Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Tabletop Simulator - How About A B12 Board Game Night?  (Read 11940 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Simulator - Flip Your Games
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 11:48:59 pm »

I'll probably look into starting a bay12 group since we've got quite a few people.  Playin gthe good complicated games (as opposed to secret hitler and cards against humanity) can be rough in the lobby.  There's a lot of capacity for people to fuck the game up in this.  You're usually not accustomed to people being fucklers in board games, since they're a face-to-face kind of thing, but they will be.

Battlestar Galactica and Imperial Assault are both in.

I think part of the way they're getting away with it is that everything's hosted privately.  Like my mods file is just a ton of downloaded images.  I'm pretty sure the mods are 90% just internal links to imgur galleries and shit, rather than actually having assets in the game.

I only played Vassal for 40k.  I think it's got Vassal beat though, especially for stuff like that.  3d plus line-drawing means proper line of sight figuring, you can place dice by models for hit recognition, all the good shit you can do in real life.

Really, it's essentially playing a real board game.  In that respect it's better than Vassal.  And there is actually some automation, there's lua scripting in-game.

So for example, since spinners don't work in X-Wing you have little decks of cards corresponding to a ship's movement options and you place them next to each ship, then flip them over.  In the popular boards, each card also has buttons on it which activate the different things.  So you push the big button and it automatically moves your ship the correct distance.  You push F to make a focus token appear, S for stress, etc.

Most games don't have all that though, since it's a lot of work.  X-Wing's probably one of the most popular non-CAH/Secret Hitler games on there.
Shoes...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 12:49:47 am »

Oh, I'm up for lots of different games. I'll join a bay12 tabletop sim group.

I notice that there is a chat in the game but I dont know how to actually use it. There doesnt seem to be a means in game to access it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 04:23:45 am »

I made a group.

My Kingdom Death run is slogging on and I dunno if it'd be a good idea to play it as a group.  Maybe as a group we can put together better strategies but right now the only thing really keeping it on my list is that 90% of character power is in his gear and that's preserved even if everyone dies, except irreplaceable gear which is rare anyway.

It gets compared to Dark Souls a lot.  To me, Dark Souls is a shitty game with fucked up fights that you have to cheese to win and then people enjoy because it's a status symbol to enjoy impossible games.  Having played through to the Kingsman I can say that's often an apt comparison, at least with the Nemesis fights.

The quarries aren't so bad, but the nemeses are fucking bullshit.  Great imagery, even the way the fights work is really cool if it weren't such bullshit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But then again with a group it might be easier to talk tactics and figure out strategies I hadn't thought of.  The quarries are all designed with weaknesses in mind.  The white lion likes to charge forward but you can mitigate that by circling around him and then just chasing him when he charges.  The screaming antelope has a brutal mule kick if you're in its blind spot but you can stay around its sides instead.

The Kingsman's weak point is his blind spot, he has -4 toughness there, but your attacks won't actually hurt him cause battle pressure and unless you used a survival point to get in his blind spot during his turn (so you can use your own turn to move back out) he's going to turn around and blow you away when his turn starts, and that won't even be the end of his turn.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:59:49 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 04:33:43 am »

Well if anyone wants a game of something, I have a generous list of games I know how to play right now and even can turn around and grab the rule book from the box if needed. Its a tower worth of games tbh...
Spoiler: Me and My Games... (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 04:40:09 am »

I've been interested in dead of winter and IMperial Assault looks pretty cool but I don't know anything about it.  I'd also love to get some battlecon going.
Shoes...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 05:03:42 am »

Well Dead of Winter is a 3+ Player Game, its got a Betrayer system too. Its actually has a nice flow to it with a easy to play styled teamwork method.
Spoiler: Quickish Explination (click to show/hide)

Imperial Assualt is another 3+ game but can also be played 2 player. The 2 Player is a skirmish match in lue of games like Battlefront Objectives where you have to capture X items and so forth, it plays interesting but haven't really gotten further then reading the rules. The 3+ Game is more akin to DnD, One player plays as the Imperials and such while the others are Rebel Heroes...

Spoiler: Quickish Explanation (click to show/hide)

I have joined the Group and am currently sitting in its chat if anyone wants to talk about getting into a game...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 05:21:43 am »

Would still love BSG. It brings all the horrible skullduggery and cooperation a group game needs, but isn't too hard to learn. Just run the basic game (no expansions), yet allow all characters as choices (from all expansions) so it doesn't get boring on repeated plays.

Line of succession is harder to remember than basic rules, but you just look it up if it ever comes into play.
It's a game. Have fun.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 05:50:28 am »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 05:52:46 am »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 06:00:39 am »

I have no idea how the url got like that, but it's fixed now.

Dead of Winter reminds me of 13 Dead End Drive, you had like 12 characters and drew a hand of cards to know who were "yours" but anyone could move any character.  The goal was to make sure one of your characters was alive and the favored heir when the game ended.

Trying to teach myself how to play Eldritch Horror now, pretty confus.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:53:59 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 09:43:26 am »

I personally own around 300 board games and a small fraction are on tabletop sim. If I own it I probably can teach it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 01:36:25 am »

Figured out Eldritch Horror pretty securely, at least enough to know what's going on.  Not enough to win.  As much as I don't enjoy eurogames, dice are the fucking worst thing ever invented.

Hey, you're about to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat?  Well fuck you, have a bunch of 1s.  Now you lose.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 01:52:33 am »

I am one of the few people who just flat out doesn't like Elderich Horror.

I find Arkham Horror to be far superior... even with all its faults.

I guess because Elderich Horror feels not only more random but less flavorful.

Yet honestly if you like Elderich Horror by all means love it. I just have yet to have a single game of Elderich horror that was enjoyable... I always swear I am not playing the game right... So I reread the rules everytime.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 05:07:21 am »

I'm teaching myself Arkham Horror now.  Can't say which I like more.

At least from my five or so turns of experience it seems like Arkham's a little easier, or at least the difficulty doesn't ramp up the way it does in Eldritch.  It probably didn't help that I tried Cthulhu, figuring for some reason that he'd be an easier, introductory experience.  Two rumor cards in phase one, plus the first Mystery was Cthylla spawning in the ocean.  That's quite an alpha strike.  Rumors especially seem more urgent in Eldritch, but I've only seen one in Arkham so maybe I got a lucky one.

Lost Arkham, but only by one Doom token.  Probably would've lost worse if I'd been paying attention, I killed one cultist and got lost in space twice, so that's three turns he should've woken earlier, possibly fewer since I started sealing gates around that time.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:57:28 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5