Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Make spoilers a rarity again  (Read 4328 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Make spoilers a rarity again
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2016, 01:08:46 pm »

...I typed up this huge argument against making there be a flat chance of just no candy at all.

Dammit, I need to stop fighting imaginary windmills.

============

I actually think that I would reduce the adamantine density, but slightly, in most of my worlds. Adamantine is slightly overpowered (understatement), especially considering that as long as you're careful, you usually have at least 20 ores with no danger at all, and quite a few more that you can extract with only danger to the miner - and since DF2012, mining skill hasn't even meant anything in terms of drop rates, so install a bridge, shove a pick in that peasant's hands, install a lever, and your fortress is safe.

But on the other hand, I also give myself challenges like "no trap-filled hallways" and "only kill with soldiers", so this could be another form of challenge.

I totally agree that there should be an option to reduce/remove adamantine and HFS. (I also think that adamantine should not exist without HFS - if you want free adamantine, use DFHack. Free candy is just cheating at this point.) But the default should stay about how it is. (would I like it slightly less dense? sure, see above. but the current way is fine.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2016, 04:18:31 pm »

Everyone can agree that Dwarf Fortress has a decent amount of depth and complexity to it. There are many different kinds of game mechanics that are based on many different progressive systems (with more to be added to the game as well). Take the recent addition of site and unit tracking on the map while you are in Fortress Mode. Time passes and events take place outside your fortress. It takes time for units to travel and events that occur outside are starting to affect your fortress as a whole. Unit and Site tracking certainly isn't 100% complete nor fleshed out, but the basis of the system is there for all to see and experience.

What does this have to do with wanting to make Adamantine more rare? I believe there are more interesting methods to achieve the desire affects without having to succumb to simply decreasing Adamatines occurrence. To make Adamantine feel special players need to feel something when they are ready to harvest it, not be forced to hunt it down fortress after fortress. Right now Admantine has barriers, the depths of its location and the risk of releasing clowns. I agree this is not enough to make Adamantine feel "special" however simply decreasing its occurrence with the current state of the game (this is very important to consider btw) will just be out right annoying.

Right now in Fortress mode you are very restricted on your map. This is the current state we are working with and considering for this post (I am going to touch upon future DF states in reference to this post lower though.) One way to make Adamantine feel special is to have avoid out right barriers being added, but progressive mechanics that occur over time. After mining Adamantine for example, your Dwarves could start becoming out right jealous of those Dwarves that are using the ore. Older fortresses with more dwarves would less likly see these dwarves so this jealously wouldnt be as big of an issue. Older and better maintained fortresses (that run smoothly) could also afford dwarves refusing to "work" due to this jealously. You should have a nice justice system in place by now, so these dwarves can easily be punished without your economy being messed up.

See how this solution takes advantage of the already multiple systems and mechanics in place? This would be a solution that would give Adamantine purpose beyond its value as an ore, and give the systems in Dwarf Fortress more use.

Future of Dwarf Fortress has many changes and I believe once of them as decreasing Adamantine rarity. The reason this WONT be such an issue is that in the future (if I remember correctly) you will not be as restricted to your fortress location as you are now. Also, there is Divine materials in the game that can only be obtained by adventure mode. Have you found any of this yet?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2016, 04:32:31 pm »

...so install a bridge, shove a pick in that peasant's hands, install a lever, and your fortress is safe.
Your dwarves are safe. Your FPS... not so much.

And that's only until enemy digging gets implemented.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2016, 09:45:25 pm »

I agree, but FPS is more metagame properties than anything else.

======

Adamantine density reduction would be a niche benefit, and thus is a good idea, but should be placed on the back burner. As should this thread. (are there any more points to make? i don't really think so)

Wait a few years, see what happens with HFS, then come back. This'll probably be placed on the back burner - then thrown out with the rest of the adamantine stuff! Completely irrelevant within the decade. If it's still relevant, HFS and adamantine will still have changed greatly.

CRYOGENICS GO
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]