Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 134333 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #675 on: January 22, 2017, 04:22:16 pm »

Looks like we might be running out of players sooner than expected. I opened the map in DF43.05 to see if it worked. It did, but... uh... 4 FPS. That doesn't bode well.

Gonna hold off on PMing the Master until I see if there's anything that can be done about it.

I'm sick as hell, so I'm formley passing my turn; and I'm not enjoying playing it. I can probably DFHack it back into usability, but my success rate at fortress resurrection is pretty low. Deleting all the units and running the fix-heat stabilization patch might help somewhat. I'm somewhat disappointed I still haven't managed to take a turn in one of these trainwrecks, but its not worth the time to do sometime you won't enjoy or benefit from.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 24, 2017, 08:25:32 am »

@NCommander: uploading whatever you did with fixing migration doesn't hurt, I suppose - hope it was kept in 42.06, though?
Looks like we might be running out of players sooner than expected.
I considered claiming the save when NCommander posted, as I expect The Master to not come back after 6 months and Imic to be busy, but I got stomach flu and had to deal with concurrent three birthdays right after. It's Battlefailed, I suppose.

On the "more players" side, Imic managed to give up their turn in their own succession due save corruption, so they might be ready to play.

And 4 FPS, yeesh. That's lower than I've ever seen barring FPS draining bugs like pet-locked passable doors.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:27:27 am by Fleeting Frames »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #677 on: January 26, 2017, 12:36:56 am »

@NCommander: uploading whatever you did with fixing migration doesn't hurt, I suppose - hope it was kept in 42.06, though?
Looks like we might be running out of players sooner than expected.
I considered claiming the save when NCommander posted, as I expect The Master to not come back after 6 months and Imic to be busy, but I got stomach flu and had to deal with concurrent three birthdays right after. It's Battlefailed, I suppose.

On the "more players" side, Imic managed to give up their turn in their own succession due save corruption, so they might be ready to play.

And 4 FPS, yeesh. That's lower than I've ever seen barring FPS draining bugs like pet-locked passable doors.

I can post the start save with the migrants fixed, though I never got far enough to know if it actually worked but 3k was (IMHO) the limit as high as it could go before the mountainhomes decided too much shit was dead.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 26, 2017, 12:39:33 am »

Yeah, yeah. You do that.

Meanwhile, I'm PMing Imic; I know they've been on forums, so...

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 26, 2017, 02:10:31 am »

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
HERE I COME!
I have no diea what's going on in the fort right now.
LET'S GO!!!

I got it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh. My god.
What have you monsters created.

I am dorfing myself, by the way.

My old dugout is still there. I'm making it a farm now.

Hmmm... Or undead storage, maybe.

wait, What?
Why is all of that stuff there?

Okay, maybe they can't get there. huh. I think we may have built ourselves a home deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep underground. Huh.

It's really laggy, So I'm just going to make our little home... better. just better.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:42:54 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 26, 2017, 06:40:04 am »

[ So many doors in that first screenshots.

Doors are life. Not unlike all the necromancers. And Silverlock, I suppose?

How's the alcohol withdrawal?

[ I never figured out the purpose of that dugout, you know. Too flat for a fortress, too criss-crossing for a trap.

I guess it is overgrown, after 9 years.

[ Don't understand the significance of tthe patterns you drew for engraving.

Are those ducks alive or dead in that last screenshot?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 26, 2017, 06:54:23 pm »

Man good luck with that. I can't even imagine playing an entire year on a 3FPS fort.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 27, 2017, 12:35:37 am »

It involves a lot of doing other things while you wait.

The real horror is how slowly a small number of alcohol deprived necromancers get things done.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 27, 2017, 09:43:04 am »

This is one of the slowest forts I have ever seen. And that's saying so ething.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 28, 2017, 02:26:42 am »

I can not play this. This is just as slow as Gloomdiamonds, but there's less to do. I give in. I only did twelve days, so there's no point in giving up the save.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

DoritioMaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker for the Lols
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 28, 2017, 09:36:54 pm »

Oh goodness. Only one more must fall to the Battlefailed curse before my turn. Also, I think I died at some point? Did anyone catch how that happened?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 29, 2017, 05:03:47 pm »

*looks around*

Neat toxic green color.

First, none of this is canon. Still, FPS is worth analysing, given what happened with last two overseers....

13z to 115z? I guess this map is on the thicker side. 192x192x103 tiles.

Running.......6-7 FPS on load.

Spoiler: Wait a sec... (click to show/hide)

I notice the "Detail wall" commands, so d-xing the entire map....brings no FPS improvement.

Running exterminate on all but dwarves...Interestingly pauses the game when the nefarious poets vanish. Still considered dwarves, indeed.

Slight FPS improvement, staying longer on 7s than 6s.

At this point, my main suspect is something like aquifer endlessly filling water in somewhere.

Utilizing liquids plugin to seal 100 to 13z in obsidian....
....Solid 7 FPS.

Also reveals some mid-air blood piles in caverns.

Items, then? ...Ah, fuck, lets autodump-destroy whole map. 11317 items gone later....Still 7 FPS.

Clean all snow mud......Still 7 FPS.

Finding that earlier cleaning missed some items, I dbc dbd autodump-destroy...7-8 FPS, leaning on 8, with 4980 items destroyed. 

Interesting that forbidden items were bigger sources of lag?

But still, some items remain.

cleanconst cleans up 1282 items...

Then, retiring all locations, running fix/dead-units for -2529 active units (a number creater than the number of units in all four unit lists) and restarting with temp and weather off...

8-9 FPS, leaning on 8.

Okay. Exterminating all dwarves who have job, and undead once again...That is, 7 citizens of 19.

9-10 FPS, almost entirely 10.

I think there's a broken caravan, btw, given how some meat

Zombie forts eat brains, right Urist? We're gonna be rich!

zoom in at the edge of the map

Spoiler: dissmising them, then (click to show/hide)

This might have also been cause of no migrants, btw.

(Side note: I don't recall anybody saying that they restricted this burrow:
)

Further removing...

9-10 FPS, when running on default 85x25 small terminal.

I don't think there's anything more I can do....

...Wait a sec.

Just caged ones, these 17

*runs reveal hell*

Meep.

[DFHack]# exterminate Undead
slain 190 undeads
[DFHack]# exterminate CAVE_FLOATER
slain 2  CAVE_FLOATER
[DFHack]# unreveal

10-11 FPS, after that.

One last trick, then.

*retires*

*unretires*

Wow, the two-week embark period is slow - something like 3 seconds per day.

210 FPS!

In conclusion: WTF what the bloody hell ate the FPS?

I was getting 50 FPS on an earlier variant of the fort without removing all or almost all pathing, temperature, weather, fluids, creatures, jobs and items.

In any case, I blame this bug

Bit late here atm. But I certainly shall welcome the toxic green overlords!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 29, 2017, 09:31:33 pm »

So it's fixable? That's quite the relief.

Edit: Yeah, after a reclaim the fortress is actually playable now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:58:45 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 30, 2017, 06:42:47 pm »

Mayor Shorast Darosdastot sighs

She came to Bloodyhells to make friends, to find love, to lead a fun and slow-going life. The Garlic o' Vipers sounded like an ideal place to master the art of telling naughty and beautiful limerics

Now?

'Well, I certainly am slow-going, here.'

'Am I having fun, though? '

"Better not think about the no longer living." she mutters and shouts "Hey, Paddleroast! Get over here and pop a hole. Lets crush some undead."

To understand the above events, lets go back a bit:

"Alright! I'm going to serve this fortress well!" declares Imic Udilgeshud, and promptly drops into a well.

Needless to say, some whispered that the fortress was cursed, that the weight of Aluonra itself decided to strike them down at the very moment they tried to steer it.
Shorast naturally realized where this was going, and futilely tried to avert it's course.

"Hey, can I trust you to provide lady a roof, NCommander Roofglaze? "

"Oh no, I couldn't do that. My room's a mess and it is not like I have a close lady." deflects Cilobfikod.

"Oh, you wound me! But you wouldn't need to worry about that, Roofie; With your skill with pick and strong muscles, you can carve a new room every day! Mayoral approval. So how about some qui pro quo?"

"I-"

"-must go. My fortress needs me."

Fuming, Shorust looks around.

The outpost liaison arrived too far from the caravan guards, who were blocked from helping by merchants.
Only once the merchants made to flee did they get to show their prowess, but by then it was too late.

Impressive, but futile prowess.

All hail the Savanna Titan Bone Surgeon

But lets return to slightly before these ghastly events, dear reader.

Shorast feels a poking in her side. Putting down the blocks in her hand, she turns around to see Evaris Notchtin.

"I'm fine with you leading us in more than poetry. Don't really know anybody here well. I hope you have a plan, though?" asks the lithe and young seamstress from the mayor. 

"Actually. I do. I feel like all the dwarves I've seen here have been under some kind of influence. I think we should take time to cleanse our bodies and minds, and match the land's current and natural state."

"Hm, some kind of nature worship? Di-" needles Notchtin.

"No." slaps Shorast her away. "The nature of this land is wicked. I hope that our cleansing rituals can cleanse it, or at least help me lift this fog from my mind."

"I doubt you can succeed, but worth trying at least. What do you need?"

"Well, for starters, you can help me nail down the few more valuable pieces we have. "

"Here, this...Well, I suppose near staircase is good enough for now."

"Oh, and try to ask someone about setting up these mechanisms" hands the mayor her seamstress a sheet.

"To be built on z93"

"Well, I'll do." and Notchtin walks off with substantially faster pace than Shorast's.

- - - - - - - -

Flame Paddledroast may not be exactly scholarly. However, the career woman understands exceedingly well her many skills, values, with sharp intuition often allowing her to leap ahead.

In such a situation, it is natural that she already guessed what approaching Shorast would want - and at Shorast's speed, it was quite a time to think.

"You want to get rid of the prisoners."

It was more of a statement than a question.

Shorast merely nodded and said. "Maximum safety, no risks - even if you may perhaps be strongest in fortress."

"Well, I suggest we start topside. Just below the surface first, there's bunch of cages piled against a door, and more in old soil layers."

"Of course, better to double-check that all openings to outside are sealed."

"Hurry up!" shouts Notchtin after Spriggans

"Afterwards, lets get of rid of them on lower areas. I know just the spot."

"Sealed tighter than sea monster's pinchers, and feeling just as hot." smiles Thorast. "Still, one more thing - could you drill few holes nearby?"

"Of course." nods Paddleroast.

The death of caravan weighted on the mind of Erib Rovodunib.

Sure, the milita commander went to stand guard, but couldn't do anything. Who would dare to stand against webber?

'Who indeed, if not me?'

"Alright, miss mayor, I have plans -"

"She's preparing a spiritual cleanup, Erib." pulls Notchtin her aside. "Dare to interrupt her?"

"I'd rather not," says Erib, "but this is important for the future contact with surface."

"Would you want my help with that?" smiles and turns the younger seamstress her tact around.

"I do not need help. I'm the manager, and skilled enough to make my ideas reality by myself if ne-"

The spirited declaration is interrupted by the needler pushing her around with "go and do it, and make it quick!"

'Make it quick, huh. Can't be very elaborate...'

Some time later near depot entrance

"Oi, Erib, lets all get together!"

"Already? But even for something so simple, it is nowhere near complete."

"Already! Half the autumn is over already."

"...Very well. At least it will be able to deal a little bit."

And the Mechanic of the fortress goes to join the rest of them in the dance circle.

That autumn, the invaders decided to mess with different dwarven civilization.
Whether this was welcome or not is not clear at current time.

PS: Oddly, artifact list had one missing claystone grate.

Spoiler: desc (click to show/hide)

Failed to zoom to it, and it wasn't built or ...Maybe in unrevealed part of map? I dunno. Well, it's not going to be found I guess.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 30, 2017, 08:11:15 pm »

Yay, an update!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52