Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [43.05] Desolation 1.5: Attack on Urist  (Read 29779 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
[43.05] Desolation 1.5: Attack on Urist
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:20:30 am »

Desolation
ϟ Version 1.5: Attack on Urist ϟ

DESOLATION is an expansion mod for Dwarf Fortress. It adds more of everything: creatures, plants, entities, materials, buildings, reactions.

It features a world that has been cast into endless night and corruption through the actions of the mysterious Archons. Due to these factors, trees have been supplanted by giant mushrooms, and all surviving animals are mutated. Mutation is observeable in the dwarves themselves, as well (and all the other sentients, of course).

0.42.06 version: 1.1 (May 12 2016)
Link - with DFHack and Therapist

0.43.05 version: 1.5 (Aug 13 2016)
Link - no tools yet

Version 1.5 for ASCII (raws only)

Spoiler: Disclaimers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special Thanks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Desolation Wiki

Friendship is Magma: Earlier version, with pony entities.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:55:50 pm by Valikdu »

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FEATURES, in short
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:21:33 am »

New Entities
-The Equinyr: a playable entity with special materials for the various castes. Each caste, save for the Archons, is assigned a specific set of roles.
-The Unity is an unplayable invader entity. They will attack with groups of monstrous Morphlings, sometimes lead by Corrupt Archons.
-The Crows is another unplayable invader entity. They will send packs of mutated giant crows, lead by strange alien creatures.
-Goblins are replaced with Dusk Elves. That's a whole new bundle of tentacles.
-Existing entities get some reworking, including new positions and individualized weapon sets. Existing entity creatures recieve powerful and rare mutant castes (even the kobolds do).

The Material System
-A new system of tissue materials is applied to all creatures, with four tiers of material strength that are split into levels of value.
-Two groups of wooden materials (one for the fungal trees, another for the wood that's been salvaged from monsters), with varying levels of refinement.

Tainted World
-All wildlife has been affected by the Archon cataclysm, mutating animals and creating "evolved" castes with improved natural weapons and protection
-Many new large roaming creatures: dryads, star beasts...
-New megabeasts, including some with spouse-conversion. The Age of Myth won't end.
-Several species of magical bees can be employed to produce a variety of items

New Plants
-Mushrooms. Mushrooms everywhere. As well as bone spikes, flesh-trees and crystal pillars.
-Most growdurs and values are rebalanced
-New shrub-plants for variety, flavor and special purposes
-Multi-component drinks can be made

Histories of Industry and Arcanite
-In all, 37 new buildings and 1200+ new reactions are present
-The Arcanite Factory buildings will enable you to put EVERYTHING to use! Especially the spines!
-The Crystal Forge will allow the furnishing of rooms with solid gem items!
-The Magic Loom will create a variety of magical fabrics!
-The Organic Refinery will create organic metals and turn bones and chitin into Bonemold!
-You will make GUNS!
-And much more! See the Full Readme for details. Alternatively, see the Wiki.

Building & Reaction Flowcharts: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2s02snKCo9sT2hCbFJMYzl1Uk0&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:57:23 am by Valikdu »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [42.06] Desolation Mod 1.0 - RELEASED!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:38:02 am »

Impressive. Really nice readme too :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 02:31:29 am »

I like the complexity of the mod but is there any flowchart or basic guide to start things off?
Also a bit more details on the new races would be amazing (getting a big vibe of steven universe)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:07:37 am by SharpKris »

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 04:32:05 pm »

I like the complexity of the mod but is there any flowchart or basic guide to start things off?
I've made some just now. Do these help? https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2s02snKCo9sT2hCbFJMYzl1Uk0&usp=sharing

Also a bit more details on the new races would be amazing (getting a big vibe of steven universe)
The Equinyr are a semi-successful result of an experiment of the Archons.
The "semi" is in the fact that, when they are separated from the Archons' influence for long, they lose their mind. You may encounter the "lost" Equinyr as roaming creatures. The Archons have also created the crystal-golems (which turned out to be uncontrollable, and you may also encounter them).
They're a servant species for the Archons, with various castes performing appropriate tasks. I've made the ruby and sapphire castes the toughest ones, as these substances are physically harder... and the amber caste the farming one, as amber is formed from plant sap... and the others are just random. :)
The Archons have also created the Morphling Unity, which might have resulted in "The Cataclysm" that made the entire wold be covered in mushrooms and mutations. The ones that were attending their new creation have gone crazy, which is why the Unity will invade you.
The Crows are just space aliens. I really liked the Morrigi from Sword of the Stars, so I put them in the mod! With appropriate body detail plan (they're described as having several sets of hears and lungs, so I had to really give those to them, with an appropriately enlarged number of ribs surrounding them). Each Morrigi would be very formidable, so I gave them the numerous "servitor" castes (giant crows and crow-men). They use a unique metal, unobtainable by other means.
The Dusk Elves are... well, just drow, really. But without the spider fetish; instead, there's tentacles. Their mutant castes may get increasingly large amounts of tentacles.

Impressive.
S-senpai... noticed me!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 04:34:50 pm by Valikdu »

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:43:30 pm »

been gathering plants from the outside trees getting skycap and trying to make it into booze but for some reason it doesn't show as drink on my z menue

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:05:14 am »

Um... are yous sure? I've tried it just now; gathered sky cap spore pods (the fruit) show up in the kitchen menu for me, and the "brew drink from fruit" reaction works on them normally.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [42.06] Desolation Mod 1.1 - Endless Nights
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 08:12:24 am »

New version. I've done some tuning to the tissue materials; butchering the "historical" animals (the ones that killed someone) should be non-problematic now.

Also, I've added in a new semi-megabeast.

I'll switch over to 0.43 once it becomes stable and has the tools.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:40:39 am by Valikdu »

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [42.06] Desolation Mod 1.2 - Endless Nights
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 08:08:37 am »

I've made an update to the 0.43 version of DF. The tools (DFHack, Therapist) for this version aren't ready yet, though.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12182

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
Re: [43.04] Desolation Mod 1.2
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 05:23:40 pm »

Hey there!

I think this mod sounds great! I love the grim and macabre vibe of it.  I was just wondering if there was a wiki or is it all in the read-me? I'm excited about trying a mod ( I hardly ever deviate from vanilla ) for once.

Sorry if you explained it somewhere in this thread, I must have glazed over it if so.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:19:48 am »

I think this mod sounds great! I love the grim and macabre vibe of it.  I was just wondering if there was a wiki or is it all in the read-me?

Thanks!

Um. I haven't actually thought about a wiki... Do mods usually have those? There's only the readme (and the flowchart page) now, but now that you've brought up the idea, it sounds good. Maybe I'll make one.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:36 pm »

I think this mod sounds great! I love the grim and macabre vibe of it.  I was just wondering if there was a wiki or is it all in the read-me?

Thanks!

Um. I haven't actually thought about a wiki... Do mods usually have those? There's only the readme (and the flowchart page) now, but now that you've brought up the idea, it sounds good. Maybe I'll make one.

My pleasure! I honestly have no idea! I've never used mods that completely change the whole landscape/critters/etc. before. I don't really know the "norm" for these haha. I'm sure the readme is good enough (and the flowchart you mentioned).

Once I figure out what the Armok is up with my laptop that won't let me start Dwarf Fortress 43.04, I'll try it out! :)
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

philli46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 06:21:47 pm »

Any chance you could release this so i could put it on mac?

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [43.05] Desolation Mod 1.3
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 06:39:17 am »

The problem is that the graphics pack doesn't work with OSX. I may make a special version of the raws in the future, to use with OSX.

The Windows version is updated for the 64bit game.

philli46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [43.05] Desolation Mod 1.3
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 01:14:06 am »

If you would be so kind, the mod looks awesome and I don't need fancy graphics. ASCII is just fine! Thanks for the consideration!
Pages: [1] 2 3