Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancy and you  (Read 2073 times)

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancy and you
« on: April 23, 2016, 11:01:20 pm »

So I finally have a character who I'm rping as lik a wandering knight or something. So along my journey, I find and kill an entire tower, grab ALL the books and now my questions

• How do I know which book is "the one"? I actually want to avoid becoming a necromancer
  • I left a good amount of undead at the tower, will they attack nearby towns or is this considered dealing with the threat?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Necromancy and you
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:31:42 am »

Aside from avoiding the slab which will have an untranslated name, you also want to avoid books with titles that include words like Annihilation, Death, Deminse, Immortality, Ruin, etc. Though you need to be a bit careful too since now book titles don't always show up and you have books labeled as bound codexes - I think those might include copies of the necro books.

AFAIK zombies respawn anyway even if you kill all the necros - if you've been sent to drive off a group in a tower you only need to kill the leader necromancer to neutralize the threat - they'll have a title like "ringleader" or "warlord".

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:19:16 am »

Well i ended up killing all the necromancers and i remember seeing the leader, just cant remember his name.. oh well ill figure it out
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 12:53:44 pm »

Aside from avoiding the slab which will have an untranslated name, you also want to avoid books with titles that include words like Annihilation, Death, Deminse, Immortality, Ruin, etc. Though you need to be a bit careful too since now book titles don't always show up and you have books labeled as bound codexes - I think those might include copies of the necro books.

AFAIK zombies respawn anyway even if you kill all the necros - if you've been sent to drive off a group in a tower you only need to kill the leader necromancer to neutralize the threat - they'll have a title like "ringleader" or "warlord".

Are you sure about that zombie thing ZM5 Im sure it tracks zombie populations just like any other population, we should do some science before claiming that shit.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 12:55:24 pm »

I believe In order to attack zombies need a necromancer to lead them so if the head necro is dead and there are no other necros left the countryside should be safe.

However necros arnet all that bad, I have seen them attack goblin civs in world activation after checking before.
I am an indie game dev!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 03:39:17 pm »

Are you sure about that zombie thing ZM5 Im sure it tracks zombie populations just like any other population, we should do some science before claiming that shit.
I'm fairly sure about this because I've seen it happen - I'd kill off every zombie in the tower using the DFhack commands, then after I'd fast travel they'd ALL be back. Same thing even if I killed every necro - I'll admit this was back in 40.xx but I don't think it's something that would change in this version, I'd have to redo that myself - although I'd find via Legends Viewer that zombie populations wouldn't decrease no matter how many I killed, even if it was in an empty necro-less tower (some of which were devoid of necros - as in, I didn't have to kill anyone, it was just zombies in a tower with no intelligent being in it).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 05:13:29 pm »

40.x versions had a bug where killed non-historical creatures were never deducted from the population pool (and even characters with the same name would respawn in the same spot standing on top of their clone's corpses), which, combined with insane troll population explosion rates, were responsible for goblin pits becoming unplayable.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 05:35:00 pm »

I guess I'll have to do some science myself at some point - I thought this hadn't been fixed.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 06:09:42 am »

aren't necromancy basically piggy backing off of the demon that taught them necromancy? so killing all the necros would still leave open folks seeking out ways to get immortal and finding the slab/demon that contains the gift of necromancy and the process repeats again.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 01:52:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ZM5 is right for 40.xx, zombies would endlessly respawn, even after slaying every zombie and necromancer in the tower (I killed every necro in the world, and threw their books/slabs in the ocean and zombies still appeared).
I haven't gone out and eliminated towers in this version, but I can't find a bug (fixed or unfixed) on the bug tracker on this.

aren't necromancy basically piggy backing off of the demon that taught them necromancy? so killing all the necros would still leave open folks seeking out ways to get immortal and finding the slab/demon that contains the gift of necromancy and the process repeats again.
Yes, but this is far more likely to happen in world gen because of how slowly the world runs post-gen (We travel through time while playing much slower than the world does during generation).

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 03:17:30 pm »

Demons don't teach necromantcy, god's of death do. Awhile ago someone figured out that while some demons know the secrets of necromancy they don't actually do anything with it.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 03:22:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ZM5 is right for 40.xx, zombies would endlessly respawn, even after slaying every zombie and necromancer in the tower (I killed every necro in the world, and threw their books/slabs in the ocean and zombies still appeared).
I haven't gone out and eliminated towers in this version, but I can't find a bug (fixed or unfixed) on the bug tracker on this.

Yes, but this is far more likely to happen in world gen because of how slowly the world runs post-gen (We travel through time while playing much slower than the world does during generation).

It was quite awhile ago "fixed respawning" something along that line.
I am an indie game dev!