

This does create a conundrum however. For I suspect necromancers won't pick up the scholar or scribe jobs, so that means we might never be able to replicate the secrets of life and death. One can still hold on to hope though.

Also, I'm getting all the undead we captured in the cages pitted into the magma sea. Turns out, undead (husked or otherwise) are pretty docile in the hands of a necromancer.

Also in response to Fleeting Frames, no the geldables thing was kind of a joke. They can't be healed and I don't suppose we'll be getting reanimated geldables anytime soon. As for the FPS, I play with it turned off since it interferes with the screenshots, but a quick check reveals I am getting around 20+ close to thirty FPS. Your mileage might vary though.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 20, 2016, 02:46:03 pm »

Everyone being dead is pretty good for FPS.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 20, 2016, 03:21:10 pm »

A bunch of deadbeats would not bother hauling or finding meals and drinks.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 20, 2016, 04:55:20 pm »

No I mean the fact that we have like 20 dwarves. Everyone else is corpses. And most aren't the walking kind.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 20, 2016, 05:20:22 pm »

As delightful as your updates have been, it's time we moved things along. I'll give you the rest of the weekend to wrap up your turn and upload the save (or whenever the next player is ready).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:12:30 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 20, 2016, 07:05:18 pm »

Ah. Pity about the geldables. I've read adventure mode stories where they've been used as weapon.

Also pity about the necromancers. Playable FPS, though with 20 dwarves you'd expect more :v (it's the rooms and clutter isn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 52