Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate: MKIV OOC : A Pair of Boots, A Cutlass, and a Parrot. OOC  (Read 12480 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Kit (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

Changed my sheet.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Long range precision is not the strongsuit of psions. The larger the scale, the wider the zone affected. Especially with psi amps, which is the only 'safe' way to do largescale effects.

Makes sense. It's a good way to limit the abusive power of groups that have large numbers of psions.

Quick question, would my character's anomalous properties fall under the realm of psionics? His mind is supposed to be linked across brains in other timelines, but the whole death feedback thing is caused by the fact that it's sort of FTL communication when he sees himself face-to-face, and he doesn't have any inbuilt means of preventing time paradoxes due to FTL aside from ensuring he dies.
(the death feedback isn't supposed to happen with just any interaction though, only real-time face-to-face, audio, or visual feedback I imagined. You can change that if you want)

I imagine psions wouldn't have problems with FTL communication in the setting, so my character wouldn't technically be a psion, but I'm not entirely sure on what falls into the realm of psionics and what doesn't.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Long range precision is not the strongsuit of psions. The larger the scale, the wider the zone affected. Especially with psi amps, which is the only 'safe' way to do largescale effects.

Makes sense. It's a good way to limit the abusive power of groups that have large numbers of psions.

Quick question, would my character's anomalous properties fall under the realm of psionics? His mind is supposed to be linked across brains in other timelines, but the whole death feedback thing is caused by the fact that it's sort of FTL communication when he sees himself face-to-face, and he doesn't have any inbuilt means of preventing time paradoxes due to FTL aside from ensuring he dies.
(the death feedback isn't supposed to happen with just any interaction though, only real-time face-to-face, audio, or visual feedback I imagined. You can change that if you want)

I imagine psions wouldn't have problems with FTL communication in the setting, so my character wouldn't technically be a psion, but I'm not entirely sure on what falls into the realm of psionics and what doesn't.
Your character would be considered a subtype of Temporal Psion. Specifically a low class Paradox Inducer type. Temporal Psions, especially PI's can be extremely dangerous in the higher tiers due to their tendency to accidentally unexist planets. Lowertiers they'e normally not as nasty.

Not all psions are capable of ftl comms, that's a specific subclass of Spacial Distortion and a few others lesser used ones.

Spoiler: Kit (click to show/hide)
Will add to the OP~

Changed my sheet.
Overall good. Only issue is this bit:

Bone needle/poison glands: Raiorei can draw a small needle from his mouth that regrows upon use. Raiorei additionally can recreate any poison from his mouth if has ingested it.
Most poisons rated for Bion Class 3 termination (Bions are specifically designed to be resilient and are entirely capable of surviving and thriving on deathworlds. Class 3's could walk on the surface of venus with minimal issues beyond overheating. The pressure would do jack shit.) are incredibly complex substances, requiring dedicated glands of significant sizes with minimal adaptability to produce. Just being able to make a single type of such a venom is a huge advantage. Multiple? That doesn't work. Biowarfare is very very very complex.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

Changed.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Came up with this. Probably needs reworking and such.
Spoiler: Kar Mercant Lore Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:36:38 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Andres, did you create an OP character again*?

*I haven't read it all yet, I'm just teasin'.

Edit: Okay, actually read it. It's definitely more powerful than every other character.
Seriously, can't you show a bit of restraint every now and then?
Edit 2: Well, okay, rude for me to say that. Hm...
Oh, and did you know there's a new Ye Gods going on? KJP didn't tell anyone for some bizarre reason.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:57:13 pm by Happy Demon »
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Came up with this. Probably needs reworking and such.
Spoiler: Kar Mercant Lore Sheet (click to show/hide)
You're gonna need to stat out the augs before I do much nixing/approving. Gonna nix the nanoweave hair though from the getgo. Power armor is Armor for a reason. Hair ain't gonna cut it. Hair ain't gonna crush it. And keep in mind that the more organs ya have.. The more likely they get hit when ya get shot. Damaging or disabling what they do.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and did you know there's a new Ye Gods going on? KJP didn't tell anyone for some bizarre reason.
Yeah, a bit before T1 started. I'm gonna wait a bit before I write up my own god. KJP is an unreliable GM and I want to confirm that the game's going to stick around before I get invested.

You're gonna need to stat out the augs before I do much nixing/approving.
Got it, but can you remind me what the ranges of stat boosts are? IIRC it was 1-3 for mundane/professional and 4-6 for augs/savant.

Gonna nix the nanoweave hair though from the getgo. Power armor is Armor for a reason. Hair ain't gonna cut it. Hair ain't gonna crush it.
What about medium normal armour? (Power armour is powered to carry the heavy weight of the armour first and boost strength second, so theoretically medium power armour is a lot tougher than medium normal armour.)

And keep in mind that the more organs ya have.. The more likely they get hit when ya get shot. Damaging or disabling what they do.
That makes sense. I assume that goes for my regular organs too?

EDIT: Tentative stat changes made. I'm still not sure whether the stats match the descriptions or not.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:41:40 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Okay, gonna look really deep, and try to comment on everything.

Spoiler: Wall of Text (click to show/hide)
Conclusion:

For the weapons, they are fine, though a bit strange on the grenades.
The knife looks to be an exotic weapon, and not something that would be standard issue anywhere (KX-9 don't count).

Equipment, seems to be mostly mundane items, possible standard issue for some military.
I honestly expected the armor to be super OP, but it's actually pretty weak.
The psi jammer irks me a bit, as it implies either regular psion encounters or being soldiers made to deal with exotic threats.

Bioaugments.
I see some redundant and stacking systems here.
Melee abilities will never be disabled with 3 separate weapons. Combine that with the stacking reaction speeds, and he'll dominate any melee fight.
Echolocation is too extreme, and doesn't fit in, enhanced senses is enough. It would work as a tech system though.
The levitation and lighting shooting means this is no mundane super soldier, but an exotic one.
Healing is fine, but antitoxin goes a bit absurd, making him immune to pretty much anything.
Lifespan makes sense with the improved body. But the fabulous improvements of long hair and such beauty are definitely exotic augments, and not standard for any faction (KX-9 don't count).

All in all, there are some things that don't work, but this character is pretty okay.
I seem to have judged too early and labeled it as yet another stupidly OP character. Sorry.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't really complain about the laser weapons, as my character has one too, but the monoblade irks me somewhat.
Those things cut insanely well, but their materials are also somewhat exotic, in order to gain and retain the edge.
If it was a carbon coated edge, it would be fine, because that can be done industrially, it's something you can get off an assembly line.
I think monoblades are above what one would put on an assembly line. And therefore it would be an exotic weapon.
Oh, I thought it was a top-of-the-line mass manufacture weapon. I'd intended for the psi-jammer to be my only piece of exotic equipment. I'll change it to a carbon-coated edge like you suggest.

The grenades, I'll nitpick. Wouldn't you use fragmentation grenades against infantry? And AT grenades aren't really used anymore. Except rocket propelled ones.
That idea was that fragmentation wasn't as useful against highly armoured opponents so you'd use a HE grenade instead to harm them through the pressure wave. The HE grenades also have more utility than frag grenades. As for the AT grenades, that's just something for vehicles. Why wouldn't I have them?

If you have better suggestions for anti-heavy infantry and anti-vehicle/tank grenades, I'd like to hear them so I can possibly replace my current nades with them.

The armor, well, it made me finally look up plasteel. I don't get why that's a thing, plastic isn't nearly as flexible as one would think.
I was thinking about what kind of armour isn't too heavy but also can't be called "light". "Metal" is too broad and then I remembered the word "plasteel" which seems to fit. I honestly know nothing about it. :P

The powered nanoweave makes me scratch my head. Nanoweave is like kevlar, it wont stretch, so why make it rigid?
So actually, that armor isn't all that good, I misjudged it, it's actually quite weak.
It does stretch - Kar's hair is made out of a biological equivalent. The stuff used in armour is kept quite packed together and doesn't move nearly as much as the hair but it's still enough to allow for easy movement. The only reason the entire thing's not made of nanoweave is because plasteel keeps the cost down and some areas (like the chest) don't need the extra flexibility.

The helmet, the vox caster, comm system, and... rebreather? Okay, brief explanation of rebreathers.
Rebreathers use a closed circuit to take in what you breathe out, and filters the CO2 out, thus you only need put in 25% of the new oxygen you'd otherwise need to put in.
A rebreather is larger than your lungs, as it need contain the capacity of your lungs. The rebreather is a system for breathing in a place with no air.
The rebreather would not really be a helmet thing, you need a backpack for that. Other than that, the mouth thingies are fine.
Flashlight and IFF system, just fine. So the helmet is mostly fine, thought the rebreather isn't really a helmet thing. Sure, the mouth piece is, but that's it, the rest is on your torso.
Ah, so what I'm looking for is an air filter? Those are the things that let you more easily breathe in air, right?

Psi-Jammer, this is a stretch. A mind shield I would understand, something hard to penetrate with psionics.
Jammers means that they can interface with psionics with electrical technology.
I'll change the name to Mind Shield to avoid confusion. The original name came from a device that did the same thing except to ALL psychic attacks (thought it was too OP so I limited it to telepathy).

Durability, extra strong bones, sub dermal armor... um, why? Armor is better the thicker it is, sub dermal armor can't be very thick.
Sure, it lets you take stabs, but don't count on it blocking bullets anytime soon.
The answer to "why would I have it?" is "why not?" It's as you said, it lets me take stabs. Doesn't have to do more than that.

Biocoil, oh hey, some of the crazy stuff. Another increase in reaction speed, that's gonna stack like hell.
The total stack is +/-4, which is low augmentation range IIRC.

Magnetic levitation, oh boy, this is a bit extreme.
Not really. It lets me go up and down easily but not very quickly (meant to prevent death from falling), that's it.

Electromuscle, wut? Recharging things at range, this is a bit absurd, and can end up with you firing lighting out of your hands.
This but less extreme. It's also recharging things at touch (or near touch), not at range.

Echolocation, no, just no. Even with using quieter weapons, you're not going to get this level, improved hearing, sure, blindsight, just no.
Makes much more sense if it's a tech system, because this sort of mental process is not just trained, you either have to live with it, or an algorithm has to deal with the busywork.
The mental processes necessary for echolocation weren't trained, they were wired into the brain. A few other augments necessitated a rewiring of the brain to properly handle them. It's why the Brainpower augment only gives a +2/-1 and not something higher like what a pure intelligence build would give.

Pheromones, why? If your character is made to be a super soldier, why include a pheromone augment?
Who says Kar is a super soldier? He's a perfectly ordinary man who's a bit taller than the average Joe. Nothing super soldiery about him, no siree. He's not a Lahmian either.

Subdermal blades, so your character has a knife and Wolverine claws? I see no situation where you'd need both.
Redundancy. He might end up losing the knife.

Nanoweave hair, same as the blades, why?
Why would I want extra arms that my opponents might not recognise as extra arms?

Attractiveness, the levels he's at is not something that just happens, that has to be made to attract, indicating that these are no regular augments.
What do you mean they're not regular augments? I can tell you now that they're not chemical/psionic/whatever augments, they just make his physical body aesthetically pleasing.

I see some redundant and stacking systems here.
The redundancy is intentional and the stacking isn't astronomical. +/-4 is, as I mentioned before, low-end augmentation.

All in all, there are some things that don't work, but this character is pretty okay.
I seem to have judged too early and labeled it as yet another stupidly OP character. Sorry.
I'm glad to know I made a decent character. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:56:22 am by Andres »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

I was thinking about what kind of armour isn't too heavy but also can't be called "light". "Metal" is too broad and then I remembered the word "plasteel" which seems to fit. I honestly know nothing about it. :P
I think ceramic will fit the bill. Thing is, there are people that use steel armor against bullets. But first, I'll explain modern body armor.
From what I've seen, there's 2 types of body armor, hard and soft.
Mostly they seem to be vests with inserts, ballistic plates. Soft seems to be Kevlar fiber, layered cloth, and other soft materials layered to provide protection.
Hard armor, is ceramic and steel, steel is the cheap option, but if you want to block rifle bullets, it's going to be heavy.
Then there's ceramic, which is lighter for about the same protection, they're expensive though, but the price of life is very high.
From what I can see, there is level 4 plating, capable of blocking black tip armor piercing rifle rounds.

Though I should add that this is bullet resistant armor, which is why they're always replaceable plates. You don't want to trust the armor with a second rifle bullet.
Then again, you wouldn't want to get hit in the first place. Also, vests usually have webbing on the outside, you know, those stripes you see on the armor.
The webbing lets you attach all sorts of pouches and stuff to it. Which is why you almost never see bare ballistic plates.

It does stretch - Kar's hair is made out of a biological equivalent. The stuff used in armour is kept quite packed together and doesn't move nearly as much as the hair but it's still enough to allow for easy movement. The only reason the entire thing's not made of nanoweave is because plasteel keeps the cost down and some areas (like the chest) don't need the extra flexibility.
If it stretches, it compromises it's defensive capabilities. By not stretching, a bullet's force would have to either push a large amount of surrounding area, or it'll have to tear through the material.
Though it does technically stretch most of the time, due to how they create it. But if it stretches anymore than denim, then it's going to start doing real damage through the armor.

Ah, so what I'm looking for is an air filter? Those are the things that let you more easily breathe in air, right?
Ah, the filter masks, the source of the iconic masked heavy breathing.
As the filter becomes saturated with filtered agents, it becomes harder and harder to breathe. So some include replaceable filters.
Though I'm unsure if Kevak will include such mechanics. Or if he'll include the replacement of ballistic plates.

I'll change the name to Mind Shield to avoid confusion. The original name came from a device that did the same thing except to ALL psychic attacks (thought it was too OP so I limited it to telepathy).
Yeah, after some thinking, I think I can word my argument a bit better too. A psi-jammer has you attack the psi signal, and scrambling it, it's an active countermeasure.
That's why I think a psi-jammer has technology be used to do psionic stuff.
But yeah, mind shield works better, as it's either a passive or active defense system.

Not really. It lets me go up and down easily but not very quickly (meant to prevent death from falling), that's it.
So it's basically the Icarus system from Deus Ex: HR? Well, except it also lets you climb upwards. And without the lightning. ... So basically nothing like the Icarus system.
Shot down my own comparison there, anyway.
It's just that, levitation doesn't imply limits, so it sounds like you can just hover 10 meters into the sky, and do the XCOM Ethereal tactic (rain heavy plasma fire upon their enemies).

This but less extreme. It's also recharging things at touch (or near touch), not at range.
Well, not charge at range, but he can still shoot lighting at people. Seems a bit of a strange augment. Well, guess it's another redundant system.

The mental processes necessary for echolocation weren't trained, they were wired into the brain. A few other augments necessitated a rewiring of the brain to properly handle them. It's why the Brainpower augment only gives a +2/-1 and not something higher like what a pure intelligence build would give.
Well, maybe it is possible with just enhanced senses. But I just don't picture him being blinded enough to learn how (just dodge the smoke instead).

Who says Kar is a super soldier? He's a perfectly ordinary man who's a bit taller than the average Joe. Nothing super soldiery about him, no siree. He's not a Lahmian either.
What do you mean they're not regular augments? I can tell you now that they're not chemical/psionic/whatever augments, they just make his physical body aesthetically pleasing.
The charisma augments are a bit non-standard. Not standard space pirate fare. Combat augments, dime a dozen, charisma augments, they tend to not be factory standard.
This would make the best ones be hand crafted, as beauty isn't something you can just pin down.
I just judged from the more standardized augments and equipment, that he went for a bit of a package deal.
Specifically, the super soldier package, because who wouldn't want that package.

I'm glad to know I made a decent character. Thanks.
Well, it's mostly that it's not as OP as I initially assumed, as for decent character, we'll see. ... Once Kevak decides to start this game.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think ceramic will fit the bill. Thing is, there are people that use steel armor against bullets. But first, I'll explain modern body armor.
From what I've seen, there's 2 types of body armor, hard and soft.
Mostly they seem to be vests with inserts, ballistic plates. Soft seems to be Kevlar fiber, layered cloth, and other soft materials layered to provide protection.
Hard armor, is ceramic and steel, steel is the cheap option, but if you want to block rifle bullets, it's going to be heavy.
Then there's ceramic, which is lighter for about the same protection, they're expensive though, but the price of life is very high.
From what I can see, there is level 4 plating, capable of blocking black tip armor piercing rifle rounds.

Though I should add that this is bullet resistant armor, which is why they're always replaceable plates. You don't want to trust the armor with a second rifle bullet.
Then again, you wouldn't want to get hit in the first place. Also, vests usually have webbing on the outside, you know, those stripes you see on the armor.
The webbing lets you attach all sorts of pouches and stuff to it. Which is why you almost never see bare ballistic plates.
Though it does technically stretch most of the time, due to how they create it. But if it stretches anymore than denim, then it's going to start doing real damage through the armor.
This is what I'm going for, if it helps:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the filter becomes saturated with filtered agents, it becomes harder and harder to breathe. So some include replaceable filters.
Bah, can't I just say it uses space technology so that it doesn't need refills?

It's just that, levitation doesn't imply limits, so it sounds like you can just hover 10 meters into the sky, and do the XCOM Ethereal tactic (rain heavy plasma fire upon their enemies).
There's a reason why I don't give my guys Archangel armour in XCOM: all enemies can see them and they have NO COVER. I could hypothetically do what you suggest, but it's basically suicide.

Well, maybe it is possible with just enhanced senses. But I just don't picture him being blinded enough to learn how (just dodge the smoke instead).
I picture it being more useful in a no-light scenario than a low-light one. His enhanced eyesight should be more than enough for the latter.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:07:49 am by Andres »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7