Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Tabletop Simulator - How About A B12 Board Game Night?  (Read 11938 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Tabletop Simulator - How About A B12 Board Game Night?
« on: April 22, 2016, 11:37:08 pm »

Tabletop Simulator is a physics-based sandbox that lets you play various board and card games, up to and including the part where you get mad and flip the table, sending all the pieces flying away.

It's not immediately obvious looking at the store page just what this game is capable of.  By default it's mostly a silly physics sandbox where you can play chess or backgammon and throw the pieces around, it's also fully moddable.  You can replicate almost any board game in TTS with a little creativity and lua-fu.  Risk?  Check.  Cards Against Humanity? Check.  Catan?  Duh.  Secret Hitler? Only about fifty god damn servers of it.  And many more!  Games that are out of print, or hard to find, or crazy expensive.  A few minutes in steam workshop and you'll have a virtual shelf that'd cost you thousands of dollars in the real world if you could even find half the games.  The potential value of this game is outrageous.  Copyright issues abound but maybe due to the niche market of a lot of more serious board games only a few companies have actually taken any kind of action.

Given all that, it seems like this would be right up Bay12's alley and I'm interested in finding out if anybody would be interested in a Bay12 game night some time.  I'd be willing to create a steam group for it (Maybe I already did?  I dont' remember) if there's interest.  I also have a friend, and possibly that friend's wife, who'd be up for something.  I'll list the games I have or know down below, organized roughly by complexity.  What are you guys up for?

Guillotine:
This is one my friend showed me, a simple card game.  You play as executioners during the French Revolution.  Twelve nobles line up and at the end of each player's turn the noble at the front of the line is beheaded and added to your score pile.  Use action cards to manipulate the line and maximize your score or force the other players to behead martyrs and heroes of the people and lower their score.  A pretty fun party game that moves fast and only takes a minute to learn. Also good for learning the TTS controls.

Epic Spell Wars:
Basically Be Aggressive in card game form.  A group of wizards explode the shit out of each other with modular spells.  Combine three component cards to form a spell and resolve each of their effects in turn, claim the tower for extra points, be the last wizard standing to get a token, get two tokens to win.  Silly and a lot of fun, great art style.  2-6 players, best with at least 3.

BattleCON:
I've sort of played this and can teach the basic rules.  A card-based fighting game with pretty fun mechanics.  Combine basic moves like punch and dash with character-specific modifiers to create your attack for the turn and reveal them simultaneously to see what happens.  A few dozen characters with lots of unique mechanics and a ton of variant rules.  2-4 players but I don't know the 3+ rules so I can't teach them.

Betrayal at House on the Hill:
A group of teenagers decides to spend the night in a haunted house and all hell breaks loose.  Explore the house and gather supplies by laying down tiles to build the game map.  When the Haunt is triggered one of fifty spooky events is selected and one player becomes a traitor of some sort with a set of secret goals, while the other players have to find a way to stop them.  Haunts range from evil cultists, serial killers, flaming bats, and weirder shit.  A lot of fun, really chaotic and unpredictable.  3+ players but only really comes into its own with at least 4.

Pandemic:
A co-op game where you try to cure four simultaneous disease epidemics before they overwhelm the world.  The disease mechanics are pretty neat, disease spawn via city cards and when the pandemic intensifies the city discard pile is shuffled back onto the top of the deck so the disease tends to spread naturally instead of appearing at random all over.  Actual gameplay is weird and abstract and mostly consists of shuffling cards around to make flushes.  Somehow it works and ends up being really tense and fun.  Also lots of expansions that add additional difficulty and content but I haven't played them yet.  2-4 players.

Fury of Dracula:
A hidden movement game, similar in some aspects to Arkham and Eldritch Horror.  Dracula moves through Europe in secret, leaving monsters and vampire spawn in his wake.  Vampire spawn mature over time and eventually escape to terrorize the countryside and advance the doom counter.  Vampire Hunters have to find Dracula's trail and clear his hideouts, gathering supplies to find the big guy and put him down for good.  Hidden movement mechanics are done well and add a nice logical aspect to it.  Dracula was in this city three turns ago and he was moving west.  Which cities could he be in and how can we arrange our hunters to box him in? 2-4 players vs 1 Dracula.

Arkham Horror: 
The original Cthulhu board game.  One of the elder evils is trying to return by opening portals around Arkham.  Investigators have to make their way through the increasingly monster-infested city to gather supplies, close portals, and stop the old one's plan before it's too late.  This one's kind of showing its age.  The goals are pretty limited, you want to get clues and then close portals when you have enough clues to seal them.  Gameplay is very random and while characters are specialized to be good at certain things there's no real way to focus on those things.  If you play an old professor expect to get attacked by a shoggoth.  If you play a meathead gangster expect to have to solve the sphynx's riddle.  Etc.  2+ players

Eldritch Horror:
An updated version of Arkham Horror.  Now the entire world's in play.  There's a lot more to do in this version.  Winning is via mysteries, which are unique to each old one and vary a lot.  Characters are more distinct and with more things to do it's easier to focus on what you're good at.  Also, my favorite feature, this one has double-sided cards.  Cast a spell, then flip the card over to see what consequences your sorcery has wrought.  You found a mysterious relic in a tomb, who knows what'll happen when it reactivates?  Still very difficult, still occasionally frustrating, but overall a much better game than Arkham Horror.  2+

Mage Knight:
Technically a deckbuilder but you wouldn't notice if you weren't paying attention.  A group of extraplanar demigods invade a fantasy kingdom and have to take it over in three days.  Move across a modular map, fight monsters, and influence the natives by playing cards in a weird deckbuildery system, recruit an army, gather treasure, spells, and new techniques, and finally attack the heavily fortified cities.  Players can work together, stick to themselves, or directly attack each other as they see fit.  That dragon would be easier with some help but only one player can win at the end.  2-4 players.  WizKids isn't happy about this being on TTS so all the publicly available mods are broken.  I know a workaround though.

Kingdom Death - Monster:  Dark Souls-flavored Monster Hunter set in the eclipse from Berserk.  Hunt pseudo-AI controlled monsters to take their body parts and use them to craft gear and improve your makeshift settlement.  1-4 player co-op, no GM.  Plays surprisingly fast for a game this huge, lots of bookkeeping though.  Campaign-based but there's little need for the same players each session, and characters and gear are a shared pool.  Also kind of gross.  Tries for the uncomfortable sexuality of Giger/Aliens and doesn't always pull it off.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:22:23 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Simulator - Flip Your Games
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 11:42:48 pm »

Been meaning to get this game, but it's a bit too expensive. I like how this can curb MTG costs for deck-building. Fuck real cards.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:46:26 pm »

Yes, MTG is also in it, but I haven't played it so I dunno what the card situation is like.

40k and all the tabletop wargames are also in.
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 11:59:11 pm »

I don't get to play it often but I really do love tabletop simulator. I've had a lot of fun playing co-op boardgames like Pandemic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 12:07:04 am »

I never paid much attention to this and assumed it was spawned from Desperate Gods. I never knew it had actually caught on to such a degree. How are people getting away with re-making all these games you'd otherwise have to spend so much on? I remember having a wargame-like thing long ago where you set up a castle and had little canons and catapaults that shot red balls that went everywhere and got lost all over the damn house, but I never actually 'played' it but instead just liked shooting canonballs at things (Unless I am mistaken and it wasn't a wargame to begin with). Something like that would be cool.

I know that setting up a lot of board games can take ages, and that's half of what turned me off of them. Especially if they were wargame type games. The idea of them sounds fun but fiddling with all the pieces is a headache, and heaven forbid you lose one.

All that aside, I would be interested, if I could find a game that actually catches my eye.

Co-op games sound fun to me, I'm not much for competition, hehe.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 12:15:35 am »

I remember having a wargame-like thing long ago where you set up a castle and had little canons and catapaults that shot red balls that went everywhere and got lost all over the damn house, but I never actually 'played' it but instead just liked shooting canonballs at things (Unless I am mistaken and it wasn't a wargame to begin with). Something like that would be cool.

Weapons & Warriors?

I think it was on Board James once.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 12:19:13 am »

I have no idea how they get away with it.  Especially the 40k and shit.

In some instances it may be that the more hobbyist elements of the community don't want to attack their fans, but the giants like GW and FFG I'm surprised haven't pounced. 

I never paid much attention to this and assumed it was spawned from Desperate Gods. I never knew it had actually caught on to such a degree.

That's what I figured.  I was the same way, I'd assumed it was just a cheap physics sandbox until I saw somebody on the BattleCON  reddit suggesting it and decided to look up the workshop. 

------

Weapons and Warriors isn't on the Workshop.  I also went looking for Thirteen Dead End Drive, which I had as a kid but could never play cause the setup took longer than playing the damn game.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 01:50:13 am »

Weapons & Warriors?
That's the one.

Looking through the top rated mods on the workshop right now... people have made air hockey, mini golf, bowling, pool... Jumanji (really?)... I got curious and they even have Pogs. Holy crap. There's one that allows you to have a little tank controlled by a sort of remote control (not hotkeys), which looks strange but I can only imagine what else you could do with that kind of scripting. There's even kart racing.

Most of what I'm seeing is Warhammer 40k related.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 11:32:52 am »

Well, got the simulator and would be up for pretty much anything depending on time. So do count me in if you plan on actually making a sort-of group for this.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 06:28:38 pm »

I would be so up for ANY GAME! You have no idea how much I want to play board games.

I have so many boardgames sitting behind me right now that I have no one to really play with, tons of which I know are on the workshop too..
Anyone interested in playing "Starwars: Imperial Assault"?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 06:40:43 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 06:47:13 pm »

Do they have Battlestar Galactica? I've been meaning to get some games in of it.

If not, Xwing would be fine. Just in the learning stages of it, but it's a pretty fun game.

How would you say TTS compares to Vassal in use? Vassal can be fiddly, but it has pretty quick setup if you know the game. Does the actual physics make this better or worse?
It's a game. Have fun.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 06:52:51 pm »

There was a sale on this recently. A number of users at boardgamegeek.com have been wanting to get something other than Cards Against Humanity or Secret Hitler running. You know. Serious games. I have a few subscribed items like Survive, Carcassonne, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Robinson Crusoe, Race for the Galaxy, and Lords of Waterdeep. They are games I know.

Physics just means no automation, so you need to know the game and have the rules down really well.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 07:37:47 pm »

Do they have Battlestar Galactica? I've been meaning to get some games in of it.

If not, Xwing would be fine. Just in the learning stages of it, but it's a pretty fun game.

How would you say TTS compares to Vassal in use? Vassal can be fiddly, but it has pretty quick setup if you know the game. Does the actual physics make this better or worse?
I believe they actually DO have battlestar galactica.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 08:34:48 pm »

Physics just means no automation, so you need to know the game and have the rules down really well.
That and it allows you to use homebrew rules the same exact way you would if you were all sitting around an actual table together.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 11:26:28 pm »

That and it allows you to use homebrew rules the same exact way you would if you were all sitting around an actual table together.
In that sense it also allows cheating, on purpose or accidentally. Make sure the rules are well understood.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5