Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changes to water pressure?  (Read 1738 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changes to water pressure?
« on: April 27, 2016, 09:19:40 am »

So here's the situation:

Previously, when building a well, I would produce a U-pipe into a reservoir a few levels below the actual well.  A diagonal at the bottom keeps the flow from filling beyond the reservoir.

This time I constructed it as usual and sent a miner to punch through into the underground river.  The entire hallway immediately flooded to a depth of 7 with no warning, and drowned the miner (without moving his body, so there was no water movement).  It was instantaneous. EDIT: For the sake of clarity, previously, water ran in at a normal rate - this was effectively "water teleporting".

Is this a new thing?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:06:45 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to water pressure?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:18:47 pm »

I haven't heard about such a thing, but I've never heard about an underground river either (well, maybe in reports from very old DF version with seasonal flooding and whatnot, but not in the 0.40.X-> I'm familiar with). I AM aware pressure is wonky upwards however, but that has usually resulted in a failure to flow unless prompted, rather than excessive flow.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:29:48 pm »

Was the water above the breach more than 1z deep? 

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 12:40:36 pm »

It could be two tiles deep.  I would need to refer to the map again.  Would that cause this sort of explosive teleportation?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 01:13:26 pm »

I've seen something similar in highly pressurized pipes. It's wasn't ACTUALLY instantaneous for me, it just got forced through really quickly. When I move one frame at a time, I've been able to see it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 10:30:30 am »

This time I constructed it as usual and sent a miner to punch through into the underground river.  The entire hallway immediately flooded to a depth of 7 with no warning, and drowned the miner (without moving his body, so there was no water movement).  It was instantaneous. EDIT: For the sake of clarity, previously, water ran in at a normal rate - this was effectively "water teleporting".
I did extensive pressurized water experiments while trying to develop a carp cannon (back when carp were still hardcore) and that's what I'd expect when you breach a lake from beneath -- water from above lands on water below, creating a x/7 water block sitting atop a 7/7 water block:  Pressure.  This allows the water above to teleport through the breach straight to the end of the stream.  The draining won't even slow down until a significant area of water around the drain is below 2/7.

I tried to put a wall through an underground lake with pumps and couldn't do it.  You can do so with a brook but not an underground lake.  An underground lake covers big areas and connects to wide stripes of map edge.  Very difficult to put a dent in it.

Something similar happened to me when I forgot how diagonals worked:

As fast as you can say *fworsh*, the room was full...  That sure taught me.  Either breach the lake diagonally, or channel from above.  Or some dwarfy arrangement of levers and pillars to punch a hole from above...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:42:38 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 10:45:57 am »

It could be two tiles deep.  I would need to refer to the map again.  Would that cause this sort of explosive teleportation?
Yes it can:
Flow: Fluids under Pressure, aka Teleportation.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 10:54:13 am »

Yes it can:

Doesn't need to be two tiles deep to cause pressure, digging into it from below instead of the side makes it 2 tiles deep.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 06:36:33 am »

Yes it can:

Doesn't need to be two tiles deep to cause pressure, digging into it from below instead of the side makes it 2 tiles deep.
If it's only one level deep, only a single tile is going to be "exerting pressure", and that won't be enough to do anything meaningful. If the entire lake is 2Z (or more) deep, then each tile that's >1Z deep will be able to "exert pressure" when moving (though a given 16x16 area will take a total of 16 ticks in order to fully move, due to the way that fluid updates are staggered).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.