Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 132726 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #585 on: November 18, 2016, 08:32:56 pm »

Any progress mate? It's about time we moved on...
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #586 on: November 19, 2016, 11:13:28 pm »

The curse has struck, but I can play now. I think.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #587 on: November 21, 2016, 04:43:52 pm »

If somebody wants to grab it now, by all means, but I will have time in a few days. I won't mind if you move on though, but I've kind of killed this thread, soooo....
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 27, 2016, 06:31:36 am »

So, did you have time to play? I'm next in line, so I was wondering whether or not I'd grab the fort.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 27, 2016, 11:56:51 am »

Go for it mate. Dozebom has taken more than 3 weeks to update us on the situation, so I'm skipping him at this point either way.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 27, 2016, 12:54:18 pm »

Righto. Assuming Zuglarkun's save is the most recent one, that's the one I DL'ed just to check out how big of a clusterfuck the fort is this time.

And oh my dear god, is it a clusterfuck. I'll try to get something done tomorrow. Write a bit, screenshots, the usual. Assuming that I figure out how anything works down there, because oh god the things I saw.

EDIT: I got hit by a surprise work gig for Tuesday evening, and as I got work to do on Wednesday, I guess... Expect the first update by Thursday? I will try really fucking hard, I swear to me god damn mum.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:24:57 am by Lebo »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 30, 2016, 10:04:11 pm »

You have 25:55:50.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 01, 2016, 11:20:57 am »

Well shit, fuck work and responsibilities then, IT'S TIME TO PLAY!

...oh god this FPS. This really takes me back to the last time I played in the *fail fort series.Truly the sign of a good fortress when the population is in the 20s and time is crawling slowly.

Journal of Lebo Whipsharks, the designated Overseer of Bloodyhells in Armoks year 308.

One would think that with the promise of eternity, life wouldn't seem so bad. You know, what with the lack of death that tends to be rumored to go around necromancers, all that "mastery of life AND death" talk and all.

But you'd be wrong.

To this day I'm not sure exactly how one is appointed an Overseer in Bloodyhells, is it by merit? Lottery? Or does one just get tossed the big bag of responsibility and get told "don't get us all killed, even with the fact that most of us are necromancers."

Oh I remember it like it was yesterday, when all I did was open up a book and be a bit unsettled by the most upsetting writings. Dried ink that seemed to squirm and writhe the more I read. All things considered, it was a good book, a proper work of fiction, I thought.

The dreams that followed weren't so great. All those whispers from the darkness. Promises of eternity, instructions so quiet that they crawled into the deepest crevices of your mind rather than heard by your ears. It hasn't been that bad, I guess, what resulted. To just one day wake up and realize you can create life, or well, unlife as has been the case around Bloodyhells even before the epidemic of necromancy has been a most interesting experience.

I guess not all take it as well though. Poor Evaris looks stressed out of their mind.

Hard work to carry all that wood from the outside indoors. And now that I got told to be the boss, I don't know exactly how well everyone took it when I gave my first order.

"Fuck the surface."

As far as I'm concerned, we dwarves are meant to stay underground. Nothing good ever came from up above! Just look at elves. And goblins. And all the undead up there before we even got here and- anyway. Well, humans aren't so bad, most of the time, but still! We got enough problems down here already, anyway.

Time to start my tour, I guess. I don't really know Bloodyhells, more like I wander through the maze-like fortress that we have made for some gods awful reason or another. Or maybe more than one reason. I can't really remember, to be honest, I'm just a humble glassmaker after all.

Second entry, the days have lost all meaning, year 308.

I can see why people are stressed out around here, walking through the myriad of paths of Bloodyhells is apparently a quite realistic metaphor for the eternal nightmare that many have begun to comprehend their lives to have become. I mean, an eternity without booze?

Here is but a small piece of the layout we have become accustomed with around here. I cannot remember for the life or death of me what purpose all these paths were for, the rooms, and best of all, all those corpses. I guess when you are a part of the living, a death is a tragedy. Obtain immortality, it's a statistic. I mean we have it right here on paper.

Even the local creature activity tends to be on the non-living side. Over a hundred of shambling corpses have been reported to be around here and there. Trapped in cages, plaguing the caverns, outside aboveground... Not to mention that one husk that has been trapped. It too isn't too happy about its current situation in its continued existence after its own transformation from the living to... That.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many more horrific things, but what's the difference between one reanimated corpse or bodypart and another anymore?

But yes, my order! I hear Flame, Puzzlebark and Spish are still slowly making their way down from Up There after I told to just leave the gods damned logs and whatever they were thinking about carrying down.

Here's something nice. A display of our current situation. I can only guess now that someone didn't like the realization of their newly found ability to sustain themselves without alcohol all that well.

I closed and sealed the door myself. No one should have to see that sight ever again, if you ask me. And I spent a hour or so just crawled up in a ball in the middle of all that spilled alcohol. I don't know if people dislike me smelling of old booze, or if it's causing traumatic flashbacks from the good old days. But I digress. The plan!

What to do, what to do? I see so many worried faces around here. And so many who don't want to show how things are stressing them out. You'd think that with a fort as small as ours, we would be one happy family, but I fear we are looking at a happy explosion of blood and guts at this rate.

Well that, or incineration, I guess. Good riddance, I say.

That made me feel good inside, its been a long while. I will have to ponder on this newfound happiness, and to think of a way to spread this emotion around.

Do we have any more elves to burn?

Third entry, I am pretty sure we are still on the early Granite, year 308.

"We will be legends."

My announcement for this year didn't really seem to gain all that much support from our small group. Pondering looks, outright "what the fuck is this guy spouting shit about", you know how it is when you've been given the reins to a wild horse on fire.

Things didn't really seem to improve all that much after I expanded on my statement.

"We here today are the lucky ones. The strong ones. Those with the talent and ability to survive. And all things considered, we will continue to survive. Exist, for quite a long while."

It was a pretty good speech in my opinion. I stayed up all night writing it. Well, I stay up all night all of the time these days, but again, I digress.

"Now we could continue being miserable like a lot of us like to do for our spare time these days..."

I even managed to keep my composure through the random outburst of "You mean we have anything else to do around here except haul crap?" The dramatic pause was a nice touch in my opinion as well.

"Or we could do something else."

"Like what?" was the obvious shout. I straightened myself, looked all of them straight in the eye and then said it out loud.

"I always wanted to be a weaponsmith."

Spoiler: Lebos preferences. (click to show/hide)
I let that sink in for a while. I had already managed to make myself quite the craftsmaster in glassmaking, after all. And then after yet another dramatic pause, I pointed my finger at Dorito, who was inspecting their pick handle, probably waiting for this meeting to be over with.

"Dorito! What do you like?"

*insert missing screenshot of timely line from Dorito saying "I have been contemplating suicide."*
"No, no! What do you like?"

Spoiler: Doritos preferences. (click to show/hide)
"Weaponsmith!" I said out loud, and then pointed at Arthropleura.

"What do you like?"

"Weaponsmith for you as well! This is my proposal. For all we know, we have an eternity in front of us. So why stay as we are? Why keep the craft we knew and have done just because we were good at it? Why not start trying something new? It's not like we don't have the time, ha!"

I don't know if they really appreciated my joke. Or how I told them to hand over a list of their likes and dislikes by the end of the day. But on that day, the end of my first week, I felt myself already quite an accomplished Overseer. And assuming we get trade going, we can show the whole world how our craftsmen change, evolve, and change again! Not jacks of all trades, but masters of them all! I was reminded how not everyone wasn't blessed / cursed with immortality, but just to be fair and not exclude anyone, I told Silverlock to hand in their papers as well. I'd be handing out their new jobs by the early next morning. Or evening. Before a day has passed, I think. My grip on the passing of time has changed drastically after that book. On the bright side, someone did decide to ask for more information. I like that. Makes me feel like people are invested.

"What about our current jobs?"

They didn't really seem to like it when I paused for a second, thought about it and said I didn't really give a shit, just as long as they'd follow their dreams / my orders for new jobs instead of their old-fashioned obligations or whatever drove them to their chosen path in employment.

Now, how the hell do you smelt ore and even make a crossbow?

Fourth entry, year 308.

Wow, so many people wanted to be weaponsmiths, or blacksmiths or even metalcrafters! We need more room for all these smelters to get people started!

Well that, and we only have about 300 bars of metal in the fortress right now. We can always get more, I know. Mine some, melt some of the mountains of crap we have around here... But for now, we need better facilities to let people do what they should have been doing.

Fifth entry, year 308.

Oh how I loathe to write this down... Elves have arrived, to trade. Give them some baubles, and get them off my hair.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:25:31 am by Lebo »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 01, 2016, 01:17:19 pm »

Nice update! Also, I vaguely remember old Bilalo, I think he got husked during my turn.

Anyway, it's good to know my dwarf is still alive and well. She might be one of the most long-lived Flames, which is certainly impressive given that this is a fucking Battlefailed sequel.

EDIT: Wow, I forgot she was a founder, even. She's the longest-lived dwarf in the fort!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:04:09 pm by TheFlame52 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 02, 2016, 12:14:59 am »

- Heh. Your suffering amuses me.

And oh is there suffering. What stresses them so much, the lack of booze?

Yeah, the fortress is a maze that lets invaders in and keeps overseers out. Is that so bad?

- I like the colorful tunnels. Though depot is missing. The paths were for the purpose of trading without having caravans nommed by dead.

And levr rooms and aquifer pierces.

- How the hell did that much alcohol get spilled? It's like someone put booze stockpile on deadly cold surface, and the surface we have is just deadly.

- Heh, elf miners. Sucks to be them, I guess.

- Hm, weaponsmithing...But can corpses pick up weapons without wrestling?

- What's the FPS like, anyway?

And remember, when you spend most of the time paused it isn't as bad as it seems.

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 02, 2016, 02:16:56 am »

There are a lot of stress factors, no booze, some have unemployment, lack of martial art, missing their family and friends yadda yadda.

Also I guess all the corpses. Maybe mainly the corpses. I should check what DF was like in 42.06 again, if there was any outstanding bug to ruin my future plans. Anyway... The depot in the map is missing, yes, there's another one where the elves are at right now.

The FPS is somewhere below 10 FPS right now. At least it gives me time to think of what the fuck happened around here, and there, and pretty much everywhere in the fort. You can't go down one established level without finding something that raises questions, I mean I did keep up with the fort and its shenanigans, but after the unfortunate pause between updates and me, I may have forgotten a lot of things.

I'm not sure if I want to read up either, I sort of prefer the fucked up mystery which is Bloodyhells.

At the very best I should find out where the entrance bridge levers are.

For reasons.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 02, 2016, 03:27:11 am »

Good lord. 10 FPS at 20 dwarves?

The underground depot quagmire levers are on that screenshot (and few more, but mostly that z). I once ran a test embark tunneling up beneath aquifer to seize control of the room and atomsmash zombiesplosion, before dwarves were all necromancers. They were designed by Sanctume, so they're all properly Noted.

Otherwise, DFHack's Ctrl+M for gui/mechanisms can be helpful.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 02, 2016, 06:54:06 am »

Ahhh I see someone finally managed to get around to carrying out those pit caged prisoner jobs I had queued up. Burnt elf is the best kind of elf.

At the very best I should find out where the entrance bridge levers are.

For reasons.

Do you mean the ones for the gates on the surface? (shift+f1)
I made a lever room (shift+f4) for those.

Everywhere else is already sealed up so you need only worry about that particular entrance for access from the surface. If you want to make weapons, (shift+f7) will bring you to a relatively safe cache of adamantine deposits. I've also been unforbidding iron ores (at least I remembered doing so) that were forbidden and abandoned before my tenure so you should be good on that front (88 hematite last i checked and we also have hematite deposits in the soils layers). I don't know about flux stone though, I haven't seen any of it on the map...

I'm not sure if I want to read up either, I sort of prefer the fucked up mystery which is Bloodyhells.

I'll save you the trouble, the parts of the fort that were dug out in sand/soil were pretty much abandoned when I got the save. The only things of interest there now are the trade depot that I built and the hospital (to the left of the room with all the spilled booze). The only portions of the fortress you need to concern yourself with are the immediate areas around and above the magma forges. That is unless you want to reclaim some of the stuff that is left abandoned in those tunnels near the surface, then by all means go ahead.

Don't bother with FPS, this is a Battlefailed fort and you're a necromancer now. I suggest turning off the counter and just unlive with it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:00:56 am by Zuglarkun »

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 07, 2016, 05:33:30 pm »

Yeah, for many reasons I am currently going through a state of unliving myself. Work, responsibilities, had to move, was welcomed by a firealarm, you know. The good stuff. Sort of slowed me down from continuing.

THE CURSE IS REAL, HOLY SHIT!

Anyway... Onwards with the game again, I see I have up to Sunday by normal schedule, so I will keep on trucking. Although I will say in advance that depending on the possible slowness of my updates, if somehow I haven't made it to Winter by Sunday I will just toss the save forward as is so we can keep the train going. Next week will be a busy one for me as well, so yeah.

ANYWAY..

Sixth entry. Year 308, must still be Granite if the elves are here.

The renewal of the broken spirit of Bloodyhells, as I have come to call the undergoing project (which to my dismay has not yet catched on) is not going as well as I'd like. People are still looking sour like they found a goblin horde in their bedroom. Which wouldn't really surprise me if that was the case behind one of the many sealed areas we have.

At least one good thing happened, an incident was brought to my attention just the other day, a positive one considering how it could have ended. Senshuken had closed themselves in a Mechanics workshop, and tinkered together quite a fine looking mechanism, if I had to say so myself.

Then again, I have been known to overestimate the value of things. Such as the meaning of life, time to time.

I began to ponder such things again after I heard that the damn elves were getting tired of waiting, and found our trader feverishly praying to the gods. So what is an Overseer to do but handle things and drag someone else to the depot to trade?

Utter rubbish, that's what the elves brought. Not that surprising. I mean, just look at this.

I don't care how well made, exotic and valuable these strings are, I wouldn't wear them even if it'd rid me of this eternal-

What do you mean not that kind of strings? Fine, whatever. Just give them all this crap around the depot area for, I don't know. Clay, what do we need their fruits and berries for, damn it?

Turns out we weren't quite picky what we were giving to the elves. Apparently there was some wooden trinket or whatever, as they got all huffed up and just left. Fine, be like that. At least I don't have to hear their whining anymore. "Oh it's so damp here! Oh, so dark! Is this blood, vomit or both that I stepped on?"

Seventh entry. Year 308, I heard it's nice and summery up above, why the fuck was some up above?

Who would have known that my reign would be tarnished by two different problems, first one being that my mandate to follow your heart hasn't produced results to this day, or that someone was hanging out near the gate and ran back in with a terrible holler.

I immediately asked our military commander the status of our military forces. He pointed at the rest of the room the entire fort had gathered at, mentioning worryingly few in the actual military, and reminding me who were in the citizens militia.

By the tone of their voice, I figured it meant things were bad. Well, let us face this as dwarves. Pull the lever!

Eighth entry. Year 308. I can hear its footsteps.

It really is a thing of wonder. Tunem, I mean. How can something made of coral command such respect and fear by simply existing? The good news are that we managed to close the gates before Tunem made it inside. The bad news are that we are now trapped. I wonder though... We did have a lever to flood the surface with magma somewhere, didn't we?

Does coral burn?

Ninth entry. Year 308, I can hear the molten rock above.

It's been a while now after we pulled those levers and started to flood the surface with lava. Probably better to let it spread nice and even before we send anyone to scout the area and see if Tunem is burnt away.

Shame about all those logs though, but we can always just cut down shrooms.

Well, things are very slowly going about. Mining some ore here and there to fuel the furnaces. Watching a quarter of our population pray in the temples like it'd make them better. Flooding the world with magma.

The usual. Not a lot of screenshot worthy stuff though. Sorry about that. 4th month almost over now. Hopefully will get some actually interesting before the end of my turn. I guess I will find out if coral burns. Alternatively, Tunem takes a dip in the sea before that and is sealed below the obsidian crust. Maybe I will even get all of this done by Sunday!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:22 pm »

This fort and its horrible titans. How many titans are left in the world?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 52