Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Clothier tips and suggestions  (Read 2136 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothier tips and suggestions
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 01:08:20 pm »

Here's what I do. Embark with 40 pig tail seeds and 40 dimple cup spawn. No plump helmets. Get all your food by other means: gathering, eggs, etc. Make an enormous farm with pig tails and another enormous farm with dimple cups. Build at least two farmer workshops, two dyers, two looms. Assign dwarves to constantly thresh, weave, and dye. Set clothier to use only dyed cloth. Set clothes making jobs to repeat indefinitely. Periodically destroy (I like dfhack's "autodump destroy") lower quality clothing. Within a couple years, your whole fort is clad in midnight blue masterwork robes, hoods, socks, shoes, etc.

I don't even make leather shoes because leather has a lower material value than dyed pig tail cloth or spider silk.

Edit: same thing goes for wool cloth, not as much bang for your buck
Does that DF Hack command destroy anything "broken" like clothing with the "x" code or anything marked for dumping (D)?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 01:38:17 pm »

No, but typing cleanowned x / cleanowned X / cleanowned XX will result in every piece of clothing with more than or equal damage as x / X / XX respectively being dis-owned and assigned to dumping.

autodump normally moves all dump-assigned items to a particular spot, but autodump destroy... destroys the dump-assigned objects instead.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 05:23:27 pm »

Here's what I do. Embark with 40 pig tail seeds and 40 dimple cup spawn. No plump helmets. Get all your food by other means: gathering, eggs, etc. Make an enormous farm with pig tails and another enormous farm with dimple cups. Build at least two farmer workshops, two dyers, two looms. Assign dwarves to constantly thresh, weave, and dye. Set clothier to use only dyed cloth. Set clothes making jobs to repeat indefinitely. Periodically destroy (I like dfhack's "autodump destroy") lower quality clothing. Within a couple years, your whole fort is clad in midnight blue masterwork robes, hoods, socks, shoes, etc.

I don't even make leather shoes because leather has a lower material value than dyed pig tail cloth or spider silk.

Edit: same thing goes for wool cloth, not as much bang for your buck

How do I set for dyed cloth only?  I don't see anything but workers under workshop profile.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 05:29:03 pm »

In the main menu, press (o) for orders. Then press (W) for workshop orders. Here you get all the auto's: auto loom, auto butcher, auto tan... and use dyed cloth or any cloth.

These settings apply to all workshops. That's why they're not in workshop details.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 08:30:49 pm »

No, but typing cleanowned x / cleanowned X / cleanowned XX will result in every piece of clothing with more than or equal damage as x / X / XX respectively being dis-owned and assigned to dumping.

autodump normally moves all dump-assigned items to a particular spot, but autodump destroy... destroys the dump-assigned objects instead.
This is by far the hardest clothing-related thing to manage without dfhack help. Does anyone know a vanilla way to accomplish this goal?

It's easy to use take-from stockpiles to only accumulate new clothes from workshops. But I'm not aware of a non-manual way to sort items by wear level, or have a stockpile pull from anywhere BUT a workshop. (Which would at least exclude new clothing and limit it to discarded/unowned, goblinite clothes, and trade goods.)

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 09:00:18 pm »

I have had luck(albeit very micro managy) with having a clothing only stockpile near my traders depot and then going through and individually selecting all my X or XX clothes and selling them off, depending on fortress size this could take all of your times.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 10:02:34 pm »

And where did you dump that enormous amount of excess meat?

Into literal metric tons of meals that i traded away for everythign the caravan can bring. Like literally.
Liazon comes, priority demand every single item every year and buy it all.
Honestly if you want to go for the "prosperous" fort in a jungle setting, instead of a "war" fort. You can have some insane production ability after a few years, even with a trained full time military.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 01:42:57 am »

And where did you dump that enormous amount of excess meat?

Into literal metric tons of meals that i traded away for everythign the caravan can bring. Like literally.
Liazon comes, priority demand every single item every year and buy it all.
Honestly if you want to go for the "prosperous" fort in a jungle setting, instead of a "war" fort. You can have some insane production ability after a few years, even with a trained full time military.
And where do you dump all THAT crap? I use caravans as garbage disposal trucks and import very little, but still manage to have too much junk.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 06:37:43 am »

A few other things to remember.
The shear animal/spin thread job, process plants job,, mill plants (dimple dye at quern) and dye jobs will suspend frequently, so you have to keep an eye on those workshops

ALL the above related skills raise slowly (include dying), and
Weavers tend to mood, so keep that base covered too.

Good luck with you're xsocksx  :P

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 07:27:06 am »

I stopped using dyes years ago.  It's just not worth the extra hassle, to my mind.  If you want to dye all of your clothing for roleplaying purposes, hey, go for it.  But if you somehow think it's an integral part of the clothing industry, I'm here to tell you it doesn't have to be.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 07:57:19 am »

Dye isnt necessary for the clothing industry at all.

Neither are stockpiles,which is a mistake i see a lot of people doing.
Cloth piles are really not necessary.
Best bet is to build your looms adjacent to your farmers workshops, and build clothing shops adjacent to the looms. (Maybe have a dyer in between if needed)
But it takes so long for "clutter" to matter, compared to the extra walking time of a stockpile more than 3 tiles away, just leave thread and cloth to pile up in your farmers shops and looms.

fluffymormegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 09:18:18 am »

If you want lots of leather, capture something that is butcherable that provides leather.
Or bring dogs on embark.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 12:39:10 pm »

For leather, if you can't just trade for it, I think the typical advice is egg layers.  Turkeys are popular.  Cave crocodiles are apparently even better.  You can also increase the leather yield per animal by using wild animals and severing their extremities before death -- either by dropping them from a great height, or by letting them play in the serrated disc traps.  Butchering & tanning each separate part gives one piece of leather, if the parts are big enough.  (Honestly, though, that's more effort than I'm willing to put in.  I can appreciate it as a design exercise though.)

But really, you can get all the leather you could ever want from the dwarven caravans, as long as you're playing under conditions that let them arrive on schedule (no caravan bugs, no nearly-continual sieges from modded civs, ...).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 01:50:05 pm »

Crocs are great egg layers, but lousy leather producers since they're covered in scales, which, unlike scales from real life crocs (and snakes) can not be used for anything.

Turkeys are great egg layers, but also fairly large, so to get a reasonable amount of leather you're ending up a huge mound of meat (and bone), unless you can apply necro bacon production techniques.

I just use leather for backpacks and early leather armor (and moods), which means that by product of my limited meat production can be used for something, but until leather gets a size modifier it's hard to target production of it without getting far too much meat.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 06:31:55 pm »

One other thing...check your worn clothes carefully...

xsockx = overproduction

XsockX = just right

XXsockXX = underproducing (bad thought)

And thanks for the "use dyed cloth only" tip in orders!
My stupidity never ceases to amaze me.  :D

Goatmaan

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 06:43:11 pm by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3