Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soil Placement  (Read 459 times)

conflictensues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soil Placement
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:28:16 pm »

To be able to fill a block with soil.  The easiest way to implement this may be to take so many bags of dirt and a 'build soil wall,' or 'poor soil' job, but I'm sure there are better ideas as well.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:33:43 pm by conflictensues »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soil Placement
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 09:09:48 pm »

This has been suggested many-a-time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:51:30 am »

It has also been discussed to make sand and clay into finite resources, where each bag of sand depletes the amount of sand in a tile. When/if that is implemented, it's reasonable to think it would be possible to use in reverse and with similar substances and possibly even liquids. There's also a possible tie-in with improved farming, where these kind of methods could be used to improve soil quality.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 05:05:46 am »

I approve of the initial suggestion.

When it comes to clay and sand, of course it makes sense to make them finite. But if 1 tile of sand or clay gives you 1 sand or clay for crafting, that might completely ruin glassmaking and pottery due to scarcity.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 06:38:54 am »

If I've understood it correctly the discussions regarding clay and sand have been that each bag of sand/clay boulder would remove 1/X of a tile. 1/7 would probably result in too rapid a depletion as well, so the water level system probably shouldn't be used directly. It has also been discussed to be able to collect mud to gradually get enough to make a tile of soil of the lowest quality (which could then be improved as part of the farming revamp).