Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie to modding. My creature is too awesome and keeps crashing the game.  (Read 830 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I decided to try my hand at modding with a project in mind; Dinosaurs! Rawr!. My first and so far only attempt is to try and make an "Abelisaurus" using the help of the wiki. It seems the game feels that adding something of this nature is just too much I am doing something wrong, which is something I expected. Godzilla will have to wait Below is what I currently have for this creature and am wondering if anyone could pinpoint the problem(s) that is causing the crash (when in object testing area, but I assume much the same will happen in fortress or adventure mode). Anything I can add to this thing, like maybe a line saying it eats elves for breakfast along side fried giant ostrich eggs . . . or perhaps just something saying its a predator (or even better, scavenger, if that's available). Just examples; I am sure I ended up giving it eyes on its neck or something by mistake. I am new to this after all.

http://textuploader.com/5y2rg
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:02:15 pm by ykcud »

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While I'm reading through what you have here, try this:

1) Go to your dwarf fortress folder and open errorlog.txt

2) Delete all the text in that file, save and then try running your test again

3) When it crashes, go back to errorlog.txt and read what is there

4) If you still can't understand what the problem is then copy the text from errorlog.txt and post it in this thread
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:05:25 pm by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

There's already a dinosaur mod. I'm certainly not saying we can't have two, just wanted you to know.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123137.0
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!