Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Serial killers instead of vampires  (Read 4912 times)

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Serial killers instead of vampires
« on: April 28, 2016, 05:29:15 pm »

I don´t know who came up with the idea of vampire dwarfs, but for my it really sucks!
I mean really? VAMPIRE DWARVES? sorry but I think its a dumb concept.

If the idea was to add an intriguing, suspenseful feature maybe it could be better if it was a serial killer dwarf

But maybe there´s a way to deactivate vampires, if that´s the case please tell me how to do it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:51:10 pm by Ezekhiel2517 »
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: No vampires
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 06:21:03 pm »

Is your suggestion to remove a feature? A lot of your suggestions seem to have been well thought out, but this one seems to amount to, "I don't like it!"

Anyway, there's an advanced world generation option to change the amount I believe.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No vampires
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:49:52 pm »

Is your suggestion to remove a feature? A lot of your suggestions seem to have been well thought out, but this one seems to amount to, "I don't like it!"

Anyway, there's an advanced world generation option to change the amount I believe.
I guess thats my suggestion, or at least change it to something "dwarfier" than vampires! I dont like it, and I think it haves no relation with dwarves at all. If it was vampires attacking the fortress that may be ok (for anyone who fancies vampires at least) but to me a vampire dwarf is absurd and kind of kills the immersion. I insist, maybe serial killer would be better and more believable
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serial killers instead of vampires
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 07:24:29 pm »

Souns like you're speciesist...  :P

Really, given the werefoos1 and the number of different races in general (in our world dwarves are odd versions of standard humanoids,  in a fortress world the dwarves are as much a standard as humans, elves, goblins...) the vampirism trait would have to be unusual to be Human-only (there should be equivalent themed conditions for other races, for balance) or Dwarves would have to be unusual to be uniquely vampirism-proof (again, some balance necessary).

As it is, I think it's an acceptable world conceit, although I never really liked the werebeast/vampire/bogeyman additions when they started, and became (literally!) a game-changer..

1 Is it that any sentient-race member can have any non-sentient beast form, or am I forgetting something?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 09:26:21 pm »

...what.

Whoa whoa whoa.

First off,

I don't know who came up with the idea of vampire dwarfs, but for me it really sucks!
I mean, really? Vampire dwarves? Sorry, but I think its a dumb concept.

• No actual content, just complaining
  • Toady developed them
  • The current versatile "syndrome" mechanic is a result of his meticulous work on vampires
  • They're actually quite good

How are vampires good?

• They make immigrants a little less "easy laborers"
  • They add more challenge to the mid- to end-game
  • They are a unique type of challenge, infiltrating your fortress rather than just berserking on it

Also,

• Masterwork has what you want
  • SRSLY Y U DISS TOADY'S WORK
  • Vampires are intriguing and suspenseful
  • Your entire post is just "hey i hate vampires this is great!: serial killer dorfs"

Why not killer dorfs?

• Their psychology isn't like that, so they'd be really rare
  • Dwarves are actually quite good at dealing with crime, but vampires are both tough and self-spreading (or at least will be once Toady adds spreading vampire bite curses)

Furthermore,

• You can deactivate vampires in worldgen

And most of all,

• Vampires have a use. Every single thing in DF has a use. How would serial killers have a use? Every challenge in this game can be twisted around and used against other challenges - see Doomforests and their "well there's a giant goat so we killed it with a goblin siege that we killed with a vampire that we killed with a cult that we killed with another cult that we killed with yet another giant snail".

• Why the circus would we need to remove vampires to add serial killers? Maybe they could be good, maybe not, but vampires are here to stay.
    So I respectfully call your post an asdostel bushos.

Eshononrel.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:31:31 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:31:10 pm »

I don't have a problem with vampires, but I like the idea of psychopath dwarves/citizens once in a while.  It seems realistic, and like something the existing personality system could create, like low empathy, high anger, etc.  Arsonists \could be interesting too.  Maybe thieves and muggers, but that implies personal property. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 12:57:06 am »

The game seems to avoid using modern concepts like serial killers, which are linked to all sorts of modern maladies, capitalism, crumbling institutions, the weakening of the Signifier... It just doesn't fit in the meaning-laden world of the dwarfs. A bloodthirsty decadent and eccentric aristocrat, now you're talking.

I'd actually like it if the vampires had more "tells"... laziness, weird fetishes. They already wear dwarf bone earrings, so that's a thing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 01:06:50 am »

Actually, serial killers aren't a modern concept, it's just the name for them is modern.  They used to just call them "depraved villains" or something.

I'd suspect with further personality advancements, there will be serial killers on the loose, as well as more mundane criminals, it's just that vampires allow for more clear transitions between a normal dwarf that mindlessly obeys the hivemind and a supernatural subversive dwarf that murders the other ants in their rest cycles.

That said, this suggestion is a bit nonsense.  If you don't like night creatures, just use the worldgen options to turn them off, problem solved.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 08:01:30 am »

Actually, serial killers aren't a modern concept, it's just the name for them is modern.  They used to just call them "depraved villains" or something.

I'd suspect with further personality advancements, there will be serial killers on the loose, as well as more mundane criminals, it's just that vampires allow for more clear transitions between a normal dwarf that mindlessly obeys the hivemind and a supernatural subversive dwarf that murders the other ants in their rest cycles.

That said, this suggestion is a bit nonsense.  If you don't like night creatures, just use the worldgen options to turn them off, problem solved.

I agree with the "depraved villains" concept, surely they didnt call them serial killers, but I´m sure that depraved murderers aren´t exclusive to our times only.

Ok so it seems I´m the only one that doesnt fancy pale sexy, blood soaked beards dorfs. Maybe its because when someone says vampire I imagine some kind of twilight model boy with a glued beard. Thanks for the tip on worldgen!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 08:33:07 am »

Perhaps the problem is that you are not imagining dwarves to be sexy enough to be vampires.
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 09:10:04 am »

Rogues? Techically a player-controlled adventurer is a rogue (and it is, after all, a rogue-like we are playing!) and subscribes to as much or as little of the behaviours that NPCs are hard-coded to as the player him/herself decides, for the most part.

Whilst this needn't be an omnicidal maniac, dealing death upon any or every living being they think they can get away with attcking, the Adventurer is certainly capable of being amorally aloof and unconcerned by basic.cameraderie with peers, etc...

OTOH, reserve 'Rogue' to a future appearance of another player's Adventurer invegling their way into you active fortress, mid-play, in some mythical multiplayer and mixed-mode capable release. Player A's adventurer just needs to tag along behind some migrants found migrating across the landscape, effects a disguise as suitable to be one of them and then, on entering the fortress, starts receiving 'compulsions' or orders from the fortress's 'controlling entity', which he or she need not follow, but might at least feign to some degree whilst scoping out the fortress and learning its secrets and pocketing its artefacts and maybe occasionally bumping (otherwise) solitary dwarves off when the hope is that the fortress controller isn't viewing that precise location..

Well,  just an off(/over) the wall idea...  That isn't even in the far-future-of-the-fortress official leaning...  ;)

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 09:54:40 am »

I don't know, for me serial killers seem much more un-dorfy than vampires... it just doesn't seem to 'fit' dwarven psychology to be a serial killer. A dwarf might kill someone in a brawl if he's enraged, or when struck by sudden inspiration for a dwarf bone hatch cover. But plotting and carrying out ritualistic murders to satisfy some sadistic urges? I just don't see that as something a dwarf would do. I guess vampires are un-dorfy too in that sense, but they're supposed to be. The whole point of vampirism is that it's a curse that turns you into a monster, a twisted mockery of what you used to be.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 07:01:54 pm »

So I respectfully call your post an asdostel bushos.

Eshononrel.
Is that dwarven? Badmost spawn? This post is the only result on Google for asdostel bushos. Also, goodexit? Really? I'd recommend just not speaking any dwarven. At least not until it's actually possible to do so in a way other than just replacing most English words with dwarven, but then leaving ones like with, and having no form of plural or tense to your words, and even then outside of slight novelty, it just makes it seem like you're intentionally being difficult to communicate with.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 08:42:25 pm »

It's novelty. Plus you can infer that I am insulting his idea, so the point comes across.

Also, you can't directly translate idioms from most languages. I will admit I used a crappy translation, but it was quick and served its purpose: fun!

Basically a loose translation.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:54:03 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 12:31:50 am »

Also, murderers are already in the game, but dwarven personality and ethics makes them rare.  If you mod dwarves to be more like goblins (higher cruelty, less empathy, less of a punishment for murder), you'll see a lot more murders.
Pages: [1] 2