Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bags shouldn't be usable as buildings  (Read 1813 times)

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bags shouldn't be usable as buildings
« on: April 23, 2016, 05:56:56 pm »

Or at the very least, they should be under a different hotkey than coffers/boxes. I don't think there are many cases where anyone would want to actually 'build' a bag, and it's a hell of a nuisance to scroll past them when trying to furnish bedrooms.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bags shouldn't be usable as buildings
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 06:50:55 pm »

I agree with you... most people don't use bags as furniture. It's more of an UI problem though: if there was a way of making sure that bags were always at the bottom of the list this wouldn't be a problem.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:48:06 pm »

Double agreed.  Maybe containers should be completely divided into subcategories in general, given that bags and boxes are not really the same, and coffers even less so.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:29:58 pm »

They are already subdivided. Boxes and bags are the only exception to this. Coffers are stone boxes, and are interchangeable with metal/wooden chests/boxes. Bags are cloth, and have a unique use for their furniture_type.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 09:44:35 pm »

Aye, bags are needed for far too many other things, like seeds and sand, to bother using them as furniture.  They are also far more annoying to make.  You have to grow the fiber/sheer the sheep/collect the silk, process it into thread at a FW, then process that into cloth at a loom, optionally dye said cloth/thread, then finally make the bag at the clothiers.  To make a stone coffer you... dig out your fort and turn the excess stone into a coffer.  BOOM.

Leather bags are a tad easier to make (butcher->tan->BOOM), but leather is so hard to produce in large quantities, that you tend to ration its use for quivers, backpacks, and cloaks. 

I mean, if you really wanted to you could still give everyone bags to use.  Say, you rushed textiles and used them as the basis of your trade economy, so mass producing high-value dyed cloth is easy for you.  Just give it a different keystroke from boxes!  I have to do annoying things like mass forbid bags before mass designating 100 chests, then deal with the cancellation spam of farmers losing seeds and the glassworks coming to a hault. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 06:56:20 am »

Agree. Bags in the coffer build menu is a significant pain in the posterior, especially if you try to get a glass industry running smoothly, given that you need a huge number of bags for that.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 05:17:55 am »

Leather bags are a tad easier to make (butcher->tan->BOOM), but leather is so hard to produce in large quantities, that you tend to ration its use for quivers, backpacks, and cloaks.
This isn't strictly true. After maybe the third caravan, you can buy enough leather to last you till the next one if you only have one leatherworker working full time. Besides you only need to make a few quivers and backpacks and you're done for the rest of the game.

Agree. Bags in the coffer build menu is a significant pain in the posterior, especially if you try to get a glass industry running smoothly, given that you need a huge number of bags for that.
It's annoying mostly because you can't automate sand collection when number of sand bags is less than x. But after the next update, that might be possible.

Definitely a good suggestion. I don't see any point in building a bag as furniture unless it's an artifact.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 05:46:33 am »

I agree with you... most people don't use bags as furniture. It's more of an UI problem though: if there was a way of making sure that bags were always at the bottom of the list this wouldn't be a problem.
DFHack basically fixes this by placing the last selected item at the top of the list
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 06:48:34 am »

The DFHack "last thing selected" implementation is limited to some actions (floor/wall building, for instance, where it's quite handy), but missing from others (I'm not quite sure what, but I've had such examples occurring. Bridges? paved roads?). Also, it doesn't really help much with furniture if you want to select masterworks items, even if it might select the same type of material as the default.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 06:40:22 am »

If you're in a tight spot without access to stone coffers (of a nice quality via masonry training) using quick and disposable leather and cloth bag for rooms is a nice embellishment, and if at any time you happen to be in a shortage of bags you can scoop one up, rather than be left with a bulky hunk of furniture taking space.

I actually think having bags as buildings is a immense buff. It gives your leatherworkers and clothiers (both valuable skills to level up even post-steel production) something to work on for more than storage as practice (given that they wont exactly fetch a AWFUL lot compared to things like clothing in trading unless they are pre-packaged with materials)